Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Dos File Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dos File Names

I am running A4v8 on an XP platform. All of our data is stored on a remote networked drive (NAS).

When I use Alpha to connect to the NAS I get very strange DOS names for file folders that break the 8.3 length syntax. For example: A folder called "OurDocuments" used to be called "OurDoc~1" in Alpha4. Now it is called "Onezjx~1".

If I look up the file folder in DOS through a DOS window it reports as expected, however, in Alpha it's completely different.

Any idea?

Rich

Re: Dos File Names

What does the command window DOS command show when you use the /x option?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

This is normal. Alpha and DOS apps see anything longer than 8 characters as the first 6 plus ~1

If there are other files of similar then you will see them as ~2, ~3 etc.
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dpawley View Post
        This is normal. Alpha and DOS apps see anything longer than 8 characters as the first 6 plus ~1

If there are other files of similar then you will see them as ~2, ~3 etc.
        I would agree with you but it is NOT in the 6 plus ~1 format. It's completely scrambled and without rhyme or reason.

For example.

A folder called: Arizona Graphics
        Is now called: AEZVAJ~1

There are no similar folder names and AEZ... is not even close to the original name. The folder reports in a DOS window as ARIZON~1. Only in A4 does it scramble. I haven't tried the /x option in dos but will look it up.

Comment

Interesting....

I had not done any detail research as what I described above is what I have experienced and observed. And everything I can find upon an internet search supports what I have stated above.

Most of my support is on an old Windows98 system and this all seems to hold true. But when I investigated deeper, as I work with some Alpha on a reporting system that is on XP, I also see a few files exhibit the behavior you describe, second line code area below of the DIR command.

An internet search has not revealed anything other than what I have stated above, although it would appear XP's convert use a modified algorythem.

If in a command prompt window you use the /x switch with the DIR command you can see the short and long file names for the files.

Code:
          Q:\apps\alpha4v3\partsys>dir /x partsys*.app
           Volume in drive Q is Data
           Volume Serial Number is 5403-45FB
           Directory of Q:\apps\alpha4v3\partsys
          09/30/2004  08:07 PM               411 PARTSY~1.APP partsys FAKE Copy.APP
          08/17/2007  12:04 PM               435 PA0C6B~1.APP PARTSYS FAKE.APP
          02/08/2007  01:18 AM            21,977 PARTSY~2.APP PARTSYS REAL.APP
          02/08/2007  01:18 AM            21,977              PARTSYS.APP
          08/22/2006  04:23 PM            21,961              Partsys0.app
          08/14/2006  08:58 AM            21,842              Partsys1.app
          03/09/2005  05:19 PM            20,376              Partsys2.app
          11/02/2005  11:44 AM            21,174              PARTSYS3.APP
          12/14/2005  10:02 AM            21,170              Partsys4.app
          01/26/2006  09:47 AM            21,314              PARTSYS5.APP
          01/23/2006  02:09 PM            21,376              Partsys6.app
          01/19/2006  09:14 PM            21,334              Partsys7.app
          01/13/2006  07:08 AM            21,247              Partsys8.app
          09/06/2006  10:25 AM            21,976              PARTSYS9.APP
                        14 File(s)        258,570 bytes
                         0 Dir(s)  37,073,547,264 bytes free
          Dave

Comment

My dos /x results.

Code:
            07/20/2007  02:08 PM    <DIR>          CBKHMA~J     cypress-softwa
            07/20/2007  02:08 PM    <DIR>                       	  abitibi
            07/20/2007  02:08 PM    <DIR>                      	  abrazo
            07/31/2007  03:29 PM    <DIR>                       	  abstrax
            07/20/2007  02:08 PM    <DIR>          AU5VA6~P     active-forever
            07/20/2007  02:08 PM    <DIR>                       	  ad-2-phx
            07/20/2007  02:09 PM    <DIR>                       	  adma
            07/20/2007  02:10 PM    <DIR>          AOI37S~K      adv-cardiac
            07/31/2007  11:21 AM    <DIR>                       	   affluent
            07/20/2007  02:11 PM    <DIR>                       	   against
            07/20/2007  02:11 PM    <DIR>          AOB7KO~L      alea-services
            However, there is one difference between this system and others. The NAS device where this structure resides in on a Linux SAMBA share and not a typical Windows box. It seems that Linux reports back the peculiar names. If I move the folder/files to a Windows box and check the Dos names... they report back just fine with the ~1 structure intact. Seems Alpha is not to blame but rather our NAS and the SAMBA share. I'll move my research to the Linux boards and see what setting I can find.

Thank you for the help. I was not familiar with the /x in Dos commands so that helped me 'nail-it'.

Rich

Comment

Rich, I finally found an explanation: The excerpt below comes from a Microsoft Germany site article, it is very long but if you search for "Generating Short File Names" you sould be able to jump to it.

Here is the link: http://www.microsoft.com/germany/tec...c13621675.mspx

Generating Short File Names

In Windows XP Professional, both FAT and NTFS use the Unicode character set, which contains several prohibited characters that MS-DOS cannot read, for their names. To generate a short MS-DOS-readable file name, Windows XP Professional deletes all these characters from the long file name and removes any spaces. Because an MS-DOS-readable file name can have only one period, Windows XP Professional also removes extra periods from the file name. If necessary, Windows XP Professional truncates the file name to six characters and appends a tilde (~) and a number. For example, each nonduplicate file name is appended with ~1. Duplicate file names end with ~2, then ~3, and so on. After the file names are truncated, the file name extensions are truncated to three or fewer characters. Finally, when displaying file names at the command line, Windows XP Professional translates all characters in the file name and extension to uppercase.
              Note You can permit extended characters by using the fsutil behavior set command. You must restart the computer before this setting takes effect. For more information about using the fsutil behavior set command, see Windows XP Professional Help.
              When five or more files exist that can result in duplicate short file names, Windows XP Professional uses a slightly different method for creating short file names. For the fifth and subsequent files, Windows XP Professional:
              �Uses only the first two letters of the long file name
              �Generates the next four letters of the short file name by mathematically manipulating the remaining letters of the long file name
              �Appends ~1 (or another number, if necessary, to avoid a duplicate file name) to the result

This method substantially improves performance when Windows XP Professional must create short file names for a large number of files with similar long file names. Windows XP Professional uses this method to create short names for files on both FAT and NTFS volumes.
              Dave

Comment

Just now have I observed the problem of unsupported "Dos file Name".

Precisely when I create new directories in Windows Explorer, these last directories are completely hidden when I navigate within alpha4v8.
                So with the command "dir /x" I discovered that Windows XP don't create more short directory name in my NTFS volume.

I have resolved with the change of this registry key:
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

The parameter "NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation" must be modified with the value "0" (I have the value "1").

To take effect, reboot.

Important: the short directory name is created only for the "ex novo" newly created directories, the others created when the dot3NameCreation parameter was disabled, remain unobtainable.

Comment

Originally posted by LucZan View Post
                  the others created when the dot3NameCreation parameter was disabled, remain unobtainable.
                  Does a rename of the directory generate a new short name?

Or does a new directory and a move of the files/subdirectories within it accomplish that?

Thanks for sharing. I guess there are sources other than the Alpha messageboard for information.. ;)
                  Al Buchholz
                  Bookwood Systems, LTD
                  Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                  Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                  Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                  When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                  "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                  Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Verified.
                    I have moved or renamed this "hidden" directories without success but it has worked only the recreation of new directories.
                    I have adopted this simple procedure:
                    - I rename the "hidden" directory;
                    - I create, at the same tree level, a new directory with the same original name of the "hidden" ;
                    - I select individually all the files of the renamed directory and I copy (or move) all in the newly created;
                    - I delete the renamed directory (to avoid duplication).

Comment

Working...
                    X