Alpha Video Training

Thread: How to iterate through form controls

Real Name
    TD. Lee

Default How to iterate through form controls

How would I go about iterating through the controls on a form to test if the background color of each control is a particular color?

Thanks,
    TD

Real Name
    TD. Lee

Default Re: How to iterate through form controls

Anyone???

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

TD, there are probably several different ways to do this, but for the life of me I can't think why anyone would ever want to. What's the big picture?

Real Name
    TD. Lee

I have a form on which I set the color equation on certain fields to set the background color to canvas if the field is blank, white or the normal color, if it is not blank. This way I can visually tell the user which fields are required to be filled in.

More importantly I can write a function to which I pass the form name as a parameter and have the function iterate throught the "Type in fields" on that form to determine if the background color is white or not; if not white then the function would return a logical value of false which I can use to throw up a message box telling the user there are fields that need to be filled in before saving the form.

With this scheme I can use a single function with any form to test if the required fields have been filled in. Yes, I know you can set the fields to be required in field rules but I do not want/like the A5v7 message to appear.

I am quite pleased with my scheme if I can find an example of code that shows how to iterate throught the controls, test to see if the control type is "Type in field" and then check for the background color.

HTH,
    TD

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

TD,

Investigate <OBJECT>.CHILD_ENUM()

I don't have experience using it but the help file discussion makes it look promising.

Your concept is thought provoking. I haven't used color coding to distinguish required fields before and can see how that might be helpful. However, if most of your text controls are NOT required your approach will be checking and rechecking objects unnecessarily. The onInit script of your form could be used to populate an array of field names all of which are required. Your save record sequence could then check only the fields in the array and not have to iterate through the other fields where text is optional...

Anyway, good luck with your project.

Real Name
    TD. Lee

Thanks Tom!

TD

Real Name
    TD. Lee

My first attempt at creating a custom function in A5v7. It's purpose is described earlier in this thread. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with this code?

Thanks,
    TD

FUNCTION req_fld_chk AS L (form_name AS P )
    Dim frm as P
    Dim lst as U

frm = form_name
    lst = frm.Child_Enum("f=Type-in Field")
    *for_each(fld,iif(fld.fill.forecolor = "canvas",req_fld_chk = .t.,req_fld_chk = .f.),lst)

END FUNCTION

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Thomas Patten

I think Cal Locklin could help with this. website - www.aimsdc.net

His array fixer works in this manner.

Tom

Real Name
    Robin

Bump!
    This was a recent link for its example. Did it ever get resolved and can we see what you did please? I like this idea for color coding the required fields and would like to know how it worked out.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Quote Originally Posted by MoGrace View Post
    Bump!
    This was a recent link for its example. Did it ever get resolved and can we see what you did please? I like this idea for color coding the required fields and would like to know how it worked out.
    TD's function appears to be trying to check the forecolor and if it is canvas, set the function's return value to true. The logical value would have been set according to the last type in object in the list. Is that what you want or do you want the reverse?

IOW to set the forecolor to canvas for all required fields?

Real Name
    Robin

Hi Stan,
    It was an interesting idea, I am not sure how I would use it. I noticed though that if I color the fields that when the cursor enters the field it changes to white. (Database settings). It would be good to have a filled in field stay white if it is not blank. I already color the font for my key fields and am not sure if I want to change that to this idea or not. The colored fields also seem like a good idea for when a new record is being added. The payroll program I am using does this now.
    Last edited by MoGrace; 04-01-2008 at 03:55 PM.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford