Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Summary Operation Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summary Operation Order

I've just spent about 4 hours trying to make a summary report work. My design goal is to have a space after every 10th record.

I made a report using a filter and order defined in the report. The report worked correctly, but I was not getting a space after every 10th record. I was but I believe the count included the records that did not match the filter.

So then I decided to create a summary operation and design a report using the summary table. My dilemma is that the summary operation does not populate the table even though there are valid records. The same code used in the report filter works. Moving the code to the summary operation does not. No error messages, just a blank table.

The one thing I noticed looking at the XB code, the order is defined, but not by me. And no where can I find a place to define the order. What am I missing??
    Alpha 5 Version 11
    AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
    DBF's and MySql
    Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Re: Summary Operation Order

My design goal is to have a space after every 10th record.
    Is this what you are looking for?

Comment

[ cancelled ]

-- tom

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
        Is this what you are looking for?
        Gabe, I went to the thread but there were no attachments there that had your solution. Any chance of getting it so I can see how you resolved it?

Thanks

Ken

Comment

Thanks Gabe.

I'll take a look later as I'm short on time right now.

I was using the technic on Dr. Wayne's site which worked fine with a summary table.

My real problem right now is that I can't create a summary table using the summary operation. Additionally, I can't set the order of the summary table and the underlying XB has an order that can not be changed.

I'm not sure if the order is the cause of the summary operation to fail.

When I run the operation, the filter works as I get a message box which tells how many records will be summarized. As I change the value of the filter variable, the number of records to be summarized changes. When the operation is completed, the summary table opens with no records. And there are definitely valid records that should be summarized.

Looking at my screen shot, there is no where that I can see to change the order of the summary table.
          Alpha 5 Version 11
          DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Looking at my screen shot, there is no where that I can see to change the order of the summary table.
            Intrinsic to the summary operation is the assumption that if your first order grouping is by "Alphaid" then you want the records ordered by "Alphaid", etc. Are you having trouble re-ordering the summary table after it is created or are you still having issues with running the summary?
            There can be only one.

Comment

Ron:
              I thought you resorted to the summary operation as a work around, which I don't think you need, nonethless, in Summary operation, the order is the order of the grouping and it is by default ascending.

For example, if you group by F_Name then by L_name, that's what the order will be and it will be in ascending order.

So, if you want to change the order, change the order of the grouping.

What if you want to do it in Descending?
              Hmmm.. take a guess!

Incidently, I don't have that attachment. Perhaps somebody else does. I am sure Cheryl does.
              Last edited by G Gabriel; 11-06-2007, 11:19 AM.

Comment

When the operation is completed, the summary table opens with no records. And there are definitely valid records that should be summarized.
                Is vyear a global variable?

Comment

Gabe,
                  I am sure Cheryl does.
                  Is that your way of saying that I am a pack rat? That thread was from more than a year ago. I will go look on my old computer to see if I still have your zip.

However, I did detail in the thread what was done in the zip in order to get the desired results.
                  Cheryl
                  #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
                  http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Ken,

I am sorry, but I cannot get my old computer to stay booted long enough for me to search the files (hence my 'old' computer).

Please read further down in that thread, I explain what we did. In simpler terms, open your report in design mode, create a calculated field:

Code:
                    blank = if(mod(run_count(Serial_Num,GRP->Model),10)=0,crlf(2),"")
                    In my case the calculation was based on my field name of serial_num in my model group of the report. You would have to modify the field name and group to match your needs.

Then all we did was add an 'rtf' object to my report at the end of the detail line (far right). After every tenth record, the blank calculated field adds a blank line.

Hope that helps.
                    Cheryl
                    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl Lemire View Post
                      Ken,

I am sorry, but I cannot get my old computer to stay booted long enough for me to search the files (hence my 'old' computer).

Please read further down in that thread, I explain what we did. In simpler terms, open your report in design mode, create a calculated field:

Code:
                      blank = if(mod(run_count(Serial_Num,GRP->Model),10)=0,crlf(2),"")
                      In my case the calculation was based on my field name of serial_num in my model group of the report. You would have to modify the field name and group to match your needs.

Then all we did was add an 'rtf' object to my report at the end of the detail line (far right). After every tenth record, the blank calculated field adds a blank line.

Hope that helps.
                      Thanks Cheryl, I appreciate the effort and have copied this code to my evernote folder so I don't lose it.

Ken

Comment

Thanks all.

After a good nights sleep, I figured out the order question within a minute. Duh!!!!

I can't get the summary to work because of the filter. I'm trying to run the summary operation on a set with part of the filter from the parent and part of the filter from the child. I did this to have a table with all valid records. Then using the expression in the group break, int(mrecno()/10-.01), I'd get a space after every 10th record. But I can't get the summary operation to work.

I've tried placing the filter expression in the report which works just fine. The problem then is that the expression int(mrecno()/10-.01) seems to be counting the records that do not match the filter along with the filtered records. Hence, the spaces are all over the place.

Gabe, I will take a look at your suggestion in a few minutes. But if it counts all the records, it probably won't work either. And yes, vyear is a global variable. I did try putting a fixed value and that did not work either.
                        Alpha 5 Version 11
                        DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Hi Ron,

What is your filter? Do you have group breaks? Look at the expression I posted earlier and see if you can change yours to run the count on the field that you need.

Good luck
                          Cheryl
                          #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

I was too lazy to re-do the zip file, but here it is.
                            Last edited by G Gabriel; 11-07-2007, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks all,

I was having a bad time getting things to work, so I just walked away.
                              When I came back, I started with a new report.

Thank you Gabe for your solution of placing a calculated field in an RTF object. I think it's the best solution I've seen yet to add blank lines. It's easy and it gives me the greatest amount of control.

Code:
                              blank = if(mod(run_count(Name_of_Field_to_Count_IN_Report),10)=0,crlf(2),"")
                              In this case, my report does not have any details, just a footer for the group break. In the footer are fields, one which totals the amount donated by the group.

Thanks,

Ron
                              Alpha 5 Version 11
                              DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Working...
                              X