Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Evaluate_template Array not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Evaluate_template Array not working

Originally posted by csda1 View Post
    Indirection in a language can be tricky, and by taking it in steps, you can get a handle on it.
    Thanks Ira. I wish I had thought of that - breaking up the code into little pieces as you demonstrate. I will keep that technique in the back of my mind for the next time.

I will check out that other thread with Cal, as well.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

There are many ways to skin this proverbial cat, however, basic good rules to follow are...
      Hope this helps!
      That's a nice summary, Ira. Much appreciated.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter:
        The trouble everybody seemed to be having was with the array part, which I posted how to resolve it with eval() and which works just fine. The second part of incrementing the variable name, I wasn't sure what your intention there was, but the same idea applies. So anyone reading my post, could have applied the same logic to the second part as well. I don't mind people "stealing" ideas, it's not like I am loosing money or sleep over it, but please, don't insult my intelligence by telling me, I didn't read your post, no I read it, I didn't see your zip file, no I saw it...

If this was the first time, hey I won't bother, let it go. But it's a re-occuring pattern that I finally had to say something about. Just couple of days ago, same story, you could see it in this thread
        and what's worse, Tim was trying to make it look like I was trying to copy his script when I posted it in a zip file long before!

A while back I started a thread that everybody got annoyed with me because it seemed to drag for a long time about progressive lookup. No one came up with the answer. I finally posted it. Few months later, someone asked a question about progressive lookup, here comes Tim presenting my idea as if it was his! I idin't say anything waited and he had many chances to correct that, he didn't.. I still didn't say anything.. but when the pattern reoccured I just felt I should say something. Not to say that Tim does not have bright ideas of his own, but Where I come from, this is not a welcome behavior.

One funny thing about the board, it's an indelible record.

Comment

Sorry Gabe, but your answer didn't solve the problem that Peter was having. It may generate an answer, but not the desired answer. Your answer was essentially a similar formulation to Stan's 1st posted answer, taking out the portions that did not need to be in the eval(), but that didn't really matter.

The solution required 2 levels of indirection, no matter how it was performed. Tim was the 1st one in this thread to post a correct methodology, and solved the problem Peter had as well.

Tim, you get the candy cigar (real cigars are hazardous to your health;)) this time!
          Last edited by csda1; 11-22-2007, 10:41 AM.
          Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
          Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
          New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
          CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
          CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

...and my own little solution was developed independently even though posted well after Tim's (though this should come as no surprise to those who know how slowly I work!) :o

Comment

...and I am hugely thankful for the folks on this message board that provide foder and allowance for me to be the persitant and pervasive thief that I am (I'm with you Peter, all the way to the big house!)
              Mike W

Comment

real cigars are hazardous to your health;)
                Agreed, but can I substitute one of those beers Tom as talking about. (candy is not good for my teeth:))

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                ...and my own little solution was developed independently even though posted well after Tim's (though this should come as no surprise to those who know how slowly I work!) :o
                Surely, you jest.

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
                ...and I am hugely thankful for the folks on this message board that provide foder and allowance for me to be the persitant and pervasive thief that I am (I'm with you Peter, all the way to the big house!)
                I will let you and Peter share my cell.
                Tim Kiebert
                Eagle Creek Citrus
                A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Gabe,

Please try to take things less personally. I doubt seriously that Tim or Ira or anybody else here is 'stealing' your ideas. Just because you posted something in a separate thread, does not mean that they read that thread. I remember back in the beginning of personal web pages. A user would create a simple stick figure in their chosen graphics program and displayed it on their web page. Then somebody comes along and says, hey you stole my stick figure, I created that 2 years ago. Well, the 2nd newby never saw the first guys stick figure. He did not steal it, he actually created it on his own.

You should also not be bashing people if they do not read a particular post of yours and offer a solution. You yourself have admitted on more than one occasion that you are not reading entire posts and offering solutions.

We are not here to steal yours or anybody else ideas. We are here to offer assistance when we are able to. It is conceivably possible for more than one of us to come up with similar solutions simultaneously. Not only is this possible, but since we all read and interpret issues differently, it could be one or two simple words or phrases in the post that triggers the understanding of the poster to get their answer.
                  Cheryl
                  #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
                  http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Wow.. that's how you guys spend your Thanksgiving?

Cheryl:
                    I don't want this stupid thread to drag on, just please point me to where I said that I don't want people to steal ideas?

Makes it sound like my ideas are a rare find, one of a kind, Platinum, Gold plated treasures. It's all Mickey Mouse ideas for any one to steal.. go ahead have fun with it.. In fact I had one of those Mickey Mouse ideas for your latest thread (someone has asked a very simillar question a while back), but I am just so turned off right now with this garbage and instead of responding to a lot of threads, I added yet another group of people to my DNR list.

No, I don't read every reply in every thread.. particularly when people don't know how to say something in one sentence..but if I post a thead, I read each and every reply and respond to each one. It's only common courtsey to acknowledge those who took the time to respond. Those who make a pattern of not extending this courtsey, they also get added to the DNR list.

I don't want to keep repeating what I said, it does not seem to register anyway and people seem to read what they want to read, but the title of the thread is about arrays and the trouble everyone seemed to be having was with the first part. I addressed that and I also addressed the second part; however my question went un-answered..Can't help you if you don't clarify what you are asking.

I used to use arrays extensively, much less now, and I could make dancing queens out of arrays..once you understand arrays and how to use them, it becomes a very simple matter and you will use them all day long in lieu of many other methods..they are very poorly explained in the help file though.. there is a very simple way to explain them and I was about to post that in a thread "Understanding Arrays", but now that also sounds like a big waste for time..

Ira:
                    I don't know what is it with you? how could you possibly make a dumb statment like that? if the syntax does not make any difference, then what does?

Why do you always feel the urge to make these lunatic statments? Now, it might look to an outsider that I am constantly trying to beat on you, I am not. Each and every time IT IS YOU who starts these meaningless idle arguments and it does not matter how many times I try to avoid engaging in these arguments, it seems that you insist on engaging me. You have posted several replies in this thread and there were many errors in them, but I didn't want to engage in any debates with you so I didn't resopnd. But, it seems like you just can't live without provoking me to beat on you and then cry foul when I finally do.

And finally, to the jailbirds, since you have a lot of time at hand and what else jailbirds have but time, maybe you could help me out with this question:

Running a race, Jack overtook the second person.
                    What position is Jack in?
                    Last edited by G Gabriel; 11-23-2007, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X