Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Astrum Installer Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astrum Installer Questions

After reading several posts in the forum supporting it, I have purchased Astrum Install Wizard to create installation packages for my application that I am creating in A5V8.

While setting up my install program, I have run into trouble inputting the correct shortcut link target for the shortcuts Astrum creates. I wish to have my application open with my splash screen and title. I understand that I cannot simply point my shortcuts to the alpha5.exe file and need to add additional information to my short cut. So this is what I have done and its outcome:

1. I started with the link target copied directly from the shortcut generated from A5v8: "C:\Program Files\A5V8 Runtime\alpha5.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Tony Reynolds.PSSLABTOP\Desktop\WCP 11 9 07\Workout Creator.adb" -INCLUDE="C:\Documents and Settings\Tony Reynolds.PSSLABTOP\Desktop\WCP 11 9 07\Workout Creator_Workout Creator Pro.startup"
    2. I then changed it to use the Astrum installers variables: “<InstallDir>\alpha5.exe" "<InstallDir>\Workout Creator.adb" -INCLUDE=" <InstallDir> \Workout Creator_Workout Creator Pro.startup". This did not work
    3. I read one of Cals posts in the A5 forum and have tried this: "\"<InstallDir>\alpha5.exe\" \"<InstallDir>\Workout Creator.adb\" –INCLUDE=\" <InstallDir> \Workout Creator_Workout Creator Pro.startup\"". Did not work either.

I have tried several other variations of these three things and have had no success. Now when I run the install package Astrum creates it does not create the shortcuts at all.

Second question:

The user guide for Runtime Plus says this: If you write your own install program, you must register a5controls.dll and a5contexteval.dll during installation. If you have a Runtime+ edition, then you must also register all files matching ‘codejock*.ocx’. This reminds me of the Charlie Brown cartoons where the teacher says WHAA WHAA WHAA, WHAA WHAA. In other words….I have no idea what this means. I am GUESSING that in the Astrum install wizard I would set keys for these files under the registry section. I do not know where or what to type in when I click the Add Key Button. Any suggestions on this as well?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Tony

Re: Astrum Installer Questions

file for you. Unzip it to your app directory/folder and run it on the new machine. Of course change the files to the way you need them for your runtime.

Dave M
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Code:
      �<InstallDir>\alpha5.exe" "<InstallDir>\Workout Creator.adb" -INCLUDE=" <InstallDir> \Workout Creator_Workout Creator Pro.startup". This did not work
      3. I read one of Cals posts in the A5 forum and have tried this: "\"<InstallDir>\alpha5.exe\" \"<InstallDir>\Workout Creator.adb\" �INCLUDE=\" <InstallDir> \Workout Creator_Workout Creator Pro.startup\"".
      �<InstallDir>\alpha5.exe" would be the same folder as "<InstallDir>\Workout Creator.adb". Unless you have both app and exe in the same folder this won't work.

You can hard code everything(paths) into installmaker if needed, but remember to test it well as you should anything. See below.

Dave
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks again Dave. I do have the both the app and the alpha5.exe in the same folder.

I created an install package in A5V8 that placed both the runtime and the app files into the same folder. I then ran the A5 installer on my computer and installed the files to a folder on my desktop.

I used ALL files and folders that the A5 installed in this folder to populate the Astrum Installer Wizard.

I could not find anything is the A5 discussion board that covered the correct way to do this. Therefore I went on an under-educated guess.

This process placed the alpha5.exe file in the app folder.

I will look through your attachement this evening and see what I can learn.

Thanks again.
        T

Comment

Dave,
          I am finally back on the install issue. I have had other fires to deal with.

I have a couple questions. Your bat file contained:

regsrv32.exe c:\ups55\a5controls.dll
          regsrv32.exe c:\ups55\A5ContextEval.dll
          regsrv32.exe c:\ups55\SimpleChart4Lite.dll
          regsrv32.exe c:\ups55\Codejock.PropertyGrid.v9.81.ocx

I am assuming that ups55 is the directory where your ups55 app will be installed.

What happens if the installer installs your app into a different directory?

Since Astrum provides a feature to allow the installer to select a directory, will "hard coding" a direct path to theses dll and ocx files in your bat file potentially cause a problem if the installer does select a different directory for installation?

i found this in a post on the forum where you and some others were discussing this:

regsvr32.exe /s "c:\program files\your directory\a5controls.dll"
          regsvr32.exe /s "c:\program files\your directory\A5ContextEval.dll"
          regsvr32.exe /s "c:\program files\your directory\SimpleChart4Lite.dll"
          regsvr32.exe /s "c:\program files\your directory\Codejock.PropertyGrid.v9.81.ocx"
          regsvr32.exe /s "c:\program files\your directory\COdejock.SuiteCtrls.9700.ocx"

Once again, how can i be certian of where program files\your directory will be on the installers computer?

Thanks again for your help and anybody else who chimes in.
          Tony

Comment

Tony, you don't need batch files to register those dlls with Astrum.

In the "files to install" area, click on each of the files that needs to be registered then click the "Advanced" button and check the "Shared Component" and "Register Activex" boxes in the upper left. This is much easier than building and running a batch file. Besides, it will work in whatever directory the user decides to install to rather than requiring that it be installed in a specific directory.

Comment

Cal is correct and I should have suggested it.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Great guys. Thanks again.
                Tony

Comment

Working...
                X