Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multi-user environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-user environment

I have few dumb questions when it comes to multi-user environment:

1-When you query a table, where does alpha put the temp file? in cache? in the server's cache? the local machine's cache?

2-How would you know if there has been any updates to the query since your last request?

Thanks

Re: Multi-user environment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
    I have few dumb questions when it comes to multi-user environment:

1-When you query a table, where does alpha put the temp file? in cache? in the server's cache? the local machine's cache?

2-How would you know if there has been any updates to the query since your last request?

Thanks
    Great questions!
    (I love dumb questions, cause then no one can justly criticize me for giving dumb answers.)

I'd like answers as well as how does the performance hold up under 3-10 users accessing.

The way I now do it is that I can setup any location I want for individuals' queries and other User Unique files.
    Example server / program folder:
    Drv:\ProgFolder\data\

Years ago I set up:

then 001 thru 999 under the folder.
    I put the user's private/unique folder into the Environment variable for that PC machine.
    Ex:
    Variable: STN (meaning station)
    Value: Drv:\ProgFolder\data\001\
    Or:
    Add Env Var: MYSTN
    Value: 001\
    Now STN Value: Drv:\ProgFolder\data\%MYSTN%
    Then you'd only have to mess with MYSTN.
    If I want it to be always assigned to that machine, I put it in the System Environment Variables.
    Then on startup the program "gets" the Env. variable value, and uses it for all queries/Tmp Files.
    I can change anyone's location instantly without digging back into the software. A client could even do it.
    ------------------------
    As far as I know, a query is static, not dynamic. So, it has the DB's situation only at the time the Query is produced.
    Any later changes affecting the outcome of that query are NOT reflected unless the query is run again.
    You could put the DB total records into a text file in the user's folder at the time the query is run. Then if the current total records exceed that file's records#, the query is possibly outdated, otherwise it's current, UNLESS someone makes a record Modify that would effect the Query's choices.
    Anyway, queries are normally needed for that point in time, say end-o-month, some other instant in time.
    If the data needs constant relevance then a key-index would make more sense, and, assuming that the results are to be output, the query to that key is always run ahead of the output. The indexed query is nearly instant.
    Last edited by SMARTII; 07-24-2007, 03:00 PM.
    First Love

Comment

Queries are stored in the $$*.mpx files in the Alpha 5 temporary folder

If you run a query and there have been no changes to the table, it will not normally be re-run unless you force it with a query option. I'm not sure off hand how Alpha 5 ascertains this. It may be time & date stamps, or something else.
      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Yes, but where? At the server? local machine?

Comment

Thanks Smart II. Looks like smart runs in the family.
          Just how smart is your son, Smart III ? must be a genius.

Comment

Thanks Smart II. Looks like smart runs in the family.
            Just how smart is your son, Smart III ? must be a genius.
            That's an understatement. Unfortunately he keeps reminding me.
            First Love

Comment

I have run into sluggish servers, and then I put the private folder on the local PC.
              Variable: STN
              Value: C:\001\
              OR:
              C:\A5Tmp\
              If you did this with every user, the same folder Value could clone to all.
              First Love

Comment

Originally posted by csda1 View Post

If you run a query and there have been no changes to the table, it will not normally be re-run unless you force it with a query option. I'm not sure off hand how Alpha 5 ascertains this. It may be time & date stamps, or something else.
                I'm thinkin some other way, as just accessing the Data file usually always changes the Date/Time stamp even if no mods occurred.
                BTW:
                Are defined Querys composed as text files that could be read/modified by a text editor?
                Last edited by SMARTII; 07-24-2007, 03:20 PM.
                First Love

Comment

$$*.mpx
                  Found these files(which are suposed to be deleted by Alpha) on the shadow(runtime) machine in the same directory as my data. Of course, the alpha.exe is there too.

Dave
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

It can be anywhere, but the temporary folder must be absolutely unique to each user. It is set in the Alpha 5 settings Directory entry on each system, and normally on the local machine either in the windows temporary directory or in a subfolder of the EXE directory (V7 and earlier) or the Alpha 5 user application directory in Version 8 (which is deep down under Documents and Setting folder on the C drive)

Originally posted by SMARTII View Post
                    I'm thinkin some other way, as just accessing the Data file usually always changes the Date/Time stamp even if no mods occurred.

Are defined Querys composed as text files that could be read/modified by a text editor?
                    Accessing the file does not change the table, index or memo field date/time stamps. Doing a save does update the time/date stamp of the files.

Queries are binary files, and not text
                    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                    CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Originally posted by csda1 View Post
                      It can be anywhere, but the temporary folder must be absolutely unique to each user. It is set in the Alpha 5 settings Directory entry on each system, and normally on the local machine either in the windows temporary directory or in a subfolder of the EXE directory (V7 and earlier) or the Alpha 5 user application directory in Version 8 (which is deep down under Documents and Setting folder on the C drive)

Accessing the file does not change the table, index or memo field date/time stamps. Doing a save does update the time/date stamp of the files.

Queries are binary files, and not text
                      Just to be sure:
                      I'm speaking of the original Query definition, not the query resultant. What extension does a defined query name have?

The reason I'm asking this is that I often have the software create a query on the fly to a common named query..like tmpqry that is erased when the next one is written on the fly within the software.
                      The query looks like an action Script text. (I'm doing this in my old software that is getting migrated to A5.)
                      I am supposing I can still create Query definitions within the software on the fly in A5v8, you just can't view the definition to see if it came out as you expected?
                      Last edited by SMARTII; 07-24-2007, 03:40 PM.
                      First Love

Comment

If you define and save a query, it is stored in the table's dictionary. it is not stored as a separate entity. You can view the dictionary file with an external editor (Doesnt show very much), but modifying it will corrupt it.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                        X