Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

401 Unauthorized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

401 Unauthorized

I set up an application following the 2 part sample on the Alpha site step by step. When I publish it to Webroot it works fine, when I publish it to our host, I get a 401 Unauthorized (The security settings for this server are missing or incomplete). I erased the application and started over ( I have done this a dozen times now, all with the same result).

A friend sent me this from this board:

=========================================================
    If the security framework is checked on the Application Server and you have not published anything to the server, there are no security configuration files on the server.

If the files are missing, you will be prevented from opening any pages and will get the message.

Until you publish something, you can just open the Application server control panel and uncheck the Security Framework option and restart the server.

When publish anything to the server from the Alpha Five program, the required default security files are automatically created and published for the project.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...&highlight=401 (Look for Jerry Brightbill's post a little way down on the thread)

=========================================================

I went back and turned off all the security in the "Web Security" area and republished the application making sure to exclude every file I could find for security. Then I republished the application with all the security turned on telling it to open the "index" page when it was through. I still get the 401 error.

I also tried publishing the security files by themselves under "Web Security", the result was the same when I republished the entire application and asked it to launch "index".

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Parks; 08-05-2007, 03:09 PM. Reason: more info

Re: 401 Unauthorized

Have you installed the app server on the machine you want to access AND have you entered the license number AND have you activated the application server. Until I did all of that, I had the same problem. But now it works fine !
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

I got a bit confused by the number of times you said off or on, so I don't know what the condition is when you published.

You don't need to try to exclude or include the security files, they will take care of themselves depending on how you set up security.

If you have that error, it means security IS turned on at the server level and, just like the msg says, files are missing.

Publish again: if you DO want security active, then configure WebSecurity > Web Security Configuration and when you publish, check the Publish Web Security Data Tables box. When you publish you will get a bunch of security files that don't need to be named here.

If you have security checked off, then it doesn't matter if you check the Publish Web Security Data Tables box or not, the results are the same, these two files will be published (and are needed even if security is off):

Guid.SecuritySettings
      Project.SecuritySettings
      Last edited by Steve Wood; 08-05-2007, 07:58 PM.
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

The problem has been solved. It turns out that Mike's firewall was preventing him from publishing all of the files to the web server.
        Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
        Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Comment

Update

Still working on the problem �

Spent 3 hours on the phone today with the senior tech people at Symantic (Norton Internet Security)
          Final result was that we turned off ALL security as a test and the problem remained � could not upload.

Thus we have ruled out the Firewall as a problem

Have spent 2 hours (so far) today with my ISP BellSouth/AT&T
          They have run test after test and final result is that they are having their senior tech people call me back this afternoon.

Have tried between calls to contact Mediacom (our local cable company) nothing to report except that I was on hold forever.

In talking to associates who use Mediacom they tell me that it is only working about 90% of the time

Mike

Comment

In case anyone is wondering what is going on here, I was able to publish Mike's files via my Internet connection. He is able to only publish part of his application via his Internet connection.

The files that do make it to the server are landing up in the correct place unfortunately Mike is unable to publish all of the files neccesary for the application to work correctly.

Clive
            Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
            Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Comment

Latest update -

Problem is still there ---

We have eliminated:
              Firewall - Norton (Symantic Internet Security)
              Modem - Zoom DSL Wireless
              ISP - BellSouth/AT&T

That leaves a conflict between some program on my computer and A5V8

Workaround -

I purchased an FTP program from Ipswitch which is working beautifully. There are none of the problems I encountered before and the same data is being transmitted (through the Firewall, the modem and over the BellSouth/AT&T network)

When I have more time to work on it, I will provide details. Thanks to everyone who has been so helpful. Alpha users are a great bunch of people.

Mike

Comment

Mike, I am having exactly the 401 problem that you faced. I have gone through all the procedures suggested in the threads, to no avail. I have purchased Cute FTP Professional and tried that approach with no success. How did you finally resolve your issue?

Comment

It took me forever to find the answer. Select "Web Projects", then at the top left hand side of the screen select "Web". Then select "Application Server" and look for a checkbox that says "Enable Security Framework", check it as well as the checkbox above it "Automatically Start The Server". Save and close the window. Republish your application and it should work fine. The key is checking the box "Enable Security Framework".

I am still unable to use the built in publisher that comes with Alpha and am using the Ipswitch program. The drawback is you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to make the web app work correctly.

Mike
                  Last edited by Mike Parks; 10-17-2007, 08:20 PM. Reason: Add more info.

Comment

I gave it a try, Mike. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the 401 error, same as before. I'm not familiar with the Ipswitch program and a big part of the problem for me is that I am not really conversant in database and webspeak. I bought the Alpha Five program because it promised to be the single source that would allow the uninitiated like myself to build an app and bring it to the web. I'm just not tech savvy enough to be a beginner.

Thanks for the effort.

Comment

The problem you are having involved the security settings in the WAS. Have you checked the Web Security Settings, the Users and Groups and the Page Security settings. If you set the setting in my last e-mail and got the 401n error, there is something amiss in one of the areas above. This does not have anything to do with the FTP protocol. Go back and check ALL the WAS settings.

Mike

Comment

Here are the steps I have taken (repeatedly):

*Cleared Zebra (host) site of all content (I do this with every change I make)
                        *Checked "enable security framework" and "automatically start the server"
                        *Restarted the application server
                        *Alternatively, with every change, I have disabled or enabled security under the "Web Security" menu
                        *When security is enabled, I have alternatively moved my page security between "allow all" and "login required" (setting permissions when I do so)
                        *When security is enabled, I have elected or deselected each available option under "Security Settings". I have set and reset users/groups/permissions.
                        *Published security settings from the "Web Security" menu and/or the "Publish" menu.
                        *Used both internal and external (Cute FTP v.8 Professional) FTP options
                        *Published both with and without database files
                        *When publishing under the "Publish Web Project" menu, I have checked and unchecked each available option in its turn

I have tried all of the above according to "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" principles; one small change followed by the complete publishing process each time.

I have tried all of the above with my original application. Then I have created increasingly simple applications and tested each one. This last publishing effort involved a database with one table and only 6 fields, 4 grid components (one which was a login) and 2 web pages.

When you consider every element of every menu that is subject to change when testing across 5 different applications ranging from a 1 table database to a 230 table database and then applying a complete publishing process to each of those changes, it gives you an idea of the time I have invested so far.

There was a point within the last week or two when I actually was getting a published result, but, then I was getting the error about files not found. Thanks for your suggestions and for listening, Mike.

The only bright spot so far is that I bought Alpha Five with 3 Application Server licenses and Runtime while it was on super sale. So, I could have been a couple of thousand dollars more disappointed than I am.

Comment

Can we back up? I mean you are working to hard. Although there are a few things you have to get straight, its just a few. All that testing just makes it harder to get back to square one. Alpha works perfectly in this area, although I agree the documentation may be insufficient to guide you there.

The Zen thing is the wrong approach, that guy had an unlimited amount of time to get it right and never stopped due to frustration.

If you are using security properly you would never get a 401. Accessing a restricted page would redirect you to your 'redirect - insufficient permissions' page.

Am I right that you have 5 applications, one with 230 tables, and you just recently bought Alpha Five. Are these applications all built in Alpha, so quickly?

I'm not exactly sure where to direct you but it seems you are throwing things at the server rather than going through a process of understanding what you are doing.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Well, it's encouraging to know that I'm working too hard. That tells me that it supposed to be easier than this.

And, although I have only had Alpha for about 5 or 6 weeks, some of those weeks were 60 70 hours long (on top of my regular job). Building the databases is easy work on Alpha and, first I built two simple ones and they worked fine every time I tested them with a page execute or live preview. So, I sat down on a long weekend for a marathon of building the large database. (We won't discuss how my wife felt about that). Again, in testing, it worked great. That's what convinced me that I was ready to publish.

So, I have my choice of applications with varying complexities, all of which work when tested locally. I have Zebra as my host (Clive is a patient man, but, he's got to be sick of hearing from me by now). I have a 3 license Alpha Five v8 and 3 licenses for my Application Server. Clive has confirmed that all is well at the Zebra end of this equation. I have enabled the security framework, checked auto start server, entered my license and all the steps outlined previously.

I agree with you. I have thrown so much in to the mix that it is now just mud.

I think my next effort will be to take the sample application that ships with Alpha and publish it, whole cloth, to my site.

Comment

Publishing the sample is just another segment in that Zen thing; a waste of time.

You have three application server licenses? Hmm, one licence allows an unlimited number of users to connect; why three? Suggests again you may have not configured the server properly.

Question - Do you have desktop access to the Zebra server (not just FTP, but full access, able to see the Start button, etc.) Answer that, and we'll continue.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X