Alpha Video Training

Thread: QODBC

Real Name
    Dean Buccheri

Default QODBC

Hello,

I've read many posts on this subject, and I apologize if any of it is redundant. I'm trying to import invoices using QODBC, there seems to be a lot of talented people out there making great suggestions in other posts that are way over my head.

QODBC works fine for me for updating passive link tables. I've been using a third part application for importing invoices that worked fine until it started generating errors. Getting technical support from that vendor will cost more than purchasing a new importing utility from another vendor. Before I do that, I would like to eliminate that step and have the import (export from a5 to Qb) happen right in A5. What I have now is a file consisting of the following fields CUSTOMER,INV,ARACCOUNTREF,TXNDATE,PONUMBER,ENTERBY,UNIT,SERVICEDATE,DELIERVY,MEMO,ISTOBEPRINTED,ITEM,QTY,TECH,WONUM,BIN,TAG,ORDERBY,SERIALNO,SEQ,

Some of field names are custom fields in qb. The last field doesn't get imported. It is just for sorting. There is a seperate line in the file for each line item for the invoice and there are multiple invoices in the file. Header information repeats it self for multiple line items on the same invoice.

The most important thing that the utility I have now did before it quit working was that it automatically filled in the invoice number with the next available invoice as well as any missing information such as addresses telephone numbers from the QB file.

Does anybody know of or has anybody done this that can provide step by step instructions? Or, is there a utility that will get the ball moving and allow you do do this using QODBC and A5 without having to run an external utility as I do now.

Keep in mind that although I build the application to run my business, I am not a programmer, so simple is better :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default Re: QODBC

Dean

Here is a link from a recent thread that answers most of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    The most important thing that the utility I have now did before it quit working was that it automatically filled in the invoice number with the next available invoice as well as any missing information such as addresses telephone numbers from the QB file.
    As noted in the attached link, you are adding data to a table in QB, but really telling the QB program to use that data and fill in the fields on the invoice form. So you should think like you are filling out the QB form with your keyboard and the invoice number and customer information is automatically filled in.

How many line items/invoices are you adding at a time?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Dean Buccheri

Thanks for the reply. I actually already reviewed that post. It is indeed apparently that the capability is there to do what I want, but unfortunately that stuff is way over my head. I need something like "importing for dummies" to get me started.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I actually already reviewed that post. It is indeed apparently that the capability is there to do what I want, but unfortunately that stuff is way over my head. I need something like "importing for dummies" to get me started.
    It's always a question of time and money. Time to learn it yourself, or money to have someone do it for you.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Dean Buccheri

Point Taken. I have invested an enormous amount of time in this application, but there just isn't enough good documentation on this subject to learn it myself in the time I have to commit at this point. I would love to find somebody that could either walk me through it step by step or do it for me for a reasonable price.