Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Application Printing Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Application Printing Issue

Have an application that generates a PDF file from input data once submit is pushed. This works fine almost all the time. For some reason lately I am getting an error and the app is hanging during the printing action. What might cause this to work most of the time but occasionally not? I recently moved this application from one server to another. All the appropriate Alias have been changed and the app seems to work fine 99% of the time.

Attached event log screen gif.

Re: Application Printing Issue

This is really becoming a critical problem as when it happens all applications on the WAS server are not functionl. The exact error message is:
    Printer Not Activated - Errro Code 30

This appears to be a problem in other software on the net from what I can tell. Does anyone have a solution to this for A5v8??

Gary

Comment

Gary, go to your server, select printers, and see if the ayumi printer is installed. If not, there is an installation exe in the application server program directory.

Pat
      Pat Bremkamp
      MindKicks Consulting

Comment

I have completed this installation. Does this need to be the default printer? Right now I have the Alpha printer as the default.

Gary

Comment

I don't think so. Try it and see.
          Pat Bremkamp
          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Gary:

Also check that the Printer Spooler is running on the server. It is often set to start manually, you can set it to start automatically. The pdf printer will not work unless the printer spooler is running.

Clive
            Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
            Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Comment

The print spooler should be OFF for the Alpha Five Printer driver (Clive may be referring to a server spooling setting, not related to the driver itself. I don't know where that is set.)

Here are some comparisons that will help.

I have four instances of Application Server running. Consistent on ALL of those machines:

The Alpha Five Printer Spooler is set to OFF. Properties > Advanced > Print Directly to the Printer is selected.

I have ONLY the Alpha Five Printer. Gary, you have an additional one named Amyuni Document Converter. I don't have that on any machine. Did this error exist before you ran the install step Pat suggeste below, which I assume added the Amyuni Converter driver.

On all of my Alpha Five Printer drivers, if I right-click and select Printing Preferences, I get the -30 error you get. As I go through the driver, the -30 error pops up on several of the button selections. But it does not affect normal operations, PDF's print as normal.

Every single configuration page of your Alpha Five Printer is the same as my working driver; same version, exact same settings etc. Except on the Ports page where your says "Amyuni Document Converter, Alpha Five Printer" and mine just says "Alpha Five printer". That's curious and would encourage me to delete the Amyuni Document Converter driver as a start, then check the Alpha Five driver to see what remains under Port.

Beyond that, you have to test when it happens. What report, exactly when.
              Last edited by Steve Wood; 11-10-2007, 06:51 AM. Reason: unsure about the spooler, driver or server setting?
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

I figure now that Clive was referring to the Print Spooler that is found under Services for the server. I check and it is running, set to Auto.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Also, under recovery, set it to restart, restart again, then on third try maybe set it to reboot.
                  Greg

Comment

What is 'recovery'?
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

Under services for when you are looking at a particular service right click and choose properties and you will find on a tab the area referenced as recovery--it allows you to decide how your OS will respond to when some service does not start---how many retries, etc.
                      Mike

Comment

OK. If you mean the Print Spooler, that service is running fine and not part of the problem, at least here.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Future reference. If a service should suddenly stop, the recovery feature will advise the OS on what to do. I alway will set the recovery tab on Apps. like MSSQL and MSSQLAgent. If SQL agent stops, non of your batch jobs will run.
                          Greg

Comment

For close to a week now I have had no problems with the printer hanging up. For some reason today, I once again got the error message. I have removed the Amyuni Converter printer, but the driver still remains and I don't see an Alpha driver for the Alpha printer.

I DID have the problem before I installed the Amyuni printer so I anticipate that the problem will return. I don't understand how things can work fine for so long and then have this error which makes the applcation unaccessible to users until I remote to the server an close the error window.

Any more ideas? Thanks.
                            Gary

Comment

Gary - go to the A5 config screen and turn on all of the logging functions, then wait for an error:

1) see if you can figure out when the error occured. There should be a message in the servers Event Log.

2) look at the A5 logs for the same moment and see what the user was doing.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X