Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Data entry in gridlinker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data entry in gridlinker

My main desktop application heavily relies on data entry in sets. I.e. purchase orders, invoices etc.

I have managed to recreate these with gridlinker components, however the header component is never in-sync with the child component in data entry mode because it seems that you have to submit the header to the server which then means you can't add records to the child because a new header is presented for data entry.

Am I missing something fundemental? can someone please explain where I am going wrong.

Re: Data entry in gridlinker

I have the same problem too.

Sincerely,

Nehru L. Albania
    Philippines
    "Knowledge without application is useless."

Comment

Yes Nehru,

This question has been asked several times before, and seems to be beyond the maestro's at Alpha as on doing a search it is never answered. I have read the webdemo help, watched the video's, been to various sites and am stumped. I am now at a point where I am considering that the WAS does not suit my needs and is not as simple as the adverts for it make out.

Comment

There are several ways around this problem, but the simplist is to make two pages. The first page is the header where you enter header data, then when you click submit, you go to a second screen where the header shows as labels (non updateable) and the line items are shown below for entry.
        Pat Bremkamp
        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat,

Firstly, thank-you for verifying that this is a problem, looking at previous posts on this subject I was begining to thing nobody wanted head up Alpha Anon and start admitting they had a problem.

Thanks for your suggestion, but that seems just a compromise. The major point of a set in a database is to seemlessly link related tables for entering, then altering data. There is nothing seemless about this way of doing things. You mention several ways around the problem, can you list out a few others.

Comment

While I'm certainly no expert on the subject, I think the problem exists because on the web, each table in the set, i.e. Parent (header) and Child, are handled as separate components, that each have their own submit button, and until that submit button has been pushed, the table/set does not know that a new record has been started. Of course once you push it, you're on the the NEXT blank record, without ever getting a chance to enter the child record info. It is certainly confusing, especially if you're used to working with a desktop application.

Some time back, Steve Wood showed me a way to get around this issue, and I've been using it ever since. It is similar to what Pat just told you, except that in my case, I don't have the user return to a header page that only has labels, it has blank fields which allow the user to update the header AND the child records while they are both in front of them on the screen. (Keep in mind that they will still both have independent submit buttons.)

I have Police Report Application, which has header info (parent table) and several child tables. The query display order is set to descending, so that when you open the application, you always see the most recently entered record and its associated child records, along with a link in bold letters entitled "NEW REPORT."

The user clicks on the New Report button, and it takes them to a seperate A5W page which only has two of the fields from the parent table on it, DATE & CASE NUMBER. Since these two items are required on every report, I thought I'd limit this "new report" page to just that.

When the user enters those two items, he clicks on the SUBMIT button, and it takes them back to the original set page, which now shows the record containing the those two items (because it's showing the most recently entered record), a bunch of other blank fields for the header section, and the matching child record fields, ready to be filled in. In other words, they're returing to the page they want to work on, not a new, empty blank header page.

At this point the user can see both the header info and blank child record fields all at one time, so they're not out of sync with each other. It works quite well, although it would certainly be nicer if I didn't have to take them to a separate page temporarily, but as I said it does work.

The ultimate answer would be to have the ability to create a web-based set with a single submit button. That way the user could view the parent and child fields all at once, and click ONE button to submit the data to each appropriate table, but at the moment I don't think there is any way possible to do that.

Who knows, maybe the future will hold a way to create "more advanced" web sets, but for now, I think this is the best we can do,.
            Sergeant Richard Hartnett
            Hyattsville City Police Department
            Maryland

Comment

Thanks Rich (and Steve) this seems a good way of getting round the problem. Will work on it.

Comment

it helps! :D

more power to alphasoftware

sincerely,

nehru l. albania
                philippines
                "Knowledge without application is useless."

Comment

I appreciate that this post is few years old, but I am having the same problems (V9 WAS). I have the parent and child tables linked via gridlinker. I have records from both tables on screen simultaneously. The child records relate to whichever parent record I click on. All fine so far. The parent records can be updated. However, as per this post, if I add a new child record and submit it, it simply vanishes, plus, it doesn't get added to the child dbf. I already have two submit buttons.

I note that on my A5W page I have the following error message:
                  ?x_GridLinker.Tele_ActionLog.Output.Body.UpdateErrors

I have another message I don't understand:
                  ?x_GridLinker.Tele_ActionLog.Output.Body.Grid_Echo

I am confident now that it's nearly 4 years later that this problem no longer exists and it's just down to my poor abilities. I would very grateful on any advise as to how to complete the child records, or what I am doing wrong.

Comment

Hi Larry,

Upgrade to V10.5. You wont have this as a problem.
                    Regards
                    Keith Hubert
                    Alpha Guild Member
                    London.
                    KHDB Management Systems
                    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Working...
                    X