Alpha Video Training

Thread: Database books

Real Name
    Edward Mattison

Default Database books

I am now wishing I understood database theory and practice a little more apart from the specifics of Alpha 5. (V8 really does seem good.) I remember several posts that reccomended a particular booki. As I recall the first half was on this subject and the second was about Access. But maybe there is a new book I should read. Suggestions? Thanks Ed

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

Default Re: Database books

Edward,

New book
    ? No. However, there is a book (could be many more) that you absolutely must read if you want to get a solid understanding of database concept, theory and design - Database Design for Mere Mortals(R): A Hands-On Guide to Relational Database Design (2nd Edition), by Michael J Hernandez. Cost is $49.99USD and is well worth the investment. Notice that I said 'investment' rather than 'cost' because you will get much more than the $49.99 in knowledge from the book.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Real Name
    David Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by davej View Post
    Edward,

New book
    ? No. However, there is a book (could be many more) that you absolutely must read if you want to get a solid understanding of database concept, theory and design - Database Design for Mere Mortals(R): A Hands-On Guide to Relational Database Design (2nd Edition), by Michael J Hernandez. Cost is $49.99USD and is well worth the investment. Notice that I said 'investment' rather than 'cost' because you will get much more than the $49.99 in knowledge from the book.

Dave
    As usual in the UK, booksellers like many retailers (including Microsoft - particularly Vista) just change the $ sign to £, despite now getting 2 dollars to the pound.

Done a bit of searching, and managed to find a reasonable deal. From your recommendation, Dave, I have ordered it from PCWorld for just over £30 inc postage (1 to 2 days delivery).

Still being very much a novice, I look forward to getting it.

Real Name
    gerald distill

Database Design for Mere Mortals,,

new to database and alpha5 and have just been reading through these threads (last few hours and very impressed by q&a and the generious help offered by everyone) and i downloaded the above in pdf format from a link in these forums but not sure from which topic and i suppose there is a search facility somewhere..........

Real Name
    George R. Kenney

Yes Database for Mere mortals is an essential book. To get started in Alpha try Susan Bushes Alpha 5 made easy pdf. Aslo have a look at http://www.tomjewett.com/dbdesign/dbdesign.php this is less winded than Mere mortals free and anyway helped me a lot .

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by netgeorger View Post
    Yes Database for Mere mortals is an essential book. To get started in Alpha try Susan Bushes Alpha 5 made easy pdf. Aslo have a look at http://www.tomjewett.com/dbdesign/dbdesign.php this is less winded than Mere mortals free and anyway helped me a lot .
    I just picked up a copy of ..Mere Mortals for $10 at Amazon.com. But of course free is always good!
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford