Alpha Video Training

Thread: Import Problem - Character field imports with zeroes

Real Name
    Charlain Fondren

Default Import Problem - Character field imports with zeroes

I'm importing an Excel 4.0 Spreadsheet as a new table using the ASCII Import Option. For some reason, some of my CHARACTER fields are importing with decimals and four zeroes on the end.

The decimals and zeroes aren't there in the Excel spreadsheet, but show up in the Import Genie Field Information dialog box. I'm ending up with zip codes that are 35401.0000, phone numbers that are 5552255.0000, etc. If it were just those types of fields, I could handle it by setting the field length to 5 for Zips and 7 for Phone Numbers. But fields like Driver's License number and Apartment Number are also adding .0000 when imported - and those aren't always the same field length.

I've verified that the field type in the Spreadsheet and the Import Dialog Box is set to Character.

Can anyone help me figure out what's causing this, so I can get this very complex import operation done?

Real Name
    David Abbott

Default Re: Import Problem - Character field imports with zeroes

Quote Originally Posted by Charlain View Post
    I'm importing an Excel 4.0 Spreadsheet as a new table using the ASCII Import Option. For some reason, some of my CHARACTER fields are importing with decimals and four zeroes on the end.

The decimals and zeroes aren't there in the Excel spreadsheet, but show up in the Import Genie Field Information dialog box. I'm ending up with zip codes that are 35401.0000, phone numbers that are 5552255.0000, etc. If it were just those types of fields, I could handle it by setting the field length to 5 for Zips and 7 for Phone Numbers. But fields like Driver's License number and Apartment Number are also adding .0000 when imported - and those aren't always the same field length.

I've verified that the field type in the Spreadsheet and the Import Dialog Box is set to Character.

Can anyone help me figure out what's causing this, so I can get this very complex import operation done?
    I had this for phone number imports, but it was a good time ago.

I think I solved it by exporting the file as a comma delimited text file, then worked on importing the text file to a table I had structured beforehand to receive the data.