Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Network Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Problem?

Not sure which forum to post this to.......but here it goes. :)

I have 9 networked computers (cashiers) running Alpha5v5 in a retail setting. Every day we have at least one complete freeze which freezes all of our cashiers when an Alpha error message appears on one of the computers. It typically happens right after a cashier has scanned an item to be paid. Once all of the computers are brought back up and the cashier scans the exact same item, it will take the item just fine. I'm beginning to think it may have to do with too much traffic on my network with all of the cashiers checking people out at the same time....but don't know if it is an Alpha software problem....or a network problem. I am using a simple peer to peer network using either Windows XP home or pro on all of the computers instead of using a server with a Server operating system with Client Access Licenses on all the cashiers.

Does anyone know how I can tell if it a hardware or software problem? I would hate to upgrade all of my equipment and operating systems to switch to a true network only to find out it was a simple Alpha programming problem that could have been fixed.

I would appreciate any advice that is offered. I'm clueless and really don't even know how to fix it or what kind of person to hire to try and figure it out for me. :)

Re: Network Problem?

That all machines are affected leaves open the possibility that your hub is going bad. They are relatively cheap and swapping in a new one would be a quick way to see if that's where the problem lies.

(1) Is the "server" (where the main application files are stored) also being used as a station for scanning etc?

(2) Are you shadowing the "workstations"?

We always felt that if there were more than 5 (a somewhat arbitrary number but based on our experience) stations then you needed a dedicated server. Shadowing will cut network traffic dramatically.

You don't say if it's the same machine that gets the error or if it appears randomly among the 9.

What is the Alpha error that appears? If it has anything to do with indexes or temporary files you could have a manifestation of the $$*.mpx files problem. However, this problem is usually restricted to a single machine and wouldn't affect others.

MOre information would be helpful.
    Finian

Comment

We problbly need just a little more information to begin thinking about this.

Is it one specific machine, or randomly any one of the 9 machines. Is it the machine that holds the databases?

If you can run the machines independently, would it happen?

Do you need to keep all 9 systems tied together, or can they be broken down into smaller groups?

I realize that you are trying to keep a business running, but some troubleshooting may be necessary to get to the root of this issue.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for you responses:

It happens on different machines at different times. It never happens on the machine that holds the database. I use it as a server...although technically it is just another desktop unit. I do not use the "server" that holds the database for scanning merchandise.

I have never seen it happen when I run the program only on the server....I have never run the other machines independently as there are no databases on them and the computers have to be linked to the server to run the program.

I do have to run the 8 cashiers together with the 9th computer holding the database.

I don't know much about shadowing....I'm not sure. I have one alpha5v5 program and a 10 user run time on the others.....is that what you mean by shadowing? Sorry for my ignorance on this....:)

When you say you typically need a dedicated server with over 5 networked computers.....do you mean we need an real server with the server operating system....or would my desktop be OK to run as a server in a peer to peer network as long as I am not using it also as a cashier doing the scanning etc.

Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact error message...unhandled exception seems to be coming to mind....but being over 40...I can't remember what I had for breakfast. :)

I do get tons of mpx files that build on my server database....but have never seem them on the runtime computers.

Hope some makes sense..... Thanks again for helping to troubleshoot.

Comment

"Shadowing" ... is a shorthand reference to "network optimization". Once optimized the local workstations run shadow copies of the database which exist on each local machine. Read the help file topics discussing networks, network optimization, and optimization for details.

"dedicated server"... I think Finian was suggesting a single machine that's not used for any other applications during the day. It need not be a machine with server software loaded, but it's a machine that isn't used for any other purpose.

"tons of mpx files" ... these should be deleted when no one on the network is using the application. Not sure the best sequence or process to use. Perhaps others will offer suggestions.

Comment

Tom has it right - with 9 concurrent users, I would not use the "server" for any other purpose - other than required maintenance when others are not using the system. Beyond that it is just another regular machine plugged into the hub.

The error message content is important. Next time that it appears, take a screen shot and save it. Generally the "unhandled exception" error occurs after a shutdown but has been seen while running an application. I seem to recall that mis-defined calculated fields have been implicated in its appearance elsewhere.

If you are not using network optimization (shadowing) you probably should be. Whatever additional administration is required (and that can be reduced to a minimum is more than made up for by improved network performance.

Removal of the accumulating .mpx files can be easily automated.
            Finian

Comment

Finian

Sounds good. OK....migh be silly question but.... I had someone write our original program a few years ago and he no longer is available. How do I tell if he set up the shadowing on our system?

Kim

Comment

On any workstation you could look at the shortcut details (right click, properties) you use to start the application.

If the application is being opened is on the server, then the application is not shadowed.

If the application is located on the workstation in a location like
                C:\Program Files\A5V5Runtime\Shadow\ApplicationName\ApplicationName.adb
                then it is.

Finian
                Finian

Comment

Working...
                X