Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Changing the size of the colums in a browse is not persistent, is it desired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the size of the colums in a browse is not persistent, is it desired?

Good day,
    I have noticed that changing the size of the column width (resizing) of an embedded browse, during runtime, is not persistent. Ie once you reopen the application the size is the way it was before I resized it.

Is there a way to let this change be persistent?

Kind regards
    George

Re: Changing the size of the colums in a browse is not persistent, is it desired?

Sure. Change the column width while form is in design mode and save the form.

Comment

Re: Changing the size of the colums in a browse is not persistent, is it desired?

:) :)

Tom, my users each have different needs (and screen resolutions) and hence they want to change the column size to fit their own individual needs.

Thus, I need a way to 'keep' the size for that user on his pc, and programmatically reapply the comumn width when the users opens the form.

Is there a way to do this?

Regards
      George

Comment

George, I haven't tried to do that myself. Suggest you search for related threads across the entire message board. (including the code archive forum)

The embedded browse object includes properties settings for each column. I can imagine a script that saves the column widths to disk, and then another one that reads them back and applies them when the form next opens again. If you find this has already been written, or if you write it yourself, please let us know.

And... you might want to post a request that browse column widths be "sticky" in the Features Wishlist forum.

-- tom

Comment

Sounded like an interesting exercise so I haven't checked the forum for any existing code but had a crack at it myself. Wasn't too hard in the end. This is bare bones, no error checking or the like. Just a proof of concept really. If you had a browse with a large number of columns you may need to use a memo field instead of the character that I used. Of course you wouldn't even need to store the sizes in a table. They could be written to a text file. In fact writing to a text file on the local machine would probably make it more user specific.
          Tim Kiebert
          Eagle Creek Citrus
          A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Tim, this might be a good spot to use Registry.save_settings() and Registry.load_settings() in order to store and retrieve the column dimensions. -- tom

Comment

Tom, Oh great, I wish you hadn't 've said that. Now I am going to have to investigate that aren't I. Whether I do that now(12:30 am) depends on the affect this last glass of port is going to inflict on me. Either make me sleepy and go to bed or destroy my judgement and stay up even later.
              Tim Kiebert
              Eagle Creek Citrus
              A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Are you 2 having fun? :)

Comment

Yep, hic!!
                  Tim Kiebert
                  Eagle Creek Citrus

Comment

Hi Tom & Tim,

It's probably a real bad idea to save the values in a registry for these reasons;
                    • May have Vista incompatibilities
                    • May be stopped by some anti-virus software
                    • Registry is cluttered up with too much windows junk
                    • Not easy to move settings to new location if needed
                    It is best, IMHO, to store settings as a text file or database entry in a special table. In general, there are levels of directories (or hierachy of the data) that I use.
                    • Shared directory of all A5 users (of your own creation)
                    • Database directory (and sometimes the shadow directory)
                    • local system directory (shared by all users)
                    • local user directory (for only 1 user) - In alpha 5 this is the exe directory for version 7 and less, and the application directory for version 8 and up
                    • Private directory (temporary usage - may be erased)
                    Depending upon who you want to be able to share the information, controls where you put it. (or allow one level's existence to override another's in a intelligent priority order)

Tom, this is an example of where you might put the "multi-function" function concept I talked about at the Alpha Five 2007 conference to use. A function would have options (read as parameters) to
                    • initialize all of the browse column widths upon init event of the browse and set up an exit browse event(or append to the current exit browse event) to save the values upon exit (which would be basically a call to the routine with a different parameter that runs the desired exit code and then runs the current exit event code)
                    • process the exit event
                    Thus your code to both save/restore and setup exit events is all contained in a single function (making the related code easier to maintain consistency and easier for use). So the init event might have
                    BrowseColumnSaveRestore()
                    and the exit event code which is modified on the fly by the init event (and thus is not physically there) would look like
                    BrowseColumnSaveRestore("X")
                    ....Old Exit event code here....
                    George - Don't worry about this unless you want to - It's just overkill for Tom and Tim about techniques.

These are the same basic techniques I use in the CSDA Code Utility for function design and saving settings and have worked reliably.
                    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                    CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

No Ira, on the contrarily, I find this most interesting and thought provoking.
                      Thanks for your input.

Regards
                      George

Comment

Working...
                      X