Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Simple Balance Forward problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Balance Forward problem

The records in this db consist of budget information like payee, due date amount, bal forward,etc. I start out with a record containg the beginning balance and as I enter transactions, I need to post a new balance forward for each tarnsaction. I have no problem creating a running balance forward using the post field rule of adding or subtraction to a balnce forward. However my problem is showing the balance forward for each transaction in the db. IE, if the BF was $1000 and I entered an income transaction of $50, the BF for the record should show $1050. Instead, that figure appears on the Balance Forward of the first record in the db. In other words, I'd just like to have a running BF for each transaction entered. Hope I'm able to explain what I'm looking for. Also I said in the beginning it was simple, and I know if I looked deep enough I can either find the answer in Action Script or perhaps Xbasic. Maybe someone who has the posting example, etc. that can help me.

Tia
    Bruno Yim

Re: Simple Balance Forward problem

Hi Bruno,

Take a look at a few of these threads...I think one or more may have the answer you are looking for. I used the words... running total, checkbook .... for the search.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...earchid=290315
    Mike

Comment

MikeC

Comment

MikeC
        That link is no longer available. Thanks anyway because I was able to take your advice and use the search. Still I was not able to get any info from the post that were there. There seem to be other people having the same balance forward problem like I do. Hope someone out there does have a solution.

Comment

Bruno,

Sorry about the bad link--I was sure I double-checked it but anyway here is one of the threads that seems to indicate an answer for you in a couple of ways---you probably noticed the reference to Dr. Peter Wayne's book in which he guides a user through creating a checkbook--sounds like it might be a worthwhile investment for you.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...l%2C+checkbook
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by by5751 View Post
            The records in this db consist of budget information like payee, due date amount, bal forward,etc. I start out with a record containg the beginning balance and as I enter transactions, I need to post a new balance forward for each tarnsaction. I have no problem creating a running balance forward using the post field rule of adding or subtraction to a balnce forward. However my problem is showing the balance forward for each transaction in the db. IE, if the BF was $1000 and I entered an income transaction of $50, the BF for the record should show $1050. Instead, that figure appears on the Balance Forward of the first record in the db. In other words, I'd just like to have a running BF for each transaction entered. Hope I'm able to explain what I'm looking for. Also I said in the beginning it was simple, and I know if I looked deep enough I can either find the answer in Action Script or perhaps Xbasic. Maybe someone who has the posting example, etc. that can help me.

Tia
            Bruno Yim
            I have never been able to understand why it is necessary to store this type of information , but then I don't use this type of data so it is probably just me.

The balance forward, on a given date, should always be obtainable as a calculation.

balance_forward = beginning balance - transactions

for a given payee as of a given date?

If payee is the unique identifier field for the payee
            If beginning_balance is the field name for beginning balance
            If t_date is the field name for the transaction date
            If transaction is the field name for the transaction amount
            If there is one record for each payee with the beginning balance, multiple records for transactions.

On a form, report, browse, etc

Code:
            tablesum("tablename","payee = "+s_quote(payee),"beginning_balance")-tablesum("tablename","payee = "+s_quote(payee)+".and. t_date <= "+s_quote(date()),"transaction")
            should yield the current balance forward (today's date) for the currently visible record on a form, each record in a browse, each record in the detail section of a report or if placed in a group header or footer breaking on payee, for that payee - when used as the expression for a calculated field.

If you want the balance forward as of some other date, just create another calculated field and substitute that date for date() in the expression. You could refer to a variable if you liked.....

Code:
            tablesum("tablename","payee = "+s_quote(payee),"beginning_balance")-tablesum("tablename","payee = "+s_quote(payee)+".and. t_date <= "+s_quote(var->somedate),"transaction")
            There can be only one.

Comment

MikeC
              The links are exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks for your great help. Hope one day I can return the favor.

Comment

You're welcome.

There are so many ways to accomplish things that for sure try out Stan's as well as the others....if it fits with what you are trying to do that is.

Good luck!
                Mike

Comment

Just a thought here, but storing the balance forward is undesirable as Stan notes, but for a reason that he didn't expressly state: it represents duplicative information in your database, which is (simplistically) "bad design style."

Admittedly, calculating the balance forward for each transaction is a little bit involved. Displaying it quickly may be a challenge. Yet, the reason for good design style is that it tends to save time and reduce bugs in the long term.

For example, if you compute and store balance forward for each transaction, you must be prepared to adjust all those stored balance forward results when transactions are entered into your checkbook out of chronological order.

Also, to expand on my earlier point (and Stan's really), the balance forward is duplicative because it implicitly includes the value of each transaction, which is stored separately. Having two versions of the same information requires that those versions be coherent (changes to one form require changes to the other).

I suspect the means for computing the balance forward at each transaction, as a real time computation, is apparent if you want to go that way. Of course, I merely offer this as a philosophy for longer-term success.

Good luck,
                  Dave

Comment

Dave:
                    Thank both you and Stan for your philosophical advice. As noted, to me this was what I thought was very simple. If I did this in Cobol 50 years ago I would have no problem coming out with a solution, but in todays programming Windows, method, etc. I seem to be way out of my league. I am trying to develope my own very simple budget system without all the bells and whistles until my boss(wife) wants some additional feature/upgrade. Right now I wanted to view my transactions via a browse and not yet on a report. Later maybe. Currently, in my household we handle approximately 16 inc/exp transactions. When I receive a statement in the mail, power, gas, telephone, credit card, etc. all I want to is keep track of these transactions when I enter them in the DB. I will enter the usual information, date received, payee, amount to be paid, due date, etc. The system will automatically back date 10 days from the due date, so I am sure to send out my payment to the payee within time of the due date. Since these transactions are entered into the system at any time of the month, I wanted first, to show the beginning balance of the month, then as transactions are entered in the system I would like to show the running balance on a transaction basis. I have no problem updating my balance forward field to show the running balance, It is the balance forward for each transaction that I am interested in. That information may seem trivial for you or Stan but it does allow me to see where I stand throughout the month. That is what I meant by being simple.

Thanks very much
                    Bruno

Comment

Hi Bruno,

I'm glad to hear your perspective and that our advice was taken as intended - as mere advice. You seem to have a clear and sensible idea of what you want to do and why. I have no doubt you can and will reach those goals.

Best of luck
                      Dave

Comment

Hi Bruno,
                        Rudy here from NJ. I'm trying to create a eunning balance in a browse using Peter Wayne's book and I still cannot get it to run. I get syntax errors, variable type mismatches errors etc.

Did you ever get your app to run correctly? I would like to set up a button called Re-calculate Disbursements and when I press it, have it start with rec 1 and propagate the balance forward until the end of the table.

Would like to take the ending balance from the 1st record in the embedded browse and use it as the starting balance in 2nd record and so forth and so on.

I'mm 66 years old and worked with Cobol and CICS for many years before retiring. Like you, in Cobol a snap.

I've attached a screen shot of my form. To get it to work, I vopy thr bal_fwd fro the 1st and paste it to the open balance of the 2nd entry and the formula for now calculates "bal_fwd=opn_bal+deposits-Chk_amt". Doing it this way until I can figure out gow to automate it. Hope you can help.

Thanls,
                        Rudy

Comment

I just ran across this thread while searching for something else and thought I would add in my 2 cents.

I do not store running totals in my dbf's as per Stan's advice. To get the starting balance on my invoice form I do the following:

1. On the form in question, I create a button for Printing. This button prompts for the Consumer (or whatever field you like) using an XDialog and stores that to a variable. I then prompt via XDialog, for two dates, one for the starting date and one for the ending date. You can set these up any way you wish. For mine, I used a date in the far past to start and "=date()" for the current date. The user can then make their selections.
                          2. On the report form I add a calculated field as follows:

balfor = tablesum("pna","consumer='"+var->hac+"'.and.between(gdate,{11/11/1111},var->lac)","amount")

pna = the table in question.
                          hac = the result of the consumer prompt
                          gdate = the date you are using in your dbf
                          {11/11/1111} = a starting date in the past before all possible input
                          lac = the end date obtained from the prompt
                          amount = the dbf field for the amount

That should do it.

Comment

Thanks, Charles. Your contribution may be a big help to other travelers who wander by and discover this thread. -- tom

Comment

That will work if var-> lac is global, but (opinion follows) it is more proper and portable/flexible to use

balfor = tablesum("pna","consumer='"+var->hac+"'.and.between(gdate,{11/11/1111},{"+dtoc(var->lac)+"})","amount")
                              or
                              balfor = tablesum("pna","consumer='"+var->hac+"'.and.between(gdate,{11/11/1111},"+s_quote(var->lac)+")","amount")
                              There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                              X