Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Full screen calendar add-in??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full screen calendar add-in??

I am looking for a full screen interactive calendar add-in that will work well with Alpha (no need to re-invent anything).

When I do a Google search, I see there are several products designed for web sites including Google calendar. Has anyone found one that works particularly well and or examples?

Re: Full screen calendar add-in??

The term "interactive calendar" can mean a lot of different things so you may want to be more specific.

Google's calendar is quite impressive and can easily be included in a mashup.
    See http://www.programmableweb.com/api/google-calendar
    Bob Moore

Comment

Bob, what I would like to be able to do is to have people enter patients into the data base and show up in the calendar, if their authorized to see XYZ patients, yet the office manager can see all the patients in the calendar. So I am looking for a calendar app that will interface with the alpha server database.

Comment

So what you want is to allow selective calender viewing of appointments based on user authentication. I'm not aware of a "plug-in" or web based calender that allows this so you may have to code up your own.

In terms of Googles calendar interacting with Alpha generated data, it shouldn't be too difficult to tie in an Alpha web app to Google's calender API through Javascript although to try to accomplish what you are looking for with the Google calender I believe that each patient would have to have an accessable shared calender which would be tough to manage, but not impossible. I suspect that there is a better way.
        Bob Moore

Comment

It seems it can be done. Check out the Alpha samples page: http://www.alphasoftware.com/AlphaFi...cations_02.asp
          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
          Albert Einstein, (attributed)
          US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Peter Wayne gives code in his book on how to do this. But note: Google calendar is very fast due to AJAX implementation.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I have seen that calendar on that Alpha web site sample. I checked with Alpha and the calendar program they sell as an add-in is only for the desk top. So I wonder where that calendar application came from as that is exactly what I would like to use. Does any know?

Comment

The calendar in the example was written by a consultant for another consultant for resale. I know who on both sides, but would rather ask before posting here. I don't think it would be very economical, as in a cheap plug-in, othewise it would have ended up being made available.

Peter Wayne writes very good code, so the example in his book is probably solid, but I've never seen it in action. I actually need a calendar for a client application, so if I don't see anything else on this thread, I will probably recreate the calendar from his book (as far as I know I have to manually retype it from the book).
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve. I would think the need for such a calendar application would be much greater - I was surprised to see so few comments in the past forums about using scheduling calendars with Alpha databases. If you hear or learn anything more, please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Scholin View Post
                    So I wonder where that calendar application came from as that is exactly what I would like to use. Does any know?
                    Jerry Brightbill built it. He once said that Peter Wayne and he used the same concept in building their respective calendars.

Originally posted by Scholin View Post
                    I was surprised to see so few comments in the past forums about using scheduling calendars with Alpha databases.
                    Not sure what you mean. In the past there have been innumerable posts w. respect to calendars. Clearly, calendars are one of the most important aspects to many applications. Just hard to come by for some strange reason.
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Exactly my point - they should make an add-in like they did for the desktop that is built from Alpha code as I am sure integrating an Alpha calendar would be much easier than trying to shoe-horn in an unrelated calendar program, such as Google's calendar, even those some of the third party calendar programs would have more features.

But I am still surprised as I comb through the past forums that I could not find anyone commenting on using any third party calendar programs and how well it may have or have not worked. As you stated Peter, a calendar program can be an important part of many different applications.

Bottom line, I am no closer to finding a solution :(
                      (although I did order Peter Wayne's book this morning but I would rather buy a pre-built app!)

Comment

Creating this type of component through some sort of collaborative volunteer effort seems like a perfect first example of what I suggested some weeks ago: volunteer module development as an open source project.

Although everyone would love it if everything they can imagine was 1) anticipated by Alpha and 2) made available as part of the Alpha subscription, the reality is that we are (understandably) left to our own devices on some of these components (like calendar modules). We can imagine [or "need"] far more than Alpha can provide.

Waiting for a commercial provider isn't too likely to work for many of these needs, either. The return on time and money isn't enough to justify the headaches of commercial software development.

Left to individual effort, at-best, the same wheel keeps getting invented over-and-over. At-worst, only a few people ultimately create it and they keep it to themselves for fear of needing to support it.

I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to volunteer for such an effort. However, if nobody does it, a solution never comes into existence either. For these reasons, having several people work together on something like a calendar component seems sensible.

Just a few thoughts on where we're at and how to get past the current situation ...

Regards,
                        Dave

P.S. Collaborative volunteer module development is quite common in other development platforms (e.g., DotNetNuke).

Comment

Dave,

Excellent suggestion.

I've been working with Ruby on Rails for about 2 months now (which is Open Source) and the number of open source projects associated with RoR is astonishing. Most of what I've seen is quite impressive.

This would be a great way to expand and enhance A5.
                          Bob Moore

Comment

Anyone who has tried knows it is significantly more difficult to build something for distribution than for yourself (if you are going to do a decent job anyway).

I am going to tangent away from 'calendar' here because the more recent comments in this thread reflect something I think is more central.

In some ways I can't stand this forum because (as said below) it rehashes the same questions, ideas, and frustrations over and over. I've got some ideas on how to resolve that, maybe I'll talk about that later. But a healthy "collaborative volunteer effort" would yield great solutions and alternate sources of help beyond this forum. It could also help steer efforts at Alpha.

Lemme tell you, I think it is more vital than that. The Alpha Five product, the competition and the software development environemnt have evolved! It's vital to our existence (as Alpha Developers) that we also evolve. When I say we, I don't just mean us as individuals, but the whole Alpha spectrum in which we operate. See here, RoR comes along and sucks away some Alpha Developers, then FMP, then Delphi, then whoknows next. Its a highly competitive environment; Alpha has its advantages, but so do those other products. First impressions count for a lot when a potential user/developer looks our way; then access to resources becomes vital to sustain an agressive & talented developer. See how many complaints there are here about an absence of resources (training, docs, plug-ins, etc.). Its not always a reflection of what does exist (and Alpha has been doing well with the videos, etc.) but its a reflection of what amazing things people want to build with Alpha - seen positively, its a good sign that people site a lack of resources.

As said earlier here, Alpha is not to blame, they cannot possibly keep up, and I like them focused on building a great product, in which they excel.

So a lot of this has to do with US getting together and doing something. We are the ones that need to do this, and the best ones for the job. It may seem counter-intuitive, but I think it is vital for our own success that we help develop more Alpha Experts. That is the only way to attract more high quality clients to the field, and the only way for great ideas - in tune with today - to surface.

This requires sustained effort, it needs a 'program' and it needs a team to implement it. I have some specific ideas on this.

So back to the "collaborative volunteer effort". I'm game, you?
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve and Dave,

Very insightful and forward thinking - you are absolutely correct.

One of the advantages of Alpha is it's modular construction, which as a new guy to Alpha I am still getting use to but starting to appreciate more and more. A pool of "open source" modules that are clear as to what they are (not supported products) can be a great help in product development and stimulating creativity as well as learning. Great ideas!

Comment

Working...
                              X