Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help needed to copy one set of tables to another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed to copy one set of tables to another

I have a DB which is based on Alphasports supplied with Alpha 5 V5 (see attachment).

At the moment I enter the Customers order information into the Customers order form and then enter similar data into the Purchase order form. The data provided is only sample data and some of these orders can contain 40-50 items.

What I would like to do is have a button on one of these forms that I can press which automatically copies the necessary information from the Customers order form, to the Purchase orders form. It must be noted that each of the forms is based on parent/child tables with one to many relationships and I am sure I won't need to copy every field from the first parent/child table to the second as the tables have some field rules set.

I have looked into this using Genies and Xbasic, I have also found some code (from this messageboard) which allows me to duplicate a parent/child record in the same tables, but from there on my lack of knowledge is letting me down. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The code I have so far can be found in the "on push" event on the "Copy order?" button of the Customer order form.

Thanks,

Alastair

Re: Help needed to copy one set of tables to another

How about creating 2 simple "append" operations, and then placing these operations under a button on the customer order form?

1st append is from Customer order to Purchase order, appending all necessary fields.

2nd append is from customer line item to purchase line item based on customer #.

The button would go on the customer order form and be titled "create Purchase order" Under the button, you would run 2 saved operations as described above.

There is obviously more to it like maintaining the integrity of the customer number and making sure the line items in the purchase order actually align with the customer in the purchase order, but this should get you started.

Tom

Comment

Tom, thanks for your reply I have looked at an append operation, but it is keeping the relationship between the parent/child tables that is important. Still I will have another look at this, at least using the append command can be done through the Genies!

Comment

What you would do with the append, is to create a purchase order record from the client record (table to table), not within the set. Then,create an append of that customer order line item table to the purchase order line item table. To do this, you may need to find out the PO number, and pass that into the PO append. That will maintain your integrity.

Comment

Tom, the append operation may do this but I am struggling a bit! I only want to append the current order items that are shown on the form. The append operation doesn't seem to let you filter the fields for the currently displayed records on a form, or am I missing something?

Comment

Remember, I said that you will need to identify this order in some way, then pass that identifier into the append filter. This can be accomplished by using ask variables in the append filter.

Filter:

Cust_no = Var->askn_Customer_Number .and.order_date = var->askd_Order_date

Comment

Tom, forget my last post I have this sorted now (the filtering is done from the button), but I have another problem!

The append command works as far as it goes, but for some reason the field rules for the table I am copying to aren't being followed when the append operation is used.

Is there a way around this?

Comment

Append operations don't obey field rules. My guess is that the thinking behind that is that the person building the append knows what they are doing, so no need to inforce.

What isn't happening?

Comment

I am learning fast! I am nearly there with the header table, except for the fact that because the field rules don't work I cannot get it to append the -01, -02 to the job_ref to create the order no. However I have got this to work by using a string expression in the append operation e.g. alltrim(job_ref)+"01", not really what I want but its nearly there!

However, with the field rules not working I cannot use the append query to copy from the invoice_items table to the order_items table because the order_no (which is made up from job_ref+(a count of the orders) e.g. 1234-01 does physically not exist in the invoice_items table as a field! It needs to be copied from the parent table somehow??!!

To see what I mean try manually entering an order in the purchase orders form in the database attached to the first post in this thread - this may explain the problem better than I am doing here!!

Press the second button down from the top of the main menu then fill in each of the header fields most will either auto fill or provide drop down boxes (done by using field rules).

Then fill in a couple of line items for this order in the subform (browse) you don't need to enter item numbers as this is automatically entered (again using field rules) after the rest of the row is filled in.

Is there any other way of doing this? I'm open to any suggestions!
                  Last edited by Alastair; 07-20-2007, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Alastair,

I haven't looked at your sample database so forgive me if these are stupid questions:

1) Why are you assigning new order numbers when copying records from the Customers order form to the Purchases Order form?

2) Why is your order number being used for two purposes? (to uniquely identify the order, and to tell the user a sequence number) This almost always leads to trouble. In my experience database fields should be used (strictly) for a single purpose.

3) Why are you using two tables in the first place? Couldn't the status of an order be tracked using a single field in one table?

Having said all that I hasten to add that you can certainly achieve your goal but it will involve a fair amount of custom coding. Similar examples have been posted within the last month or two.

Later...

Here's the thread I was thinking of:
                    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=67763

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for your reply, sorry for my late response.

The Job No is our internal reference for each order we take.

The order number isn't different except for the last 2 digits see below:

e.g. If our Job Number was 1234 the first order for the items we need to order in to fulfill this would be 1234-01 and would increment each time we place another order. 1234-02, 1234-03 etc... The reason for doing this is to distinguish between different orders but still maintain the traceability back to the original job number.

I am not saying this is the best method but this has been developed from the companies methods of ordering before we started using databases.

Comment

Tom,

I have had a look at the example you gave me on the link above, it looks like I am in for some reading up on XBasic! I have only used it for basic tasks before and this code is a mystery to me at the moment!

How do you know how many tables you have open on a form to use statements such as "t2 = table.current(2) 'pointer to SpecRev table"?

Is there any good reference material on the web with example Alpha five code to help us xbasic novices?

My database is different to the one shown in the example, the data is on two seperate forms could this code still work with modifications?

Comment

Can anyone help me with this - still struggling with this Xbasic

Comment

Pls confirm that the "Customer order form" you are talking about is the form called "Orders".

Later...

The Purchase Orders form is based on the Orders set. In that set the Vendors table is linked as child to the order_header table. This suggests that no matter how many items are included in an order they all come from the same vendor. Is this right? In the Invoice set, supporting the "Orders" form for your "customer information" the Vendors table is linked to the items (not the header). The two set structures do not seem to be compatible. What am I missing?

Tell us what fields from which tables you want to copy over to the Orders set.

Thanks.
                            Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 08-06-2007, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the late reply I have had a lot of problems with my PC today! The latest problem is I have just updated Alpha Five to the latest update and all my reports that were working yesterday are all messed up!!!??? Has anyone else got this problem?

Anway back to the original question...

The Order form is the form which details the customers order items to us.

The Purchase Orders form is the form which details our order to our supplier, they don't both hold the same information necesarily due to us stocking some items.

The form called "Order" is based on the invoice_header table this has a subform (browse) based on invoice_items table, this form is virtually identical to the Alphasports form with a few alterations here and there.

The form called "Purchase Orders" is based on the order_header table this has a subform (browse) based on order_items table.

What I would like to do is press a button on the Order form and copy the invoice_items information along with the Job number from the invoice_header table, so it would make a duplicate (almost) entry in the Purchase Orders form.

When this has been duplicated into the Purchase orders form I would then be able to go into this form and edit items e.g. delete items we already have in stock.

Sorry for the long explanation and thanks for looking at this!

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                              X