Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Embedded Browse Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embedded Browse Mystery

I have a form which is built on a set. The form contains two embedded browses. 1 (workoutworkoutbrowse) is based off of the first child table and the other (workoutexercisebrowse) is based on the child table of the first child table.

When i switch records in the workouts browse the exercise level repopulates as it should.

I have a series of fields that contain the information for each exercise (sets and reps for the exercise). These also repopulate as they should.

Now for the problem. When I select an exercise in the exercise browse and try to input information in the fields for that exercise, it automaticly moves to the first exercise in the browse list. If i move the exercise i tried to work with to the beginning of the list i can then add the information.

Additionally, I have some workouts that when selected, the above issue will only occur for certian exercises in the list and not for others.

I have opened the default browse for the exercise list table and all records contain the correct type of information. I see no difference between the records that work and the records that dont.

There is no filter/sort set for the form.

I have attached the database to this post. to get to the problem you will have to first open the form client main. This will populate a couple needed variables.

Then open the problem form:"assign workout1"
    Thanks for helping.
    Tony

Re: Embedded Browse Mystery

Tony,

After finding what I believe to be the correct forms and fields you are referring to, I could not duplicate your problem. Maybe more detailed steps are necessary...leastways for me to try to help! :)
    Mike

Comment

Hi Tony,
      I am a newby to Alpha5 but I had exactly the same problem with v8. In my database the constellation person:invoice:item (every 1:many) showed the same: I used a tabbed object with 3 layers. On each layer i positioned an embedded browse. When I eg. marked person "Smith" on the second layer all the invoices from Smith were displayed correctly. But when I eg. marked invoice #4 of Mr. Smith only the first (!!!) item was shown.

When you browse this message board you will see that a lot of discussions concerning browses in v8 occured. It seems to be that thes concerns will fixed by patches. Hopefully also this, 'cause it seems to be a nasty BUG (sorry Alpha5 team).

Bye
      Roland

Comment

Thanks Mike and Roland.

Mike,
        Try this:
        1. Open the Client Main form-This will set variable values that are used in the next form.
        2. Open the Assign Workout1 form
        3. Select workout #1 (3123) Workout Number 1
        4. Select exercise #99 sdasfdasd.
        5. Under "set information" above the exercise try to type a number in set 2-set 8 field. It should automatically switch to the first record in the browse.

This is also happening
        6. In the same exercise, change the exercise order so that any other exercise is designated as 1 and resort the list. Now try to work with the set and rep info for the new #1 exercise. It will now work.

I hope this clarifies a little better.
        Thanks again.
        TOny

Comment

Tony

I downloaded your zip file yesterday but could not duplicate what you were doing - I was going to ask for a better explanation but Mike beat me to it.

I followed your instructions but still cannot duplicate what you see. I can enter info into Set 2 - Set 8 with no problem. Everything works as it should based on your form and your sets.

Is there something else we have to do to replicate the problem, or maybe Mike will see something I didn't?

Sorry

Tom Baker

Comment

Tony,

Same as Tom.

So now two things to ask.

First, have you tried your sample database to make sure IT shows the problem--many times just by duplicating a database will clear up some issues.

Second and most likely the cause...I am running version 8 from a very early version 1784 3110 or something like that--I have not updated since I recently purchased it. What version are you running and does reverting back to a prior version fix it--maybe go back to what I have and try it--if the problem disappears then keep applying patches until the problem resurfaces and then submit a bug report.

That is, unless you and Tom are running the same version and build---then it may be something that is corrupted with your Alpha install.
            Mike

Comment

Tony I am running 8118 - 3118 (the latest patch), what are you running?

Mike - you made a very good point when we cannot duplicate what is going on - it could be a conflict of patches - yours an early version - mine the latest version - we cannot duplicate - however, Tony may be using a patch that may have to do with his problem or as you suggested a corrupt install.

Tom

Comment

Hi everybody,
                today I tryed an idea - based on something a guy from alphasoftware wrote in another thread: I defined the primary keys as characters, auto-increment - but *** do not define them as a default !!! *** It seems that V8 does something different than earlier versions ... After I did this it seemed that the mistake reported by tony (and myself) did not occur anymore. Maybe that was it - all the records are displayed correctly - from mother table to all child tables. By the way: Maybe my expressions do not sound like they should - I am a German native ... :-)
                Tony: I am courios if this helpes you ...
                Good luck,
                Roland (Austria)

Comment

Roland, the default value field rule should only be used on fields that the user is going to fill in. Do not use the default value field rule for fields where you are arranging to fill in a calculated field value for the user. There's no point in supplying a default value where you've already instructed Alpha (through autoincrement or calculated field rules) what to insert. Just let Alpha insert the actual field value, not a proposed, preliminary, default value. -- tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                    Roland, the default value field rule should only be used on fields that the user is going to fill in. Do not use the default value field rule for fields where you are arranging to fill in a calculated field value for the user. There's no point in supplying a default value where you've already instructed Alpha (through autoincrement or calculated field rules) what to insert. Just let Alpha insert the actual field value, not a proposed, preliminary, default value. -- tom
                    Hhmmmm, I agree with not using a default value with a calculated field. However all of my auto increment fields are set up with default values and they never have caused a problem. I have done this so that if a table is emptied or will be used for the first time the field will contain the correct format of data that I want as auto increment. Such as "Inv000001". I don't mean to start a whole discussion on the correct use of autoincrement. My point is that I have never had a problem with using a default value in conjunction with them. Unless the help is wrong here it is a recommended procedure. How Auto-Increment Fields Work
                    Tim Kiebert
                    Eagle Creek Citrus
                    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Tony,

I have tried your app with version 1724-3092 and 1796-3112 and don't see the behaviour you describe. Seems to work as you want.

Roland,

if you had numeric data type for some of your key fields that may have been causing you problems. Alpha would have been converting them to character to store in the index and then when needed would be doing another conversion to compare the value in the field to the index. i have seen a few weird things in examples posted to the forum that went away when key fields were changed to character. Switching them to character would also have rebuilt the indexes.
                      Tim Kiebert
                      Eagle Creek Citrus
                      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Tim, you make a good point and have reminded me of how I used to set things up also. I believe I should stand corrected and would agree that the use of the default value field rule is fine to use with autoincrement field rules. Thanks. -- tom

Comment

Originally posted by rolstra View Post
                          Hi everybody,
                          today I tryed an idea - based on something a guy from alphasoftware wrote in another thread: I defined the primary keys as characters, auto-increment - but *** do not define them as a default !!! *** It seems that V8 does something different than earlier versions ... After I did this it seemed that the mistake reported by tony (and myself) did not occur anymore. Maybe that was it - all the records are displayed correctly - from mother table to all child tables. By the way: Maybe my expressions do not sound like they should - I am a German native ... :-)
                          Tony: I am courios if this helpes you ...
                          Good luck,
                          Roland (Austria)
                          Roland,
                          Any chance you could provide a link to that thread post. If it is the one I am thinking of you may have misinterpreted it.
                          Tim Kiebert
                          Eagle Creek Citrus

Comment

DISCOVERY!!!
                            Okay, changed builds 3 times...No luck. Zipped the database. Deleted the old version and opened the zipped version...No luck. Duplicated the form...no luck.

Deleted the radio buttons i had set up to select the day of week...It works!!! no more problems.

I am not for sure why this was a problem. I had the field the radio buttons were built on set as a character field 10 characters wide (which is large enough to hold the selected value).
                            T

Comment

I lied.

Still Broken!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X