New call-to-action

Thread: Open window/form of existing field in browse

Real Name
    Jack DeBoer

Default Open window/form of existing field in browse

Wish I had a good description of what I am wanting to do so I could do a search on how to do the following.

I have a browse of child records with a number of fields. I have one field in the browse that is aprox. 200 character long. When I have a line selected I want to open a window (form or dialog) of just that one field. What I am wanting to do is like a memo field in a browse. You can click on an icon and the memo opens up in it's own window.

Thanks in advance

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: Open window/form of existing field in browse

Quote Originally Posted by turbojack View Post
    When I have a line selected I want to open a window (form or dialog) of just that one field.
    Ain't gonna happen. You have to code some event to open something to display the field contents in another browse (of the one field), xdialog, or whatever. There is no "row selected" event. You will have to use an existing event.

Events for Browse Objects

The browse object triggers the following events:

Note : Placing a browse on a form creates the browse object. There are no events for stand alone browse windows, only browse objects on forms.

Event Name
    Occurs When

OnExit
    When the browse object is exited. This will occur after the form that encloses the browse object is closed.

OnInit
    When the browse object is created. This will occur after the form that encloses the browse object is instantiated.

OnFetch
    When the browse is re-synchronized (i.e. when Alpha Five fetches a record). Whenever the user navigates to a new row in the browse, this event and the OnRowChange event will fire. However, the OnFetch event will also fire if the browse is re-synchronized without navigating to a new row.

CanRowChange
    Just before you navigate to a new row.

OnRowChange
    When you navigate to a new row in the browse.

OnRowDblClick
    When you double click on a row selector. If the browse object is read only, then this event will fire if you double click within the row.

CanArrive
    Before the browse object on the form gets focus.

CanDepart
    Before the browse object on the form can loose focus.

OnArrive
    After the browse object on the form has got focus.

OnDepart
    After the browse object on the form has lost focus.
    Onrowchange or onfetch seem the most likely candidates unless you want to educate the users to understand they should double click to see the field contents and code the onrowdblclick.
    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 10-17-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Real Name
    Jack DeBoer

I guess I did not explain good enough. Here is a database showing what I am wanting to do. Open form one. When you go to records in the browse you can not read everthing that is under description. I want to push the button to open up window showing what is in the field. As you can see when you press the button a form comes up with the first record but when you highlight the second row and press the button the first row still shows. As I was typing this I think what I am wanting to do is do a filter to get the record number that equals the record the browse has higlighted.

If you go to the memo field and click on the field the memo window opens. I am just wanting some similar to that for character field.

Real Name
    Jack DeBoer

Here is my crude working copy. I guess when you get stumped when you start to write about it you then look at in in a different way.

"Certified" Alphaholic Tim Kiebert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tim Kiebert

Jack,

How about some thing like this, using a button right in the browse row.

Go to form1x. Then desc column properties->'Other' tab -> then 'Edit Display Format'

The code for the button is found by going to the events for the browse. It is in the event called events. I put in three different options to try by commenting or uncommenting the lines of code.
    Last edited by Tim Kiebert; 10-18-2007 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Correction to sample and pic
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Real Name
    Jack DeBoer

I like your example alot better then what I had. Your code is less bulky that what I had. Thanks