Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Slow Refresh Rate of Screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slow Refresh Rate since last update

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
    I am not seeing any problem under vista or XP. Do you know if the problem is specific to a particular database, or can you duplicate it with Alphasports?

If you can duplicate with Alphasports, is there a particular form that shows the problem, or do they all? Can you describe exactly what you are doing.

If it is specific to your database, can you send us a copy to test on our machines.

Thanks.
    I've sent a copy along with a bug report for you good folks to review. Thanks.
    Jim Coltz
    Alpha Custom Database Solutions, LLC
    A5CustomSolutions.com
    [email protected]

Comment

Re: Slow Refresh Rate since last update

Originally posted by Jim Coltz View Post
      I've sent a copy along with a bug report for you good folks to review. Thanks.
      Can you please resend your message. I got the email, but there was no attachment.

Thanks

Comment

Re: Slow Refresh Rate of Screens

Ok, to determine if the bug is due to presence of *ANY* menu, or just a single popup menu conditional command: does running the form with a custom menu based on the BLANK menu, that has only one entry still run slowly (i.e. just add an item to the blank menu called 'test'). If the answer is yes, then the problem has to exist generically (i.e. in all menus on forms) - if the simple menu with a single entry runs as quickly as having no menu, then next thing I would like to try is narrowing down what submenu of the standard form menu has the problem - by starting with a new custom menu based on the 'form' menu. and removing pulldowns one at a time (i.e. remove the File menu, then remove the edit menu etc...)

Thanks,
        Cian

Comment

I wanted to report that I am seeing some of the same symptoms that are being reported in this thread.

I have only one database out of several that I have noticed this in. When I open the database I have a main form that auto loads. When this form is loading you are able to watch the menu bar populate its self from left to right I know when it is done because the "Minimize, Restore, Maximize" are the last buttons to be painted on the screen. Brand New forms and all currently existing forms display the same symptoms. This database is also experiencing the same bug that is reported here.

This problem is very pronounced on my workstation, on another workstation with the same database there is not a problem. The workstation that doesn't have issues is also newer and more powerful than my workstation. So I believe that workstation configuration may play a role in this problem.

On the other hand, several other version 8 databases that I use on my workstation do not have the issue. So I also believe that the issue is caused in part by something in the database.

Both databases that I tested are using the <System Menu> for every menu and right click option on the form.

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Thank you,
          -Andy
          Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Cian Chambliss View Post
            Ok, to determine if the bug is due to presence of *ANY* menu, or just a single popup menu conditional command: does running the form with a custom menu based on the BLANK menu, that has only one entry still run slowly (i.e. just add an item to the blank menu called 'test'). If the answer is yes, then the problem has to exist generically (i.e. in all menus on forms) - if the simple menu with a single entry runs as quickly as having no menu, then next thing I would like to try is narrowing down what submenu of the standard form menu has the problem - by starting with a new custom menu based on the 'form' menu. and removing pulldowns one at a time (i.e. remove the File menu, then remove the edit menu etc...)

Thanks,
            Cian
            When I used a menu that only had one item "test" the problem was still there but the length in time to fully paint the menu was radically reduced with just one option "test" and then the "Minimize, Restore, Maximize" buttons.

With the database that has the problem opened and in a maximized view. I open the form in design mode. Then Minimize the Alpha5 application, so I am looking at my desktop, then Maximize Alpha5 the menu bar will go thru the slow repaint. *Edit this also occurs if the form is in "Form view" mode as well.

If I change tabs from a Form in design mode to a xbasic script in the code editor I again see the menu bar do a slow refresh. This happens on switching to the code editor and again on the returning to the Form in design mode.

Another symptom -
            Like I mentioned previously I only have one database currently with this issue. In the "problem database" when I move my mouse over the menu options there is a "mouse over" event that causes the menu option to highlight. This highlight is typically 2 menu's choices behind where my mouse is. I can physically see the menu options flash on the screen, i.e. they disappear, reappear displayed as if mouse was hovering over them, then dissappear, then reappear as if the mouse was no longer hovering over them. In the "Good database" I do not see this delay when I mouse over the menu options. In this test I was just moving the mouse from side to side over the menu options monitoring the result with out actually clicking anything.

As I mentioned previously If I open a form in design view, I see the delay in menu repaint. If I change from "design view" to "form view" I see the delay again. Also same with going back to "design view" back to "form view" the menu repaint is very delayed. But if I close the form by clicking the "x" I do not see a menu repaint issue (only one form open, control panel with "form" tab selected is in background). So by closing the form I am going back to the control panel, the default menu attached to the control panel with "Forms" tab selected does not cause an issue.
            Last edited by aschone; 07-25-2007, 05:19 PM.
            Andrew

Comment

[QUOTE=aschone;426813] I only have one database currently with this issue. In the "problem database" when I move my mouse over the menu options there is a "mouse over" event that causes the menu option to highlight. This highlight is typically 2 menu's choices behind where my mouse is. I can physically see the menu options flash on the screen, i.e. they disappear, reappear displayed as if mouse was hovering over them, then dissappear, then reappear as if the mouse was no longer hovering over them. In the "Good database" I do not see this delay when I mouse over the menu options. In this test I was just moving the mouse from side to side over the menu options monitoring the result with out actually clicking anything.
              [QUOTE]

Is this database where you could zip up & send to alpha to play with?

The problems I am seeing I do not see all the time. I have not figured out when it will do it. So I feel if I sent them what I have, Alpha will say it works good.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojack View Post
                Is this database where you could zip up & send to alpha to play with?

The problems I am seeing I do not see all the time. I have not figured out when it will do it. So I feel if I sent them what I have, Alpha will say it works good.
                I would need to ask permission from the database owner, but prior to me asking can an Alpha5 employee respond to let me know if they do need a sample submitted? Hate to ask for permission if it wont be needed.
                Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by aschone View Post
                  When I used a menu that only had one item "test" the problem was still there but the length in time to fully paint the menu was radically reduced with just one option "test" and then the "Minimize, Restore, Maximize" buttons.

With the database that has the problem opened and in a maximized view. I open the form in design mode. Then Minimize the Alpha5 application, so I am looking at my desktop, then Maximize Alpha5 the menu bar will go thru the slow repaint. *Edit this also occurs if the form is in "Form view" mode as well.

If I change tabs from a Form in design mode to a xbasic script in the code editor I again see the menu bar do a slow refresh. This happens on switching to the code editor and again on the returning to the Form in design mode.

Another symptom -
                  Like I mentioned previously I only have one database currently with this issue. In the "problem database" when I move my mouse over the menu options there is a "mouse over" event that causes the menu option to highlight. This highlight is typically 2 menu's choices behind where my mouse is. I can physically see the menu options flash on the screen, i.e. they disappear, reappear displayed as if mouse was hovering over them, then dissappear, then reappear as if the mouse was no longer hovering over them. In the "Good database" I do not see this delay when I mouse over the menu options. In this test I was just moving the mouse from side to side over the menu options monitoring the result with out actually clicking anything.

As I mentioned previously If I open a form in design view, I see the delay in menu repaint. If I change from "design view" to "form view" I see the delay again. Also same with going back to "design view" back to "form view" the menu repaint is very delayed. But if I close the form by clicking the "x" I do not see a menu repaint issue (only one form open, control panel with "form" tab selected is in background). So by closing the form I am going back to the control panel, the default menu attached to the control panel with "Forms" tab selected does not cause an issue.
                  I am seeing all of the problems you mention on my databases. Hope the Alpha 5 engineers can solve the problem, as my database has become unusable due to the delays of menu and toolbar repainting everytime I change screens.

Comment

Have either of you sent a sample database to Alpha? The owner and chief programmer for Alpha are trying to help you, but unless you can demonstrate the problem, they can't help you.

Put some dummy data and send it to them with good instructions for repeating the problem.
                    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                    972 524 8714
                    [email protected]

Comment

We have not been able to duplicate this, but we did do some profiling on our code and have been able to add some optimizations that might help.

If you are seeing any slowness, here is a beta of the next patch that we will be releasing. Please let us know if this has made any improvements.

BetaPatch is now available. Download page for beta patch can be found at:
                      http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a...chdownload.htm

Comment

Selwyn, I just tested the update - super major improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had not previously been haveing anything to complain about, but in a scenario where I was going from a form that had no toolbar or menu bar to a browse with a toolbar, previously there was an irritating jump as it added the menu bar - now there is literally no jump - totalllllllllllllllllly clean smooth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        972 524 8714
                        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
                          We have not been able to duplicate this, but we did do some profiling on our code and have been able to add some optimizations that might help.

If you are seeing any slowness, here is a beta of the next patch that we will be releasing. Please let us know if this has made any improvements.

BetaPatch is now available. Download page for beta patch can be found at:
                          http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a...chdownload.htm
                          There is a noticable improvement in speed as the menus load on screen changes. Although screen repaints when screen changes occur are not as fast as they were previous to the last 2 updates, it makes my database at least usable again.

With the beta patch I notice that when the cursor is placed over a menu title, it "blinks", meaning that the title disappears and then reappears highlighted.

In conclusion, although the beta is an improvement in speed, the speed is still slower than it was prior to the last two updates.

If I can find time, I will delete the data on my database and enter some test data so that I can send you my database to help you figure out this problem. As my database contains confidential patient data, I cannot send the database "as is".

Comment

The latest beta patch (1730_3093) posted today seems to correct the issues I was having with multiple slow paints as well as the problem with conditional objects introduced in the one posted yesterday. Thanks to the entire Alpha Software Team for the quick response. I hope the effort involved with creating an example and emailing it over a dog slow dial-up connection helped in getting this resolved. It took 4 tries and couple of hours last night to get the latest example to Selwyn.
                            Jim Coltz
                            Alpha Custom Database Solutions, LLC
                            A5CustomSolutions.com
                            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Coltz View Post
                              The latest beta patch (1730_3093) posted today seems to correct the issues I was having with multiple slow paints as well as the problem with conditional objects introduced in the one posted yesterday. Thanks to the entire Alpha Software Team for the quick response. I hope the effort involved with creating an example and emailing it over a dog slow dial-up connection helped in getting this resolved. It took 4 tries and couple of hours last night to get the latest example to Selwyn.
                              I'm happy that your issues were resolved with the latest beta patch. For myself, the beta patch provided a bearly noticeable speed improvement. I'm still seeing two menu repaints per screen change, as well as erractic highlighting behavior when the mouse pointer is placed over a menu title.

Yesterday, I sent Alpha 5 a copy of my database. I hope that they can solve this problem as I have spent over a year developing this database (it was my first attempt; a learning experience). If they cannot, my options are to revert to an earlier update, or scrap the project alltogether. As it was my first database, perhaps the error lies in my programming, although up to two updates ago, I did not have these problems. I cannot use the database at the slow repaint rate it is displaying. (Sorry if my frustration is showing through.)

Comment

Tooth,

I can definitely appreciate your frustration. After using Alpha for 9 years, I have developed this guideline: If I am having the problem, and it is Alpha based, others will have the problem, too. If no one else is having the problem, most likely it is my app.

Now while I occassionally find a bug first, and Alpha corrects it, 99% of the time, my guideline holds true.
                                972 524 8714
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X