Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Network Optimize changing permissions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Network Optimize changing permissions?

Thiaz,

It almost sounds like you are running the network optimize from within the runtime on the workstation? If so, you only need to run the network optimize one time on the server itself, not on each work station.
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Thiaz,

You only run the optimize once. You need to create the shadows on each workstation.

From the docs:

Configuring Network Optimization
      1. Install the Alpha Five application on your server.
      2. Make sure you can access the server from your workstations. (This sounds obvious it's amazing how many times this is an issue.)
      3. Load the Alpha Five runtime or full version (whichever you plan to use) on your workstations.
      4. Start Alpha Five on your workstation.
      5. From the Alpha Five menu select File > Open Database... and navigate to your application on the server and open it. (Allow additional time for it to open over your network. I've seen this take almost 5 minutes on some real slow networks.)
      6. Select Tools > Network Optimize... to display the Network Optimization dialog.
      1. On the Basic tab, optionally click Specify Additional Files to specify other files such as image or help files that are part of your database. For example, a form in your application might use a bitmap file as a background image. If this image is not part of the database (i.e. does not show up in any of the tabs on the Control Panel ), then you need to specify it on the Additional Files dialog.
        1. Click Select.
        2. Navigate to and select the file.
        3. Click Open.
        4. Repeat steps 7a to 7c for each additional file to include.
      2. Click OK to continue or Cancel to discard your inputs.
      1. Click Create Shadow Database to create a Shadow Database.
      2. On the Options tab, assign an initial version number to the Master Database. You will increment this number each time you want to enable a database refresh.
      3. Specify rules for refreshing the Shadow Database when it does not match the Master database. When a user opens a Shadow Database, Alpha Five automatically checks the version number associated with the Shadow Database and compares it with the Master Database's current version number. If the Shadow Database is out of date, Alpha Five can warn the user, or it can automatically refresh the Shadow Database, depending on the rule you set. The options are:
        • Do nothing - allow the user to open the Shadow Database
        • Warn the user, but not require them to refresh the Shadow Database - Alpha Five will display a dialog when the user opens an out-of-date shadow database, but will allow the user to proceed without first refreshing the shadow database.
        • Automatically refresh the Shadow Database - Alpha Five will automatically update the shadow database if it is out-of-date.
      4. Make a selection from When checking Version Number. By selecting the "Integer Portion Only" option, you can make incremental changes on the master copy of the database without forcing the shadow database to be updated. You can keep track of these incremental changes by assigning fractional version numbers. E.g. version 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc. Only when the integer portion of the version number is changed (e.g. from 1.3 to 2.0) will the shadow database be refreshed. See also A5_SetAppVersionNumber() and A5_GetAppVersionNumber(). The options are:
        • Entire version number
        • Integer portion only
      5. Click Set to apply.
      1. Wait for the optimize to complete. After it has completed and the application reloads, you can shut it down and set up your desktop icon. (You can also set it up ahead of time if you wish but the folders may not exist yet.). The icon should be formatted like this:
      <path to alpha5.exe>\alpha5.exe <path to alpha5.exe>\Shadow\<adb_name>\<adb_name>.adb <any startup options you choose>

Comment

I personally dont think it wise to put your runtime app in a folder on the desktop. Try making a folder for it on your c: drive off your root.

Dave
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave is quite right. You do not want the folder quite that accessable to everyone.

Also look at what Doug has given you above.

Ed

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance, I must have misinterpreted the documentation. On Step #2, it says to make sure A57 can be loaded from the workstations, then step #3 says to load A57 on the workstations, and then step #5 & #6 say to run Network Optimize (with the instructions). I read that as performing those steps from the workstation itself, since the only step that references the server is step #1.

Here's what I've done from your recommendations above:

- Went to the server, ran network optimize
            - Put files in a folder, copied said folder down to workstations' HD (in the root C: folder)
            - Opened A57, then pointed it to open the .adb in the folder on the local HD
            - Still getting permission errors (You are not allowed - same message)

However, one thing to note: I could always login as myself on the shadow copy. So, this time I tried one of the other admin logs, and it works fine as well. So it looks like anyone with Administrative rights to the DB can get in just fine, and this problem is only affecting users (even though they have Run permissions to the form it's telling them don't have access to run.)

Comment

Thiazi,

Perhaps the problem is in the permissions in the login script itself. The users may need to have admin permissions setup for that particular script/form? And run permissions with everything else? Or there is something in the script that is blocking them? I doubt any of this is the cause.

Part of me still thinks the way you are setting up the shadow databases is causing the problems. I only think this way because you say the users can login fine if they connect directly to the server, but not if they are connecting via the shadow copy on their work stations. This leads me to the way the shadow is actually being created.

You mention copying files from the server into a folder and then pasting them into the folder in the local work station. I have never done it this way so I cannot say if it will work or not. I have always created a blank db on the work station that runs an autoexec which basically prompts the user on the work station to navigate to the file server and select the db to open. This process then gets whatever files it needs and copies them to the local work station.

It is possible the way you are doing it, you are not retrieving all of the necessary files that need to be on the local work station in order for the db to operate correctly.
              Cheryl
              #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl Lemire View Post
                Thiazi,

Perhaps the problem is in the permissions in the login script itself. The users may need to have admin permissions setup for that particular script/form? And run permissions with everything else? Or there is something in the script that is blocking them? I doubt any of this is the cause.

Part of me still thinks the way you are setting up the shadow databases is causing the problems. I only think this way because you say the users can login fine if they connect directly to the server, but not if they are connecting via the shadow copy on their work stations. This leads me to the way the shadow is actually being created.

You mention copying files from the server into a folder and then pasting them into the folder in the local work station. I have never done it this way so I cannot say if it will work or not. I have always created a blank db on the work station that runs an autoexec which basically prompts the user on the work station to navigate to the file server and select the db to open. This process then gets whatever files it needs and copies them to the local work station.

It is possible the way you are doing it, you are not retrieving all of the necessary files that need to be on the local work station in order for the db to operate correctly.
                Thiazi,
                Did you try rebuilding the indexes on the tables/dbf files.
                Last edited by Kanaka; 12-10-2007, 02:53 PM. Reason: comments

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl Lemire View Post
                  Thiazi,

Cheryl,

I do remember trying your autoexec late last week on a blank db I had created in the dev edition of A57, then copied this blank DB down to a workstation to run. Is that how you do it? I've noticed that since I only have the Runtime on the workstations, I cannot create a blank DB. I assume you're creating yours at the server (or where you have the developer edition installed) and copying the blank DB down to each workstation to run. I'll be happy to try this again if that is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanaka View Post
                    Thiazi,
                    Did you try rebuilding the indexes on the tables/dbf files.
                    Trying that now.

Comment

Thiazi,

Yes, I create the blank db where my full version of Alpha resides. When creating the new db, it MUST be the same name as your existing working db. There are no tables/sets, etc. The only file is an autoexec script with code similar to what was in the help files.

You do not need to network optimize anymore, you have done this a million times already. Unless you have turned off the network optimize in the working db. If it is turned off, reset it.

I would uninstall any db copies you have already made on a local work station. Do not uninstall the runtime on the work station.

Copy the empty db you created that has only the autoexec file in it, which is the exact same name as your working db to where you want the files on the work station. As recommended by others, place it somewhere in the root drive and not on the desktop. The files you are copying are the .alb, .alx, .alm, and .adb.

Once these four files are in the folder you want them to reside on the local work station, load the alpha runtime, select open db, navigate to the .adb file you placed in a folder on the local work station. You are doing all of this from the work station.

When this db opens, you will be prompted to navigate to the db you want, this is where you navigate to your file server and locate your working db. When the working db loads from the file server, I imagine based on what you are explaining, you will get a login screen. Login as one of your users. With any luck, it will work without a permission error.

Once the db has loaded, create your shortcut to point to the .adb file in the folder on the local work station.

Let us know how it goes, I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you :)
                      Cheryl
                      #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Cheryl,

I followed your instructions exactly, creating the folder in the root directory, and I'm still getting the error message. :( Here is a screenshot of exactly what the error message looks like, then once you click OK, the second message that pops up:

I'm not sure if that will shed light on this or not, hopefully it will.

Comment

Thiazi,

OK, if you followed my steps exactly, then I think the 'permissions' problem might be with the runtime install on the local work station ... when you installed the runtime on the local work station, did you give the 'runtime program' admin rights?
                          Cheryl
                          #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Thiazi,

Couple of things come to mind when I see your image:
                            1) What does it say when you push the Why button when you get the error.
                            2) It looks like the error message is coming from Alpha itself. Are you using Alpha's security? If so, have a look at the following:

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...ermissions.htm

Comment

I misspoke, I apologize. The second message (where it displays information about not having access to Run form Startup) is the box that appears when you click Why?

If you click OK in the first box (Permission Denied with OK and Why? buttons), it will just reappear again.

Yes, I am using Alpha5's built-in security and the error is coming from Alpha5.

Cheryl, I have local administrator rights on all the workstations, and the users do as well. Is there anything special to note when installing the Runtime in relation to installing it as an administrator, other than being logged in with administrator rights at the time of installation?

An observation I've made, since it's using Alpha5's built-in security, it almost seems as though when it makes the shadow copy down to the local HD, only the Administrators group is being copied (or at least permitted access) and all other groups are being denied. Seems obvious, which it is, but why shadowing the DB lock out the rest of the Alpha5 security groups (other than the admin group) is strange.

Doug, I followed through the link you provided, and went back to check permissions on the objects, forms, reports, queries, etc. and the particular users group quite literally has access to everything (with the exception of adding/removing users.)

I also checked the start-up script (permission-wise, the group has access to run), and the only action it's performing is open the form Startup_Screen, which the group also has access to run.

Comment

Hi Thiazi,

Sorry, but I am out of ideas :( Hopefully others will be able to offer additional things for you to look at.
                                Cheryl
                                #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Working...
                                X