Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Parent -> Child -> Parent Data Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parent -> Child -> Parent Data Transfer

Hello again... I now 'unconditionally' surrender to my lack of knowledge.
    Attached is a zip that has a parent table (transaction or tx) and a child table
    (line item).
    I am trying to summarize line item info into the tx record to reduce
    the time required to summarize data for monthly, quarterly and annual reports.

I am NOT using the A5 report generator, because I want to use a more 'visual'
    report that is already in use in the 'old' version. This report is set up to
    locally and visually combine data into required reporting groups.... NO I do
    not wish to change the report....

That said -- the simple stuff works fine. Tx record data is first put
    into variables and stored until the record is saved. The line item data is also
    put into variables for line item summary - this summary is the data inserted into
    the tx record....

If you enter a new record... you will see that ALL of the data that goes into the
    line items and their summary is OK. Works just fine.

PROBLEM: I need to summarize the line item data by 'Group'. In this example, there
    are only three but in real life there are just under 10.

Point 1: I have been unable to make the line item data visible to 'global variables'.
    If I can get the line item data into these variables, it should then be quite easy
    to get the data into the tx variables and then into the tx record.

Fair warning... It might take even the best of you more time than you wish to allot
    to ferret out the solution.

Any and all help appreciated
    D

Re: Parent -> Child -> Parent Data Transfer

Richard,
    You made it somewhat difficult to help.

zip that has a parent table (transaction or tx) and a child table
    (line item).
    First, I do not see any table named transaction or Tx. Could you possibly mean d_trtbl? I do not see a table named Line item. Could that possibly be e_lines.

Thirdly, without any knowledge of your database, and looking at this highly field-intense and completely non-intuitive entry from, how could one possibly,
    "see that ALL of the data that goes into the line items and their summary is OK"
    when what "OK" should be could only magically be know by the uninitiated, in my estimation, and certainly for me.

Fourthly, I see no field in any of your tables named 'Group', so what 'group', or your concept of 'Group" might be is purely a matter of speculation.

Next, if e_line are many childs of d_trtbl, why don't you have an embedded browse on the form for the child table, then
    I have been unable to make the line item data visible
    would be visible.

Attached is your example with one extra form = f_aproblem, with one button that runs one function = line_items(). The button runs a function that generates variables for each of the fields in one of the child table records and reports it in a message box.

I am sure there is far more that you need, but I'm at a loss with what you provided of understanding just what your doing.
    Mike W

Comment

My apology for the misunderstanding. The 'titles' used in the first post were not table names, but table types.

Thanx for the reply. Have gone to look at your response.

D

Comment

Quick summary:
        Line item data MUST be summarized by the type of sales tax. I have called these types 'groups' which seems to clash with the A5 use of the word "group". I am not able to get line item data into global variables; from which I could then transfer them into the parent record fields.

Long summary:
        I guess I've been too close to the problem for too long.....

First: looking at the set form 'fs_txall' - It has, basically, 4 parts... At the far top right is just the "transaction" summary. Data is input and calculated to fill these fields and variables. Why are there two columns of data? I felt that this was explained by the text box below the two columns. Calculated fields are required here because data will not show up in the fields until the record is saved. The user must be able to see the data that has been input before the record is saved. The far right text box explains which data is calculated and which is the record fields in d_trtbl (bold vs not bold).

The 'group' of text and data boxes at the top middle are the 'infamous' group data boxes. Hence the text names: trgrp1num and trgrp1dlr which are fields in the "transaction" table named d_trtbl. The variables numgrp1 and dlrgrp1 are global variables that I have been trying to fill with data. These vars need to be updated for each new line item. With only one (1) line item in the parent record, they are almost redundant. With multiple line item entries, very necessary. All my attempts to transfer data into these variables have failed. In fact, I cannot get my xbasic code to even 'see' these vars. I felt if I could get the data into the global vars, it could then be put into the record fields.

Below that is the 'line item' browse. Just below the browse are summary calculated fields that total the extensions of the input line item data. These variables are either repeated or transferred to other variables as a mathematical cross check of data. These vars are defined in 'xy'.

The data boxes along the bottom are more global variables that are being used to 'try' to get data from the line item into the 'group data summary'. These variables correspond to each of the line item extensions and the group and units.

Each group has a different sales tax structure and needs to be summarized by count and dollars....

Data entry into the parent (d_trtbl) and the child (e_lines) is not a problem. Summarizing (or totaling) this data is not a problem (the unnamed data boxes below the browse). Getting this data into the parent record is not a problem. This is the "OK" part. If group data was not required, everything would be OK......

I have not yet found a way to take the line item data (in e_lines) and total it by group (the 001 and 002 and 003) seen as items are entered on the modal line item form.

Been trying to use the CanSave event on the form fe_limodal but cannot get code to see the global vars -- cannot even access debug or profiler from this event. Just dumps back to the form.

The only other way I can tell anyone how to look at what's going on is to look at the code on the 'new record' and 'save record' buttons on both forms and to look at the form events and the scripts used.

Try entering a record after looking at the event and script codes.

Hopefully we can continue, because I really need this to be done before 2008.

Thanx
        D

Comment

Quick question for Mike...

Looking at your response.
          The problem is not displaying the values in the (child) line item record; it's getting that data into global vars and then into the (parent) tx record.

Tried every form of addressing I could find to get data into global vars where I could 'do things' with it.

Need to get each line item summarized into the 'sales tax group'.

Thanx
          D

Comment

Solution found. Data is now being transferred.
            The only thing changed was to move the data transfer code from the OnSave event of the line item form to the Save Button on the same form.

The transfer code is executed just prior to the actual record save and the resync and repaint of the form.

Thanx to all who tried to help
            D

Comment

Working...
            X