Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple Domains pointing to home server A5v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Domains pointing to home server A5v8

[this topic is new to me]

I have a home server [win2000] that I want to set up as a SSL, I read some of the other posts about SSL's, some of it is Greek. But my questions are:

Can I have multiple domains at my home server? with an SSL?

Do I need an SSL for each domain?

If they all point to port 443, won't this present a problem?

I'm using a cable connection through Verizon FIOS, it's not dedicated but the IP hasn't changed in 6mos.

I have Alpha5v8 Webserver with my databases

I have 2 and possibly one more domain that I would like to point to my server.

I guess the cheap easy way is to create one domain that they will all be pointed to ie https://verysafeSSL.com

and then have each SSL page as an extesion off this domain?

When I'm on the web, I always look at the url when I get forwarded to an SSL. I look for substantual changes in the domain.

Since I have 1 home server and 2 possibly 3 domains, what should I do?

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Multiple Domains pointing to home server A5v8

You need to do a little reading of the win2k help file great source of info

ssl is no problem what web server are you using? iis or apache

alpha web server is it's own system If I understand you what you want to do
    is pretty easy

1. a ssl cert belongs to the domain who purchased it

yourdomain.com cert is different than www.yourdomain.com or data.yourdomain.com you can get a "wildcard" cert for yourdomain.com that will cover them all but not such as mydomain.com and yourdomain.com or hisdomain.com It must be the same domain name or you need a cert for each domain name

yourdomain.com/data
    yourdomain.com/customer and such fall under the same domain

yourdomain.com

The other part of your question is handled by your dns - domain name server setup it is very simple to have domain1.com or domain2.com point to the same server

If you are using the same data for all domains you only need the ssl on the web app server If you are sending each domain name to different data location you will need their own ssl cert and your setup will be more work

For example for separate locations-----------------
    https://yourdomain.com will use 443 then point to a5w port 443
    https://mydomain.com will use 444 then point to a5w 444

Example two
    https://yourdomain.com will just point to a5w server and use it's ssl cert
    https://mydomain.com will just point to the same a5w server then again using the alpha server cert

I would need more detail to give you the exact setup you are needing

Greg

Comment

About multiple apps on one server - one Alpha server will not distinguish domain1.com from domain2.com, they will both point to exactly the same Document Root in Alpha, hence the same application. The best you can get is domain1.com\app1 or domain2.com\app2, which is probably unacceptable. The only solution with Alpha is to put Apache in front to do Virtual Name-based Hosting. Apache would resolve the domain names and point the user to the proper folder/application. You have to call Alpha sales directly to ask about the apache module.
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve

The apache module is not available any more I talked with Brett this morning

I would need more info to see what randbo is trying to achive

2 domains pointing to the same folder is no problem at all
        windows iis will also do name based by using host-header names
        same port can be same document root or a different one ie:

a5webroot/data1
        a5webroot/data2 etc

also 2 domains or several can be served on a microsoft server - legal
        as you are only running one server but different domain names I have done this for several years and was an isp dealing with microsoft on this type of
        setup - very advanced server configuration such as indexing for each website notice web site not web server and only one indexing server but again different folders for each web site
        thus you are only using 1 server the a5webroot server but sub-folders
        you can do this very easy ie: again point your domain name to my server running the a5 server my domain owns it or hosts it - legal your domain name is no different then a link on a page - mydata.html yourdata.html hisdata.html You would not want to be limited to only having one web page per server

the above is also true for data.yoursite.com or secure.yoursite.com etc

In closing I hope this clears up how a windows server works this is the same for how the a5w server license reads to me
        you are only running one copy of iis, apache or a5w but different folders per-say where you store the files like the virtual host name implies
        one host but as many virtual hosts as the server can support only limited by storage, memory, and bandwidth

Greg

Comment

I thought they would kill the apache module someday. Glad to see IIS can do the same. In fact probably Apache without any module from Alpha would work, but I do not now how to configure without that added module.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve

which one apache or iis I see no real need to load apache on windows if
            you can use iis however if you have some other need for apache do it

iis will serve web pages you can install php if needed too

apache is pretty simple to add virtual hosts to the http.conf file that is really all you have to do and restart apache

iis is easy also using host-header names hope below helps

windows server name is say "data"

default web server picks up the server name so you can go to http://data there you are the default page or under-construction

in windows create a virtual domain sounds like apache virtual host doesn't it
            now lets add a host header name - www.mydomain.com you can point it to where you want /inetpub/wwwroot/steve or a5webroot or even a5webroot/steve

you can even set the host header name to answer a certain port number or ip address but the ip address deal for each domain name would be hard to do with 50 domains on your server this is why host header name or the same as name-based domains on apache

one ip address 250 domains no problem dns points to ip address web server points to domain name domain name points to content folder that simple

content folder can be anywhere on server like

c:\a5webroot\steve
            c:\a5webroot\greg

only one a5 server running

Greg

Comment

Thanks Steve and glbaird, sorry for delay, that info is great, although a little over my head. It sounds like IIS can handle my 2 domains. Maybe you can email me if either of you or anyone is willing to help, me get this set up.

I have a Win2k server. I also have Apache installed, I did that when I was working on a php/mysql but couldn't really get it to do what I've been able to do with Alpha. But I have to turn Apache off when I use Alpha, because it uses port 80, and Alpha needs that.

Now I realize I may have a problem. I switched from Optonline a couple months ago to Verizon Fios. I heard that Verizon blocks port 80. So, now after 8 months of working on my web app, and planning on allowing my remote co-workers to access the data, it seems like Verizon won't work, but maybe I can have Alpha use port 81? Is that possible?

I've heard of a website called www.DynDNS.com I don't know if this could help solve my problems? port forwarding? for dynamic ips?

Now, I think I will hold off on the 2 domains right now and see if I can at least get my webserver to be accessable to the internet and hopefully with an SSL from godaddy.com, they charge a reasonable price. Is this possible?

Then I will just import my data from my php/mysql hosted sites, and then deal with the 2 domain issue later. .

This is new territory for me. So most of what you said is greek to me.

What are your thoughts?

You can email me if you like [email protected]

I was really hoping to get this web app up this weekend so I can have my remote assistants work from it.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

glbaird, I read through your comments about 3 more times. I think in answer to your question, I am using one Alpha database for both domains. I think I might have to have 2 separate entry points with their own webpages. That makes it seem like ex. 2 might work. But I still don't clearly know when example is best. What questions can I answer to help make that choice?

But could we have example 2 use a port other than 80, so as to avoid being blocked?

Example two
                https://mydomain.com will just point to the same a5w server then again using the alpha server cert
                Could you help me set this up? I have gotomypc that would allow you to access my system real easy. [email protected]

Comment

Example two

Farther testing has given me a different approach to this "setup"

Doing a re-think on the ssl cert If it is on the DATA server then only one cert would be needed data.server.com say gets the cert all subs under it are covered

yourdata, mydata, etc If you were to change to www.yourdata.com or www.mydata.com cert would not work So the cert would cover all subs again on data.server.com/mydata, data.server.com/yourdata Now as you will see in the private email I sent you how to make Microsoft IIS work you set up the host header names to point to a folder ie: mydata or yourdata and you have it no cert needed for each domain as the AWS covers all

In years of internet related work this is about as "clean" as it can be done
                  IIS will answer on any port you want up to 30484 I recall but AWS will only answer on one port number So to finish mydata hosted on your secure web app server does not look to bad --------- big-data-server.com/glbaird-sales

Separate site would end up a cert for each one and if you have a website it is always the root folder so you end up looking like www.big-site.com/glbaird-sales anyway

Greg

Comment

Working...
                  X