Alpha Video Training

Thread: OK - I Give! Where's the "Double Click" Action?

Real Name
    Larry

Default OK - I Give! Where's the "Double Click" Action?

I'm admittedly a newb to A5 - not to programming, just A5. I'll also admit to having a tough time trying to understand the construct and protocol of A5 after you get past the straight-forward gens. I've been programming in various environments and OS's (mainframes, PC's and networks) for 30+ years and me and A5 are having a difficult time hitting it off. IMO A5 is one of the least intuitive development environments I've personally tried to use.

I've purchased the Level 1 Manual (which isn't telling me a whole lot that I didn't already know) but I am really trying to get a handle of this package. I've been developing some "play-with-it" applications and have encountered a new problem.

I SOMEWHERE found an action that I could Double-Click on a selected entry on a Browse Screen and the double-click would then allow me to then perform another function. I started over with the application and I've spent probably 2 - 3 hours trying to find the same double-click action and can't. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

I realize it's probably right in front of my eyes and so obvious I'm just missing it but I've tried everything I can think of and everywhere I know how to look (at least at this point).

I really WANT to like A5 and as soon as I can get over a couple humps I think I will but right now it's difficult.

Thanks for any help ...

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default Re: OK - I Give! Where's the "Double Click" Action?

Larry,

Put a browse object in a form layout. The browse object will have a onrowdblclk event.

Real Name
    Larry

That did it Tom - thanks so much! I knew it had to be simple I just ran out of places to to look to find it.

That's what I'm talking about when I say I'm having a hard time trying to understand A5 - seems like there's a bunch of little nooks and crannies where these little pearls of capability are hidden.

Thanks again ...

Real Name
    Dave Martens

Larry,

Since you're an experienced user of similar systems, you will probably get a lot more benefit out of Dr. Wayne's book (see Alpha online shop) than the Level 1 book.

The forum contains more discussion on the book and/or other training materials...

good luck
    Dave

Real Name
    Larry

Thanks Dave - I've been trying to find additional educational / training materials and there doesn't seem to be that much out there. I'll give your suggestion a look-see .....

Thanks so much for the input !!!

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by eaglebqh View Post
    That did it Tom - thanks so much! I knew it had to be simple I just ran out of places to to look to find it.

That's what I'm talking about when I say I'm having a hard time trying to understand A5 - seems like there's a bunch of little nooks and crannies where these little pearls of capability are hidden.

Thanks again ...
    Hi Larry,

Part of your problem could be: The easiest way to learn A5 is to perform a mental detachment from what you've learned in the past. Database normalization, etc. remains the same but if you try to solve a problem in A5 by thinking of how you did it in the past, you're in for a LONGER haul than necessary. I, along with many others, have been there, done that.

Hope this helps.

kenn

Real Name
    Larry

Kenn ...

You're right. I keep trying to "bend" A5 to make it work like some previous development environments -- old habits are hard to break !!

Thanks

Larry

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Kenn ...

You're right. I keep trying to "bend" A5 to make it work like some previous development environments -- old habits are hard to break !!

Thanks

Larry
    The way I did it was, every time I reverted back to the former, I'd tell myself, "No, this is Alpha. I'm going to do it Alpha's way or bust." Then, I'd bury myself in finding the answer. It didn't take long and the other (Access) was a faded memory.

I often posted a question. Just how many of those 5,431 entries are questions? I don't know either but suffice it to say, there were a bunch. When I finally felt comfortable enough to answer a question, "Oh what a feeling!"

kenn

Real Name
    Larry

I didn't think I'd have to bug you guys that have a lot of experience with A5 because I thought I'd pick up on a lot of the sublteties, "non-standard" or custom thingies pretty quickly ... I think I underestimated A5's learning curve.

It's obviously a powerful and flexible development tool - I think it's just going to take longer to get reasonably competent with the product than I was expecting.

Thanks again for the input and thought process ...

Larry

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

I didn't think I'd have to bug you guys that have a lot of experience with A5 because I thought I'd pick up on a lot of the sublteties, "non-standard" or custom thingies pretty quickly ... I think I underestimated A5's learning curve.

Larry
    Larry,

Don't be bashful about asking questions. That's the purpose of this board. There have been quite a number of seasoned database users who have been in your shoes. You'll do just fine.

kenn

Real Name
    Larry

Thnx for the encouragement and thoughts kenn ...