Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sorting records using indexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorting records using indexes

Three files: Master and two Work files.

I want the work files sorted according to certain conditions.

(a) Sort the workfile in ascending order.

(b) Sort the workfile in descending order.

The two work files have the same format as the Master. They are indexed on totals, one ascending, the other descending.

I zap the appropriate workfile, then append from the Master. In theory I would expect the workfile to hold all the records in ascending or descending order depending upon the option chosen. However this does not work all the time. During testing for example, if I clear out the workfile and run the append operation, the file reverts to the same order as the records on the Master File. If I then run the program which zaps the work file first then appends records from the Master File, the records are neither ascending or descending. I would have thought that since the workfiles are indexed on totals, the records should always follow this pattern. I have another form containing a browse on the workfile. If I use this to sort the records, then continue, everything is okay. All very confusing. Can anybody shed any light on it?

Thanks,

David

Re: Sorting records using indexes

An append operation doesn't have the option to specify the order in which records are appended. A copy operation does have the option to specify the order.

I would suggest that if you have the layouts, etc that you want for the work files, you could design copy operations to populate them specifying the order you want. You would specify the option to copy records only which would preserve your layouts.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks Stan,

I changed my approach and am now copying records specifying that the records should obey the field rules designated for the work file.

However, this not work.

Maybe I have not set the indexes properly.

Index Name = Totals

Order expression = Totals

Filter expression = nothing

Direction = Ascending

Include = nothing

David

Comment

Unable to decypher "this not work".

Using a copy operation overwrites the existing table insofar as the data and structure are concerned. Any field rules will be overwritten as well.

Field rules were not mentioned in your original post.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Sorry Stan,

Perhaps I am attacking the problem from the wrong angle. Both work files have been set up using indexes based on Totals. One is ascending, the other descending.

I was under the impression that by zapping the work file and appending new records, the new records would automatically be in the order of that table as designated by the indexes.

When I used the copy facility using action scription, I selected the option whereby the work file would keep its indexes. However, this was not the case and the records appeared in their original order.

Hope this is clearer.

David

Comment

Stan,

I should not have mentioned field rules. The only point of significance is the index. In actual fact, I am not using field rules.

You were unable to disipher "This not work". Missed a word didn't I. Should have read, "This does not work".

However, I am getting a better understanding and maybe the simplest solution is to sort the new file. Somehow.

David

Comment

I want the work files sorted according to certain conditions.

(a) Sort the workfile in ascending order.

(b) Sort the workfile in descending order.
              There is an action script element

Set Index, under Index/Sort

You get to specify the index.

If you set the index, the records will be in index order.
              There can be only one.

Comment

Many thanks Stan for taking the trouble to point me in the right direction. I have followed you last post and this does appear to do the trick. Interestly, I tried another solution under Form Properties. I had not investigated this before. On the form where I wish to display the records, under form properties I notice there is provision to select the order of records. I have now used this and it appears to give me what I want.

Both methods seem to work to I am that little bit wiser.

Thank again,

David

Comment

On the form where I wish to display the records, under form properties I notice there is provision to select the order of records. I have now used this and it appears to give me what I want.
                  You only have one choice that way which is fine. You probably still want to offer buttons to sort descending and then resort ascending.

When you get fancier you can code a single button to read the current index and put the other in effect - toggling with one button.
                  Last edited by Stan Mathews; 11-20-2007, 05:37 PM.
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks again Stan. Although the solution under form properties appears to work, it was comforting that you confirmed that this was one solution. At this time I have no need to use a toggle button but do understand the principles.

David

Comment

Working...
                    X