Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

"Resynch on index" - v8 experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Resynch on index" - v8 experiences?

I'm running into a strange situation where 1 of 7 companies using one of my generic applications is getting a "cannot resynch on index" error up to 20% of the time. The fact that others are not having problems indicates to me that the basic script is OK (besides, how many ways are there to modify a Lookupc() function?) but something is either going on with their network or there is some strange issue that starts with more network users or larger data files.

My main question is whether anyone has any 'comparative' experience with a "cannot resynch on index" error between version 7 and version 8. Is version 8 any less susceptible to this issue? The program is currently in version 7 and one of these days I'd like to upgrade it to v8 but, due to the complexity of the app (517 scripts/functions with 89,000 lines of code - a lot of verifying to be done), I'm in no rush unless I find a definite need.

If you have other suggestions, I'm listening. Just remember that the current script works fine for 6 out of 7 companies so the basics have been proven correct.

FACTS:
    - This happens in the OnSave Record event when saving work orders. A lookupc() is being used to make sure the agent name matches the agent number because imported data and modified agent records can cause mis-matches. (No data is changed. Only a message is displayed if there is an issue.)
    - Once it happens, the only way they can stop it is to close the app and restart it.
    - When it happens, it happens only on one computer. Everyone else continues to run correctly. (This seems very strange to me but I have verified that there are no local indexes that could be causing the issue.)
    - None of the other companies have experienced the problem. (I've specifically asked 3 of them.)
    - None of the other companies have quite as much data in their overall application but the lookup is just on the Agents table which has about 11,000 records with a file size of 5.5 Meg. - not small but not huge either. (The next largest user has about 5,000 records - roughly half the size.)
    - This company has more users - almost always 2 and up to 4. Most other companies have 1 to 2 users and occasionally 3.
    - The error occurs in the following lookup:
    anamef = lookupc( "F", anumb, "Agent_namf", A5.Get_Path() + "\agents.dbf", "Agent_Nof" )
    - The "Agent_Nof" index was created by the system for autoincrementing the Agent_nof field but this is just a lookup and adding new agents is relatively rare. Some days no new agents would be added but they still get the "cannot resynch on index" error.

I'm planning to change to a different index - one that I will create - rather than using the one created by A5 automatically. It will be the same as the "Agent_nof" index but it won't be defined as "Unique Only". It will be interesting to see what affect this has. I should know the results by the middle of next week.

By the way, for those of you thinking "Normalization", the agent name is included in the main table in order to speed up data entry. They can quickly type the agent name but have no idea what the agent number is; however, I need the agent number for other reasons. Putting both fields in this table was done out of need - not because I simply forgot to use good table design. In the case of this particular application it has even proven useful for checking data accuracy because sometimes the name has been wrong and sometimes the number has been wrong. I wouldn't have been able to find these issues if only one of the fields was stored in the main table. (This is a really fun application.)
    Last edited by CALocklin; 09-22-2007, 12:22 PM.

Re: "Resynch on index" - v8 experiences?

Cal:
    Few issues to consider:
    1-Any reason why not let alpha fill the agent's number in the lookup from field rules? I am not a big fan of field rules, but in your scnario it might work better.
    2-Does this happen on adding a new agent? or regardless whether it's a new or an existing one?
    3-What is the RAM on this computer?

If alpha created the "Agent_Nof" for the autoinc and you are using the same index for lookup, it seems when you add a new agent, alpha will add a new autoincremented number and need to update the index. It will do that upon saving the new record. But sumiltaneously, you are attempting to lookup that very same index, that is being updated! If I were to guess, I would say that is where the problem is coming from. Quite possibly this might happen in two threads, but if alpha is looking up an index that has not been updated yet, you would get the error message. You might either:

1-Disable the script for the lookup when adding a new agent as it serves no purpose there, or
    2-To make the lookup take place before updating the index, you might want to put that scipt in CanSave or OnChange instead of in OnSave.
    Last edited by G Gabriel; 09-22-2007, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
      1-Any reason why not let alpha fill the agent's number in the lookup from field rules?
      The lookup is what happens earlier if the user enters a "normal" order. Imported orders and agent records that were modified after the order was originally entered are what this check is really for. This is just an OnSave event that checks to make sure they match and then warns the user if they don't. Of course, since it's in the OnSave event, the check runs whether a different agent has been selected or even if the agent wasn't changed but something else in the order was changed.

From original post: "A lookupc() is being used to make sure the agent name matches the agent number because imported data and modified agent records can cause mis-matches. (No data is changed. Only a message is displayed if there is an issue.)"

2-Does this happen on adding a new agent? or regardless whether it's a new or an existing one?
      See item 1. And, no, it doesn't seem to matter whether they have just created a new agent record that's needed because the current order is for an agent who has never placed an order before, selected a different (but not "new") agent, or not even changed the agent. Adding totally "new" agents is actually relatively rare when considered as a percentage of total orders.

3-What is the RAM on this computer?
      I haven't checked but they are relatively new computers and the server was updated after this issue started (for other reasons) and the issue continues with the new server. I don't think this should be an issue but it's worth verifying.

The rest doesn't apply since (a) the lookup field rule would occur long before the OnSave event fires and (b) the lookup field rule might not even be used/needed because the current changes to the record might not affect the agent selection at all. The test is actually for cases where the user is changing other parts of the order but NOT the agent info. If the agent name is changed, the lookup handles it correctly and without generating index errors. Of course, the check runs no matter what since it's in the OnSave event.
      Last edited by CALocklin; 09-23-2007, 02:55 AM.

Comment

The rest doesn't apply since (a) the lookup field rule would occur long before the OnSave event fires
        Not exactly. We are talking about 2 lookup's here

I am refering to the lookup in the script not that of the field rules
        When you save a record two things happen:
        1-alpha will update the indeces, and
        2-the OnSave event will run.
        not necessarily in this order.

The event in your OnSave has an expression that employs lookup() which utilizes an index.

As I mentioned earlier, it looks like the Onsave event is firing before alpha is done updating the indeces and hence the error.

Comment

Cal,

It's not clear as to the cause of your problem, but I'll make a couple of suggestions that might work.

1. open a pointer to the table (probably in the form init event) being used in the lookup prior to the lookupc(). This will make the lookup run faster too. Make sure you cleanup and close the table on form exit

2. Place the lookupc() within a function, and execute that instead.

3. Change the Network card and/or network cable
          Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
          Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
          New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
          CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
          CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

When you save a record two things happen:
            1-alpha will update the indeces, and
            2-the OnSave event will run.
            not necessarily in this order.
            As stated originally, "This happens in the OnSave Record event when saving work orders. A lookupc() is being used to make sure the agent name matches the agent number because imported data and modified agent records can cause mis-matches."

To make it clearer, the index error occurs when attempting to do a Lookupc() to find something in the Agents table but the record being saved is in the Ord_head table. Saving the Ord_head record does not update the index in Agents and a Lookupc() will not update the index so I don't see the point.

Comment

but the record being saved is in the Ord_head table.
              Is this part of a set that also includes the Agents table?

Comment

Originally posted by csda1 View Post
                1. open a pointer to the table (probably in the form init event) being used in the lookup prior to the lookupc(). This will make the lookup run faster too. Make sure you cleanup and close the table on form exit
                This form is often open for hours at a time without ever being closed on up to 4 different workstations all at the same time. It's their main data entry form and almost everything they do on a regular basis starts from this form. Special reports and invoicing is done from other forms but they probably spend 90% of their time in this form. Do you think it would be acceptable to leave that many pointers to one table open for such a long time and with so many other things happening during the time it's open?

If not, the only other thing I can think of would be to try opening the pointer immediately before running the lookup then closing it before the script ends. (The lookup is almost the first thing in the OnSave event.)

2. Place the lookupc() within a function, and execute that instead.
                I guess I'm already doing this. The OnSave event actually calls my Ord_Head_OnSave() function and the lookupc() is inside that function. Putting the lookupc() inside another function would seem to be a bit of overkill. (Based on your recommendation I am using far more functions now rather than just using scripts. I can't prove it helps but it hasn't hurt anything either.)

3. Change the Network card and/or network cable
                I forgot to mention that they did put new network cards into the 'old' computers. The other two - the server and one workstation were completely replaced. This all happened early last week but the problems continued. I don't believe they've changed any cables but that could be a large undertaking - I'll find out.

I'm going to be sending out an update tomorrow that will use the other index. Assuming I can get them to install it right away, we should know the results by Tuesday. (Unfortunately that is sometimes a big assumption.)

Comment

Is this part of a set that also includes the Agents table?
                  You had me going for a minute but, no, it's not. The order form is based on a set but the Agent table is not part of that set.

Comment

Ok Cal..one more idea:
                    I have always had problems with lookupc("F"..) or "L".
                    Since you are lookinking unique values, why not use "C" instead?

One other possibility:
                    You lookup Agents in the field rules. alpha created a temp table based on unique values. Now OnSave, you are looking up the same table, but on a different index. Possibly, the last "query" did not detach. How about detaching all queries, set the index you use for lookup as the base index before running the script?

Comment

Working...
                    X