Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

FileMaker Container Field Drag-and-Drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FileMaker Container Field Drag-and-Drop

One of the attractions that FileMaker had (before I saw the Alpha Five interface) is its relatively new capability for a user to drag-and-drop data into/out of Container fields ... allowing escape from the free-for-all world of FTP directories, etc.

Can this be done in Alpha Five?

Re: FileMaker Container Field Drag-and-Drop

Nope, has been added to the wishlist I believe.

Scroll down to find links to Similar Threads.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks ... it would be so incredibly useful.

Comment

Only if you are accustomed to the functionality. I've used Alpha since V3 and have never had occasion to miss it.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

I guess it must be a matter of preference then as I will miss it whenever I want to move a machine from one company to another with the basic drag and drop procedure my OLD software uses--With Alpha I will now have to first uninstall the machine from one company, find and select the same machine and install it to a different company...a several stepped process instead of a single step.

My point is that I think there are definite cases in which drag and drop functionality can be very beneficial to a program not only in time savings but also for ease of use for a user.

But seeing as how this particular function has been on a wishlist for several years now, maybe I and the few others who have spoken up are in a minority regarding this. That definitely would explain why Alpha has not even mentioned this function or responded much to the requests made ...any request it seems that most people have wanted overall, Alpha really tries to give.

A final point...although many users may not even use the drag and drop function it seems like most feel that it should be present in any "modern" piece of software. Just the thoughts I have received from many people I know regrading software.
          Mike

Comment

Gosh,
            It seems to me that you could select a field and direct the record information to be copied to another record without a tremenous amount of trouble with Xbasic, unless I am totally missing the point.
            Mike W

Comment

Hi Mike,

Yep! That certainly could be done for many cases and drag and drop certainly would not be of much benefit in such a case I agree.

The scenario I was referring to using my own application as an example is a bit more complicated than that. A very generic description would be this:

Companies have one or more Machines assigned to them. A chosen Machine would have to be first "uninstalled" from the Company it currently resides at...then assigned to a different Company.

A browse with all the companies that have Machines assigned and also those that are Unassigned as well. Another browse that listed all the Machines that were available. Focus on the Company record that you wanted to "move" a Machine assignment to and set a variable to the ID linking field that will be placed in a Machine record --which would have to gain focus in order to choose it. And after this the xbasic behind the scenes could do all the record changes.

So yes it could be done I guess without too much problem---but to make it as user friendly as drag and drop I don't think so. Maybe someone has done this and has made it intuitive for users but do not see how without having to train them in the steps necessary--and maybe it would not be so bad either....I would have to see an example I guess to make a more informed decision at this point.

:) examples anyone??? :)
              Mike

Comment

Mike,
                I hear you that click, drag, drop, would be sweet. That would, in my mind, be moving an entire record from one table to another. Gosh I don't know how that could be accomplished outside there being absolutely identical table fields between the two tables. I must be too into a box to capture this.
                Mike W

Comment

Hi Mike,

In my case it would not be creating a new record, but changing just one field in a different table's record that is used to link that object (term used loosely) to the first table's record. When I think of Drag and Drop I tend to see it as an easy method of Copy/Cut and Paste....it does not add a record but changes a field in a "linked" record or changes where it is found/located (within a folder structure say).

I know you know this but saying this "out loud" helps me determine how I actually think of it! :)

BTW---you having a bit of insomnia last night??? I thought I stayed up late at times! Considering that I went to bed about 2am Central time, you being on Eastern makes it...after 3:30am ! Either that or you are an awfuly early riser! :)
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X