Alpha Video Training

Thread: Failded to save document

Real Name
    D.Chiasson

Default Failded to save document

Before anyone tells me to search & review the MANY posts, I did and nothing seems to work so I will setup the scenario:

Before new install
    1.Initially our app was running perfectly under the A5 version 6.0 runtime. The runtime was in a folder called "runtime".

Our license is an 10 user unlimited.

2.The Server is running 2003 & the workstations XP Pro

3.the user deleted the app off the hard drive of both FS & WS but NOT via the control panel.

4.Desktop icons were removed.

NEW installation of our application:
    1.into a brand-new directory with a new runtime folder called "A5V8 runtime"
    This is using A5, version 8,

2.new desktop icons are placed during the install process

3.they try to startup the app, they "sometimes" get the Error "Failed to save document". If they click OK, the app OPENS & everything runs like normal.

I have asked them to start & exit the app a few times & see what happens. Sometimes, it will start with no error others after they have start & exited a few times.

This error is happening at both the FS & WS's.

We are TOTALLY stumped. Any ideas of what they sud try is very much appreciated.

dewayne

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Default Re: Failded to save document

Some clarification might help:

1. Did you uninstall the v6 runtime or just delete the folder it was in? (You should have uninstalled it or better yet left it alone until all was working well with A5v8).

2. Did you delete the app (not Alpha Five) from the old runtime and then install somewhere else? At best you should have just copied all the app files to a new folder and deleted the old ones after all was working well from the new location.

The best suggestion I have at this point is to make sure you have installed the latest patch.

Real Name
    D.Chiasson

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
    Some clarification might help:

1. Did you uninstall the v6 runtime or just delete the folder it was in? (You should have uninstalled it or better yet left it alone until all was working well with A5v8).

2. Did you delete the app (not Alpha Five) from the old runtime and then install somewhere else? At best you should have just copied all the app files to a new folder and deleted the old ones after all was working well from the new location.

The best suggestion I have at this point is to make sure you have installed the latest patch.
    Thanks for the help.

The OLD app or more correctly the "PM Pro WEB" folder was deleted by deleting the FOLDER.

The tree was PM Pro WEB on the root with 2 folders below that "runtime"
    and "Applcation"

A5 version 6 was in the runtime & the data plus all the other files ADB/DDD/SET etc are in Application.

After the NEW install, the tree was PM Pro WEB in root with A5V8 runtime
    & Application below that.

This runs perfectly on many other setups with no problem.

I do not understand what you mean by "...delete the app (not Alpha Five) from the old runtime & then install somewhere else". Please refer to the details above as to how the old app was deleted.

As I mentioned in my original POST the app RUNS ok in v8 except it does not look too smooth to have an intermittent error message popup on startup "sometimes".

dewayne

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Have you installed the latest A5v6 patch?

Real Name
    D.Chiasson

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
    Have you installed the latest A5v6 patch?
    Thanks again. No, our app uses "Build 1805, addins 3114 dated oct5". On looking at the 2 very small changes & release notes we do not see anything remotely connected with the Error Message this client is getting.

I wonder if it could have anything to do with A5's History tracking & its interaction with Windows. Registry? The old replaced app, was in a directory called PM Pro WEB with a folder called "Application" (containing the dbfs & all the app files ADB/etc). The new install was also installed in PM Pro WEB & a folder called "Application".

The only change was the upgrade had the A5 runtime installed in a different named folder than the replaced one.

Back to the drawing board.

dewayne

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Of course I meant A5v8 patch not v6, but if you are using addins 3114 the patch is probably not the issue. However, you should know that the release notes are not necessarily a list of every bug that has been fixed in a patch. Still I now doubt this is the issue. Unfortunately I am out of ideas.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Dewayne,

AFAIK this error means that Alpha cannot find a table that it has been instructed to open. The error will occur when a table is missing or when the path to the table is different than Alpha is expecting. If there were a problem with missing table or a bad path it seems to me that the app would throw the error every time it starts, yet your user says this isn't happening. The error only appears "sometimes", right?

Does this happen occasionally on all machines, or just one? Might this be a problem with the network or the local machine?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ed Barley

Hi Dewayne,

We have a network with 10 machines. We get this message usually when Alpha can not find the start up file. Some times the Lan gets a little funny, and the network drive that the "main data base" is on does not come up for what ever reason. Past the switch there are maybe 500 more machines.

Like Tom indicated check your paths to the data base files.

I forgot to add, as above, the LAN gets a little funny sometimes, so this message is also intermitant. But more than not, it is a problem with Alpha not finding the startup file.

Regards

Ed
    Last edited by Ed Barley; 10-19-2007 at 11:15 AM.