Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Unknown error shuts down WAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown error shuts down WAS

Anyone know what is causing this:

ALPHA UNRECOVERABLE ERROR
    Unhandled Exception (Access Violation - The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access).
    Alpha5 will do a forced termination.

Thanks...Gary

Re: Unknown error shuts down WAS

Hi Gary,

This sounds like a permissions issue. What is the code you are using and in what context? Is there any way we can duplicate your steps in order to try and find a resolution for you?
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Thanks Cheryl...
      Can't duplicate because I don't know what happened at the time of the error. I have multiple applications running on the WAS and hundreds of actions being performed each day. This happened in the early morning hours and I don't know which application was involved. It has never happened before, but the installation on the server and the applications on that server are only a couple of months old. Wish I had better information for you.

Had hoped it was a recognizable error message.

Gary

Comment

Sorry Gary, I have not witnessed that error so cannot be of further assistance without being able to duplicate it. Perhaps somebody else has experienced the error and will be able to help you. Good luck :)
        Cheryl
        #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
        http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

This error has appeared again today 2/5/08 and has not done so in quite some time. This application is processing thousands of requests per week that are all using the same read/write requests as far as I know.

Any other ideas on why this would appear all of a sudden and shut down the A5 WAS application? I cannot duplicate this so cannot provide much else but the error message.

Gary

Comment

We were getting this, and I believe it was caused by a memory leak situation (which still exists). I am using AlwaysUP to monitor the memory usage and restart Alpha when the usage gets too high.

Comment

I am also using Always Up, but for some reason, with this termination AU did not restart. Acutally when I looked at the server, AU showed that A5 was running (green light) and the A5WAS green icon was showing in the lower right corner. When I cleared the error by pressing OK on the error window, it rebooted A5WAS and there were two green icons in the lower right corner, until the WAS rebooted and then there was only one again.

Comment

Yes. I'm seeing the same thing. I'd say it come in one of the most recent patchs.
                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

As far as AlwaysUp goes, it would depend on how you set it to monitor. I basically have it set to reboot after a certain amount of memory usage or if it fails the Connect to Socket check for port 443.

I know for sure that my checks do not capture the other error "Printer not Activated" that I am getting. I think it would require a script that checks to see if pages are being served, not just if the server is responding on the port.

Also, it may just be coincidence but I never had the "Unhandled Exception", "Printer not Activated" error, or memory leak until after we switched to SSL.

Comment

My application is on an SSL also. With the random nature of this error it's really tough to know how to fix. I don't write scripts so would not know how to do that. Did your Always UP restart WAS with your setup designed to monitor memory useage? Again this morning, same error dialogue popup and AU did not restart. Very frustrating! Customers not happy!

Comment

Gary - I agree that this is very hard to troubleshoot or predict. I have been monitoring my Alpha logs and event viewer logs on the server, and I can't find anything that looks like the cause.

I have been able to cut down the frequency of the error by setting AlwaysUp to restart Alpha when the memory usage hits 500MB (about 2 restarts each business day). When I do get the "Unhandled Exception" it does stop the WAS cold, and AlwaysUp does not know to restart it.

I am planning on writing a small .exe in Visual Basic that can check if something on a page can be read, and using that as the Sanity Check in AlwaysUp. It is not something I can get started on right away, but when I do finish it, I can share it with you if you are still having the issue.

Of course I would much rather stop the memory leak and "Unhandled Exceptions" from happening in the first place, but I have a feeling it is going to take a while to find the cause.

Comment

Thanks. I will try the 500 mb restart to see what happens. I have also set the restart to do so if the app hangs for more than 2 minutes. It only happens a couple of times in a week, but causes a real problem when it happens. A restart at 500 would at least shorten the time that it's down.

Gary

Comment

Over the past couple of months I have run the Always Up with the 500 meg memory restart parameter. It restarts about 4-5 times per week based on usage. As long as I have AU on with this parameter, I do not get a system hang or error message that stops the application.

On a number of ocassions I have turned off the parameter and the hang/error returns. I am convinced that this "leakage" must be the problem. What I don't know is if it's due to the overall action of the software or something that might not be in the application that flushes the memory.

Is there some coding that can be in an application that flushes the memory at specific points or am I stuck with having AU restarting (and when someone is filling out the application online they have to restart)?

Thanks - Gary

Comment

You should report this as a bug, Selwyn ot Lenny need to know your finding to tracj it down. It just should not happen, for what ever reason.
                            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                            Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                            US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

I still have the problem as well, but have been able to negate the effects with these Always Up settings:
                              I increased the max memory usage to 1200MB and I set the service to restart every morning at 5AM. I pretty much make it through every business day without hitting the 1200MB mark, so usually the only interruption is at 5AM when nobody is using the system.

Comment

Working...
                              X