Alpha Video Training

Thread: QODBC with Microsoft Vista

Real Name
    Barry Kucher

Default QODBC with Microsoft Vista

I have an appointment with a prospective client on Tuesday and he is looking for an application to take data from his proprietary Flat File (ASCII) and place the data into Quickbooks.

When I was at ATEC 2007, I remember a session on QReportBuilder and the features it had.

Until I meet with the client I won't know his immediate requirements, but I have an issue with QODBC.

I downloaded the driver from the web and have tried to install it on two different machines to no avail. Unfortunately both systems have Vista and I think this is the problem.

Has anyone else installed QODBC on a Vista machine? My main desktop has Vista installed Over XP and alot of software stopped working after that, but my new laptop is a clean install and it should have worked.

Any help would be appreciated. I really wanted to impress the client to walk in and display his data in Alpha. Previously, that has sold clients right on the spot with SQL Databases.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default Re: QODBC with Microsoft Vista

Barry

Good question. I haven't used QODBC with VISTA.

This forum is really for Qreportbuilder - which uses QODBC and Alpha 5. But what you are asking may affect VISTA and Qreportbuilder users.

You should also check the QODBC site where they have their own forum for the QODBC product. There is much that you can learn there...

There are topics there describing what to do with VISTA... (Don't take that soft lob...) ;)

QODBC & VISTA
    Last edited by Al Buchholz; 10-07-2007 at 01:00 AM.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Barry Kucher

Thanks Al. The support page had the instructions I needed. The site was down earlier so I couldn't get to that page.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Barry

You're welcome.

The site didn't respond the first time I connected either.. But it's hosted in Australia, so maybe a whale was dancing with the under-sea cable......

Let us know how your project proceeds. There are great examples and discussions on the QODBC board, but so much about Alpha. You can look at my web site and get a couple of presentations that I've made at the Alpha conferences. (You probably have the latest one from the last conference.)

There are numerous ways to connect Alpha and QB via QODBC. One of the latest efforts I've had makes Alpha drive data into QB - in lists and transaction tables. It also collects data from multiple Alpha users and drives it into QB via a single connection. Therefore only using a single QB license.

I hope your project goes well. Let me know if I can help.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Barry Kucher

Al,

Unfortunately, the tips on the website did NOT help the situation. I followed their instructions on both machines, and the install died in the same place on both (Which is different than each other).

Now that their site is up, I will scour it for ways around these issues. If I can't fix it by Monday night, I'll try reloading the laptop with XP. I was thinking of doing it anyway.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Barry

You may not have the latest version of QODBC.

If in doubt, just download it again...

The latest version is currently Version 8.0.0.234

What is the error message, if any, that you are getting?
    Last edited by Al Buchholz; 10-07-2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Error message?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS

Real Name
    Barry Kucher

Yes I have the latest version. I also tried an earlier version 4.0 that I found. I don't think it is a version issue, it is an install issue. It seems that it has to do with user rights under Vista.