Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web Project / App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Project / App

Are there no examples of (html, dialog, grid, web component) files that one can look at as examples of how to create a web app using A5V8?

All the examples I see included with A5V8 are for desktop apps? (even though one of them says AlphaSports web app - there are still no supporting html, dialog, grid, or web component files).

Re: Web Project / App

There a number of videos at http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafive/video/.
    "all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

Mike

Comment

Also, check this out:

http://afas.alphasoftware.com/SamplePages/
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

There's a bunch of info at my website also, and check the other links in my signature for example sites.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks for the info - lot of good stuff there!

I have read through alot of the material over the weekend and think I now have a pretty good idea of what it is that I would like to create. I am not a programmer but have been designing websites for 10+ years - and I am trying to get a grasp on how A5V8 works and how I can build "functional" websites rather than "pretty" websites.

I have customers/dealer/companies that order modular houses that I would like to allow them to submit orders through the internet - that would allow them to select their base model and then all of the available options. The user would have to go through all of the available options and make selections in order to create an invoice.

What I would like to do is create a web app invoice where the invoice would lead the user through several pages (steps) - starting with (step1 ) a customer info page (where you would choose the customer/dealer/company from a dropdown and if the customer did not exist in the database, there would be a link to the customer detail grid in order to enter all of the customers pertinent info) - after which you would then click on a submit button or click on a link which would submit the info and take you to the next step in the invoice/order process.

After step 1 has been completed and submitted - you would then be taken to the first category to make choices from and then once completed submit or click on a link - and you would be taken to the next category - and would continue this process until the user has been taken through all of the necessary categories and made all of the necessary choices.

Once completed and submitted then a summary page would be presented that could be printed out.

I know that I will need a customers table that would include a cust_id and other pertinent info. I will also need a products table that will include all of the available products, categories, and options for the invoice.

I will need an invoice table that will contain an invoice_id, and also the cust_id that will tie the two together.

I guess my question would be at this time - what other tables would I need to complete an web app like I have laid out above?

Thanks!

Comment

AlphaSportsWeb app has the basics that you need... customer, invoice and product related tables... typically required sets, general field rules, etc. I would start with that.

Mike

Comment

OK - now I am confused. The AlphaSports web app looks nothing like a dialog or grid component was used to create it?

Then when I look at the web app examples - I am even more confused and am back to square one as to what to start with as far as pages are concerned and what controls/components to place on them?

I am absolutely lost and frustrated!

Comment

The AlphaSportsWeb application data structures (i.e. the database files) are the same regardless of if you are interested in the desktop user interface (i.e. forms and browses) or Web-based user interface (i.e. Web pages, Alpha grids and dialogs)

If you don't own the Web-based application, which Alpha sells separately... then you are only seeing the desktop user interface. But, again, your question, I thought, was about database application design in general and therefore what you can see... in AlphaSportsWeb... is certainly valuable.

Mike

Comment

Michael - thank you for your responses. Yes, as far as design, tables, info needed for this app - the AlphaSports example is invaluable.

However, in order for me to create an app, who is not a programmer, I would like to see the dialog, grid, and html pages for AlphaSports web as examples so that I could learn from them.

Thanks again for responding!

Comment

I have gotten a pretty good start on my web app - and I am trying to create a page called "select a customer / company".

On this page the user will complete the first step in creating an invoice by selecting a customer / company from a list that is dynamically created.

Once they choose the customer /company from the list (either by clicking on a text link - linked to the cust_id - or through a dynamically created drop down that would contain a Customer ID that would show ID, Last Name, First Name, Company Name to choose from) - the information would then auto-fill and then the user would click on the submit and be taken to the next step (subsequent page). All of the then subsequent selections/steps would then be connected to this customer / company.

If the customer is new and is not in the database - there would be a text link "New Customer?" next to the drop down - that when clicked would take the user to the customer detail page that would enable them to enter the new customer info.

An example that is pretty close to what I am looking for can be found at:
                    http://afas.alphasoftware.com/Sample...idwithLink.a5w

With the exception of the search - this should be the dynamically created drop down - and then once a choice has been made - a page displaying the detail information for that customer and a submit button that takes you to the next step.

My question is how to create the dynamic drop down - and how to create the linked submit button to take it to the next step?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Hmmm. Thank goodness I'm not the only one struggling with a Web App!

Seems like I'm trying to achieve a similar thing to Don, but I'm having trouble getting my head around the niceties of inserting web components into an existing HTML page and then publishing it.

I can hand-code HTML well and, whilst I'm better with the old Alpha 4 - and new to Alpha 5, I've created some half-decent applications in A5v8. Now I want to create a simple web app.There just doesn't seem to be a great deal of tutorial on Dialogue Components.

Don't think I'm daft, but I can't seem to get an inserted Dialogue Component to be visible in a Published HTML page - yet it's there when I 'Execute' it before Publishing. I'm probably going about it all wrong, even though I've followed the tutorial.

I also have a bit of a problem getting my head around Executing, Publishing etc etc. I know how to create web pages and relational databases, but I'm falling flat on my face trying to combine the two.

Any advice as to where I might get a decent tutorial?

Thanks.

Nick.

Comment

Nick:

See if this helps. Here's the basic steps:

1. Duplicate your html page, giving the new file an .A5W extension. If it's named MyPage.htm, the new one will be MyPage.A5W

2. Edit the A5W page.

3. Using the WYSIWYG editor, place your cursor where you want to insert the component.

4. Use the button to Insert Component.

5. Save the document.

6. Make sure your A5 Web Server is running.

7. Publish and View to your local webroot or to the web server.

There are lots of things you do to enhance/tweak/adjust all this, but this'll get you started.
                        -Steve
                        sigpic

Comment

Steve.

You're a STAR!

I was doing everything correctly, except I was working on my original HTML page not the A5W!

Thank you very much for your kind response. You've definitely saved me hours of head scratching.

Sincerely.

Nick.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
                            Nick:

See if this helps. Here's the basic steps:

1. Duplicate your html page, giving the new file an .A5W extension. If it's named MyPage.htm, the new one will be MyPage.A5W

2. Edit the A5W page.

3. Using the WYSIWYG editor, place your cursor where you want to insert the component.

4. Use the button to Insert Component.

5. Save the document.

6. Make sure your A5 Web Server is running.

7. Publish and View to your local webroot or to the web server.

There are lots of things you do to enhance/tweak/adjust all this, but this'll get you started.
                            Oooops. Seem to have got stuck again.

I've created A5W pages no problem, but now I'm at a dead stop.

I have a Dialog page ("register") with a number of variables to hold new client details. On 'Submit' the details should be passed to the appropriate table ("client") to create a new record, but they are not. Nor is the user moved to the "thankyou" page.

I have included the following code on the A5W page "register", together with the component for variable input.

------
                            <%a5
                            if eval_valid("register_button_submit")
                            Dim tbl as P
                            tbl=table.open("[pathAlias.adb_path]\client")
                            tbl.enter_begin()
                            tbl.Created_date =date()
                            tbl.Client_type =alltrim(Client_type)
                            tbl.Client_name =alltrim(Client_name)
                            tbl.Client_address1 =alltrim(Client_address1)
                            tbl.Client_city =alltrim(Client_city)
                            tbl.Client_county =alltrim(Client_county)
                            tbl.Client_postcode =alltrim(Client_postcode)
                            tbl.Client_telephone =alltrim(Client_telephone)
                            tbl.Client_facsimile =alltrim(Client_facsimile)
                            tbl.Client_email =alltrim(Client_email)
                            tbl.Client_website =alltrim(Client_website)
                            tbl.Client_contact =alltrim(Client_contact)
                            tbl.Client_contact_mobilephone =alltrim(Client_contact_mobilephone)
                            tbl.Client_contact_email =alltrim(Client_contact_email)
                            tbl.Notes =alltrim(Notes)
                            tbl.enter_end(.t.)
                            tbl.close()
                            Currentform.RedirectTarget = "thankyou.htm"
                            end if
                            %>
                            Unquote
                            --------

I think that the above code is correct. Am I missing something very obvious?

I can't seem to find much in the tutorials regarding Dialogs, so it's a bit of a guessing game.

Apart from help with the above, can anyone suggest where I might get further details (and examples) of Dialogs.

Thanks for any help.

Nick.

Comment

Probably the "register_button_submit" never exists (not the name of your button), so never fires the code. But the normal place for such code is in the Dialog's AfterValidate Event, not the A5W page itself.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X