Alpha Video Training

Thread: Photos is my big hangup

Real Name
    Joe Ermert

Default Photos is my big hangup

I am considering purchasing A5 for use on our LAN with 5clients, questions as follows:
    We are a fire investigation company and have 70 -150 photos each 2.5 to 3 MB with each case which need to be annotated and captioned, is A5 capable of this or must this be done in other software.
    Need to manage cases from receipt of assignment through completion and through litigation if necessary.
    Will it be better to design DB with seperate files for photos and if so can they be simply linked for future searching? I am a newbie.
    Last edited by jermert; 08-21-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Accidental post before complete.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: Photos is my big hangup

Quote Originally Posted by jermert View Post
    I am considering purchasing A5 for use on our LAN with 5clients, questions as follows:
    We are a fire investigation company and have 70 -150 photos each 2.5 to 3 MB with each case which need to be annotated and captioned, is A5 capable of this or must this be done in other software.
    Need to manage cases from receipt of assignment through completion and through litigation if necessary.
    Will it be better to design DB with seperate files for photos and if so can they be simply linked for future searching? I am a newbie.
    Alpha utilizes an image reference field type that would easily link to your photos via some numbering/naming scheme. The annotation and captioning could be done on a form (screen display of one record at a time) without ever altering the original photo. Actually Alpha has no tools suitable to altering the photos themselves.

You would store the photos in a sub-directory of the database directory for best and most portable results.

If the trial download is still available, do so and take a look at the AlphaSports sample database.

Real Name
    Bob Houle

Default Re: Photos is my big hangup

Joe,

I would really look into a file converter to reduce the size of your files.

For example:

A jpg photo was 1935KB and reduced to 123KB with no apparent reduction in quality.

You can find these programs on the 'net.

--Bob

The program I use allows you to annotate and place captions directly on the jpg
    It's a free program by: Balthasar Indermuehle (do a google search and you'll find the program)
    Last edited by Bob Houle; 08-22-2007 at 11:44 AM.