Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A new variable scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A new variable scope

It sure sounds like a schizophrenic exercise in dichotomy, doesn't it?
    Not really......but maybe the allusion would be better using Multiple Personality Disorder??? Then I would agree. Unless you did intend to allude that it was some sort of psychotic dichotomy. Picky, Picky I know---but G you were part of a thread in which I stated that the two words on my "Pet Peeve" list were "ain't" and "schizophrenia" ! :D

Now--I got that out of my system! :)

How about your imaginative answer that all have been hoping to hear (this time Please don't disappoint us by NOT letting us know.) ???? Always enjoy your somewhat sideways twist on things...many times being just so simplistic that others skim over without even seeing them.
    Mike

Comment

Andrew:
      Originally posted by Tbaker View Post
      Gabe:

You now have me really confusedwith your last post.

I read some excellent suggestions in this post about where and how to store variables.

Are you still saying "the answer is yes or is the answer no"

Tom
      I am no John Kerry nor Mit Romney... nor what's his face?
      The answer is still yes. No flip flopping here..

Mike:
      Unless you did intend to allude that it was some sort of psychotic dichotomy. Picky, Picky I know---but G you were part of a thread in which I stated that the two words on my "Pet Peeve" list were "ain't" and "schizophrenia" !
      Well, ain't schizophrenia a psychotic dichotomy?

Comment

OK.. here is how it works..

I am not going to touch the variables or save them anywhere. Leave them alone. Let variables be variables. You create them when you need them, use them and then they die. That's their life cycle and that's why they are what they are, variables. So, what are we going to do?

Well, how do variables come to being?
        With the exception of layout variables, the scope of which is so limited it is not worth including here anyway; variables are created when you dimension them, implicitly or explicitly, by a script (or a function).

When a bullet leaves the barrel of a gun, it takes the imprints of the barrel. That's how they identify bullets in ballistics. So, if you want to change the ridges on a bullet, you could grab a bullet and scratch some ridges on it, OR, you could change the ridges in the barrel. We will leave the bullet (the variable) alone; we will change the barrel (the script).

Instead of saving the variable, we will alter (update) the script that creates it, and hence the variable. Normally, a variable gets created, gets assigned a value per your script and if you exit alpha, the variable along with it's assigned value will be wiped out. But, what we will do differently here is, before existing alpaha, we will change the script to have the newly assigned value as the base value for the variable, so when you reboot, the variable gets created again but now it will start from where you left off last time you exited.

To illustrate, say you have a primitive script that says:
        dim x as n
        x=1

If you run the script, x will be created and gets assigned the value of 1. If somewhere down the script x gets assigned a new value, say 5 and then you exit alpha then reboot and run the script, it starts allover again with a value of 1.

What we will do differently here is, before exiting alpha (or any time during the session) we will alter the script to make it say:
        dim x as n
        x=5
        Next time you reboot and run the script, it gets reborn again but now it grew up to a value of 5 instead of 1.

What is the practical application of this? Quite a bit and quite significant.
        I will get to that later, gotta go for now but it is not hard to imagine what you could do with that.

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
          it is not hard to imagine what you could do with that.
          Very true, but also seems like a lot of effort for saving a variable for use after a reboot. What is the reward for all the effort put forth to change a script? Why should I use this method over say a text file, registry, or a table?

Ira-
          In general, do not write to the Data dictionaries and Adb files as these are really for development, not dynamic usage.
          Isn't modifying the script to store the new updated variable along the same lines as modifying the data dictionaries?
          Andrew

Comment

Sounds like an old batch file technique. Generic batch files were quite "dumb" but it would work in a pinch. Alpha is a lot "smarter" and I am not sure why one would want to do this. Hopefully you will reveal your answer.

Frankly, I am more inclined to agree with you about what is and is not a variable. If it needs to be saved for later use, it really is not a variable and should not be treated as such. What happens if your machine locks up on you after your "variable" has been updated but not written anywhere?

For my taste, I hate things being stored in the registry, have written date to files like the old ini files, but prefer the stability and portability of keeping stored data in a defined table.

Comment

Andrew/Doug:
              I am not sure why you think it's a lot of effort. Perhaps you read what I said to mean that I am going to alter the script manually. Not at all. Altering the script will be done dynamically as a part of whatever script you use.

Perhaps the best way to show how that works is with an exapmle. Let's take a very simple one. In a recent thread someone asked: I want to allow test users to enter a limited number of records in a table on a trial basis. The conventional response would be to identify the user, count the number of records created by the user then prohibit entery if that number is reached.

Here instead, I will write a script that identify the user, each time the user enters a record, the script increments the variable and once the user reachs the upper limit, s/he will be prohibited from entering new records, if not, upon exit I would update that script once with the new value of that global variable so when s/he reloads alpha, s/he starts from that number.

A more broad and much more useful application: autoincrement.
              If you do your own autoincrement and there will be many circumcetances where you need to, traditionally you would query the table for the highest value and then increment it. Here instead, I will have a global variable holding the count number, every time you enter a new record, the global variable gets incremented. Now we are talking about a speed demon. You don't have to query the table (with all the imedements associated with that) at all, it's all readly available in a variable that is stored in the cache. When you are done and ready to exit your program, you just update the script to the latest variable numer.

Even yet a more broader application and much more useful:
              Suppose you want that autoincrement value to come from several tables? now instead of querring all these tables, you only get your value from the global variable and when done, alter the script once upon exit.

Even yet, what if you want to autoincrement on a network and want to have unique but sequential vlaues?
              Last edited by G Gabriel; 12-11-2007, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Although this method works, I don't think it would work in a multiuser environment. The text file, registry or database seems to be a beter option.
                Dave

Comment

Sounds, good.
                  Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
                  ---- Confusius ----

Comment

David:
                    I can't comment on whether it will or wll not work in a multi-user enviroment as I am not sure if a script saved, say as a single script in the code tab, can or cannot be seen and run by remote users. If it can, then it could be used in a multi-users enviroment and would be a great alternative to what has been suggested in the past relative to that subject.

Comment

David:
                      ... would be a great alternative to what has been suggested in the past relative to that subject.
                      Could you please expand on why it would be a 'great' alternative?
                      "all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

Mike

Comment

What has been suggested in the past, and I just read that article by Dr Peter Wayne couple of days ago, is to create yet another table to hold the value for the autoincrem field, lock and obtain the value from that table and update the table each time a user on the network enters a new record.

On the other hand, if you are able to see and run the script remotely and have that value in a variable in the cache not in a table, you can increment the script and hence the variable, add your record without locking any tables or worrying about duplicate values.

There could be the case where two users are trying to update the script at the exact same nano-second, the odds of which are less than being hit by lightening, but yet is possible. I am sure I could add some safeguards there, but I haven't gone that far as I am not sure if it will work on a network in the first place.

Comment

G,
                          First off, I didn't say that it would require more work, just that I didn't necessarily like the idea. If you are going to change the script, then you obviously have to read and write the file. And it better get locked if in a multi-user scenario. Even in the old batch file technique I referenced above, in a multi-user setup, we still had to provide away to lock out other users if one was doing this process. So are there some kind of tremendous time savings?

Comment

There could be the case where two users are trying to update the script at the exact same nano-second, the odds of which are less than being hit by lightening, but yet is possible.
                            One word answer -

Murphy

Murphy didn't event computers, but he certainly declared his laws with computers in mind.

I have client's systems with only 2 users and they manage to produce that type of collision and therefore data integrity issues follow. Unfortunately it takes only a few data integrity issues to drop user confidence.

Dynamically changing a script is a tool that has it's place, but not as a multi-user file system replacement.
                            Al Buchholz
                            Bookwood Systems, LTD
                            Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                            Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                            "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                            Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Doug:
                              Just using the autoincrement exapmle: If you want to query your table for the highest value and let's say you have a large table, you could perhaps use tablemax() which is a lousy function. Or, you could use dbmax(). While this is a much better function, yet it does not come cheap, you have to have an index and that index gets updated upon each edit, and if you are lucky, it won't get corrupted or dropped. That's a whole lot of overhead, trouble and vulnerability when you could simply have your value in a global variable and no, you don't need to update the script each time you enter a recod (contrary to the traditional method where have to query the table each time you enter a new record using tablemax or dbamx), you only have to update the script once upon exit.
                              Last edited by G Gabriel; 12-11-2007, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Al:
                                Just as you would put safeguards (by locking the table) I suppose I could lock the script. Again, I haven't investigated that yet, but that's not the only usage for this idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X