Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Does a filter effect all the browses on a form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a filter effect all the browses on a form?

I am having issues with the filter feature when having more than one browse on a form. Based on the threads that I have read, it is my understanding that a filter has an effect on all the browses on a form, and there is no way to exclude a browse from the effect of another filter.

Is this correct? (Please say no!)

Kind regards
    George

Re: Does a filter effect all the browses on a form?

Hi George,

The answer to your question is yes and no since you are vague as to why you need this functionality. The main filter on a form does effect all browses, however, you can have additional filters on various embedded browses that provide additional filtering. This is done in the creation of your set linkage and the filters used within the links.

For example: If you have customer master set and you are showing all customers on your form .... and on the form you set a search for a specific customer ... this would filter your form based on the customer selected. ALL embedded browses on that form will ONLY show records pertaining to the customer selected. This is the however part, which is what I am not sure you are looking for or not.

Maybe this particular customer has multiple phone numbers in multiple states and I only want to display all the phone numbers in a particular state only for this customer. This would be what I would consider a 'sub-filter'. I am filtering further on the existing customer so that my browse only shows all the phone numbers for the state of 'CA' as an example which would be 3 phones and not all their locations in 10 other states. But that browse is still ONLY going to show the phone numbers from the parent filter which is the 'CUSTOMER'.

If that is NOT what you are looking for, then you would need to give us details on what you are trying to display in the various browses and how your set structure is setup so that we can try to offer possible work arounds to allow you to get the needed results.

Good luck
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

George, to supplement what Cheryl has said let me take you behind your form. Consider the structure of the set supporting your form. If there is only one instance of a given child table in the set, when you filter that child table it will affect all the objects in your form that display records from it. It's possible to put multiple browses on the form, all of which are based on the one instance of your table. Each browse might display different columns for example. But if the browse objects are bound to the one instance of your table when you filter that table all the displays are affected the same way. HTH, -- tom

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me guys, allthough it is NOT want I wanted to hear (hehe).

Kind regards
        George

Comment

George,

Let us know what you are trying to accomplish and it is quite possible somebody will be able to find a satisfactory work around for you :) You never know unless you try. We have found amazing work arounds to various browse issues over the years.

Good luck

(Not to mention that I am having a difficult time coming up with a scenario where I would need a browse to display different from the parent filter)
          Last edited by Cheryl Lemire; 10-14-2007, 12:34 PM. Reason: added info
          Cheryl
          #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

George,

If you are trying to have the same table in multiple browses sorted differently at the same time then you need to add that table multiple times in the set structure. This can only work for child tables as their can only be one parent.
            Tim Kiebert
            Eagle Creek Citrus
            A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Tim, what you say is correct, but perhaps a word of caution is warranted. Each instance of the table that's added to the table structure is live. Each browse object is bound to the underlying table. Personally, I've found it very difficult to use these arrangements in data entry forms. I'd be interested in hearing whether anyone out there actually recommends this approach for networked apps running over office local area networks. If so, I'd like to learn how to do it reliably.

Comment

Tom, You bring up a great point when mentioning 'data entry'. For me personally, I never allow users to have browses for data entry purposes. I have always forced them to load a separate form specifically designed for data entry only.

I do have a client that is networked with approximately 4 internal users and 2-3 external remote users, They have several master set information forms where I have multiple tables in the set several times. These browses are used for displaying a multitude of data in many specific ways. However, the browses are READ ONLY designed for quick access information purposes only.

This client has a fairly large sized db and for the purposes that the multiple master set forms have been designed, they do not have any difficulties.

If I were to allow data entry within these forms, I can only imagine the disasters I would be fighting and the fires that would have to be put out.
                Cheryl
                #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Tom, Thanks for adding the word of caution. I should have done so also. I also do not use this structure as data entry. I have used multiple instances of a table where the table was only for linking in a many to many relationship and the form was showing different aspects of the relationship. As Cheryl mentioned, I use dedicated forms to do data entry.
                  Tim Kiebert
                  Eagle Creek Citrus
                  A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X