Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple users for WAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple users for WAS

I am new to the Web Application Server, and am considering using it. I have developed a desktop application for Home Grocery Delivery, which I have also used to interface with the web by using a commercial shopping cart that accepted using a database to create dynamic search pages.
    I was thinking that purchasing the Alpha Five Multipurpose Application might jump start getting my application on the web. (you can see some screen shots and an example of the current web interface at www.urbangrocery.com). Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
    Also, once I purchase the WAS (I am now running Alpha Five V7), can I use it to host multiple instances of the same application at different subdomains, such as joesgrocery.urbangrocery.com or billsgrocery.urbangrocery.com, or does each require its own WAS license?
    Richard Urban
    Richard Urban

Grocery Delivery Software for Stores and Entrepreneurs: http://www.urbangrocery.com

Re: Multiple users for WAS

I've asked the question before about subdomains, that will take just one license. Only you are going to need the Apache Module, and have to call Sales directly for that. Otherwise, you won't be able to configure for subdomains.

You are in the v7 forum, but you should probably move up to V8 and look at the new AlphaSports. I understand its much improved and has actual links to the payment gateway (which V7 did not). Many have build their own store, and many have used the AlphaSports as a launching pad.

If you are trying to appeal to different small grocery stores with your subdomain, you might play with an "affiliate model" instead of the subdomains. Here each store has an ID and the ID is affixed to the URL so your app knows who the request came from.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve,
      I was looking at your Alpha WAS slide presentation, and I plan to set up my own server. Thanks for making that presentation available.
      My basic model is that independent delivery persons who shop at a local grocery store will be able to use the Urban Grocery software to set up an existing database of items configured for their unique store. I already have implemented that software. Now, I am working on getting the web ordering part set up. Since each person will have control of their own database of items and prices and locations of items within the store, each will be independent, rather that using one large database of items that is filtered. When you say "Here each store has an ID and the ID is affixed to the URL so your app knows who the request came from.", do you mean applying a filter to one large database?
      Richard
      Richard Urban

Grocery Delivery Software for Stores and Entrepreneurs: http://www.urbangrocery.com

Comment

Yes, one large database. URL like this: www.grocerystore.com/orders.a5w?store=123.

123 gets compared to your table of stores, if found it puts 123 in to a session varaible which controls everything from then out, even controlling what images, logos, urls, email addresses appear. If not found, your screen can ask them to clarify what store they are looking for, or reject the request.

The only way your subdomain plan will work is if you use the Apache Module. If you build a completely different application for each store, I think you will need a separate WAS licence for each since that consitutes different "customers" and that's one of the criteria. Check with Alpha on that.

I'd build one app. If you build multiple, you'll have to struggle to fix all of them when one shows a weakness or when someone wants an enhancement you'd like on all of them. Does Yahoo! have a different database for each user? No, just one, and that's the beauty of web apps.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

I developed a web application that uses a temporary file for invoice header, customer info, and order items. It collects that information on one page and then will append it to the permanent order files and delete the temporary ones.
          However, to do this, i realize that I have to make it so only the current user can use that page while the order is in progress, or else anyone else can see it and change it.
          Would it work to make a temporary variable based on the session id when the user starts the order, and test for that variable when anyone else tries to load the page. If the variable exists, they will be redirected to another page. The variable would be deleted when they submit the order, or after a given period of time.
          If anyone knows if this will work or not, I will appreciate the advice.
          Richard
          Richard Urban

Comment

You're sort of hamstringing your application that way. You will be better off reading up on Dialog components. Use a dialog to collect their information and publish it to the main db when they press submit. Any number of users can be on the same dialog with no conflict. You'd want an autoincrement field in your table to ensure each user created a unique record ID.

You're obviously using a Grid. The other way is to keep your grid as is but check the Add Records Only option. That will keep anyone from seeing any existing data. Again, be sure to have an autoincrement field in your table so each record is unique. This may be an easier solution for you since you already have the grid running.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve,
              Thanks for the advice. I decided to continue to use the linking grid. However, you cannot just use the "add new records only" feature. If you do, there is no parent record for the grid to synchronize on. You have to display the record. However, I have hidden the fields, and only require them to enter their phone number to start and to generate the invoice number and user ID. Then I get the rest of the information later using the order head and customer tables.
              One problem, though is that if another user starts a new record, it does not automatically become the current record that is displayed. Therefore, the new customer will be synching on the previous customer's id number.
              Is there a way to have the displayed record be the one that was just added? Maybe a script can be added to the on save event, but I am not sure how to write it. Any help would be appreciated.
              Richard
              Richard Urban

Comment

I don't understand everything you're doing but you need to create a unique id when they save a record that includes their session.id. Every user has a unique session.id. You could tag the record with that value and then use it to call up the correct record. Not sure how you are going to do all that, perhaps with the Grid Events. The session.id is only valid "during their session" so it doesn't do any good to save it to the database. But you can use it to identify the person as they move through your system.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Here is the application, so far. As you can see, when you add more than one record, the record pointer, or current record, remains at the first record. I just need to know how to tell the WAS to make the last record (the one just added) the current record in the top grid component, set_invoice_num. This is easy to do in the desktop (setting the current record in a form or browse), but I do not know how to do it in the WAS.
                  Richard
                  Richard Urban

Comment

Working...
                  X