Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Unknown error shuts down WAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unknown error shuts down WAS

To my knowledge it has not been resolved. The only way that I have been able to control the problem is to run Always Up and to have it restart the WAS server every night. While it has not solved the problem 100%, it at least has reduced it by 99%.

Comment

I had to stop using two of my PC's as Alpha was closing after updating just one or two records. However, I recently updated my Windows XP to Service Pack 3 (via the MS critical updates site) and now I can update approximately 10 - 20 records before the problem occurs.

I also noticed that I have two errors in my trace window. I am currently trying to eradicate these.

As I have said before, it is hard to comprehend as three of my PC's only experience the problem about once a month.

Kind regards

Larry Gordon

Comment

I have been informed by Alpha that the memory leak has been solved in Version 9.

Gary

Comment

I am running V9 build 1600-3196, so this particular problem is still very much alive. So far I have changed and increased the RAM in the offending PC's - one of which is brand new out of the box and still falls over. I have had my network and PC's checked independantly. My next plan is to get an Alphaholic to visit and take a look at my application.

I have yet to establish if its Alpha, my network or my PC's. My suspicions are that it is very much Alpha related as nothing else mis-behaves on any of the PC's.

Larry

Comment

I am also using V9 and still have the same memory leak that I had under V8.

Comment

In Version 8, the Application Server in my sites (i'm tracking 5 of them) would start out about 70, and when they got to about 250, the site would slow down.

Now under Version 9, they start out about 50 and I've never seen them about 90.

Whatever my problem was, it has been solved.

At one time when I was having problems, I discovered in one of my scripts that I was opening a table and never closing it.

Pat
              Pat Bremkamp
              MindKicks Consulting

Comment

I see this issue has been fixed (or at least somewhat fixed) in V9. Has it also been fixed in V8?
                Eric

Alpha Five Websites
                longlivepuppies.com
                socialservicenetwork.com
                -------------------------------------------------
                socialservicenetwork.org

Comment

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to add what happened to me yesterday when I received this message.

Access Violation - thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address - doesn't have appropriate access. A5 will do a forced termination.

I was working on an index.a5w page, specifically inserting a horizontal nav system at the top. Once inserted I decided to stretch/expand downward the table holding the nav system. I then inserted another table just below this main table to hold the copyright information. I did not get it stretched enough so I started stretching it more. On the next stretch I got the error message and when I clicked the OK Alpha shut down completely.

I tried multiple times to go back and edit the index.a5w page but to no avail. I got the message sometimes or it just shut down with no message. There was no predictability as to which was going to happen.

Finally I deleted the index.a5w page and rebuilt it, this time not inserting the nav system in its own layout table but rather in an already existing table's row.

I am not sure if this is a memory leak or not but it did generate the error message and the shut down of the Alpha system. The memory showing on my system resources (1.5 GB is what I purchased and seem to have) has continually held steady at 275MB - 285 MB used for all running "stuff", including WAS V8.

Anyway, this is just an FYI as to my occurrance, not a request for assistance.

Comment

I really need help. This is the first time time I've ever got this message. It has shut me down completely. It won't let me in at all. Is there any cure or anything at all.

Comment

The only suggestion I can make is to think back to the process/action you were completing when it happened and try to put your self back to just before tha moment. That is what I did. I had to delete and rebuild a web component. As I said above it was something I must have done in building the component (I was building on the server versus local, by the way). I have not had a problem since.

Comment

Thank you for your help but here is what I did and maybe it will help someone else. I make multiple daily back ups. I took all the dbf files and copied them to the prior days back then did a re-index and it all came back. I'm don't profess to be a programmer like many on this forum. My office staff was doing the normal work they always do when the error came. Nothing out of the norm happened. Thanks again.

Comment

good that it is working now. perhaps one or more files got corrupted in publishing. If it is not recurring and you do have backups all should be well.

Comment

Just had a client receive this error again. I am not in a web application - just a desktop app, and all clients experience this error from time to time.. if it is a memory leak, has it been fixed? i have the latest patches downloaded?

Don't know what to do here, any suggestions would be great

Comment

Working...
                            X