Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How much do you charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do you charge?

What is considered to be a reasonable charge for developing and implementing a database for a customer? Do you charge by the hour or do you charge for functionality? Any feedback appreciated.
    Thanks
    Murray

Re: How much do you charge?

I can't speak for others, but what I do comes out to about 120 per hour. I may be doing it by table, form, report, etc., but it comes out in the end to about 120 per hour. I did find I needed to qverestimate the time it would take to do a job. It seems that when I think it will take 12 hours, it goes more like 24 - 36. I also make a profit when I supply hardware, but try to set that up so a manufacturer somewhere is accountable for repairs if needed.

I also sell commercially with a solid program and it does much better, but you have to factor in that there is developement time, advertising and all the other good stuff that makes it a company that runs just like you were selling a hard product. Even so, the after the sale(and free support) it costs the end user about 120 per hour. This may come by way of training, extra forms, extra reports or some other form of support. So far, with sales counted in and taking into account the total cost of developement and software, machines, and advertising, I may have maded 1.38 per hour(Hmmm... Wanna buy a company??). A few more sales and this drastically rises.

By the way, this question has been asked before. I answered that one differently because things were different for me then.

Dave
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

This older post may be of help.
      Tim Kiebert
      Eagle Creek Citrus
      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Dave's $120/hour is a respectable number. However, my favorite developer is Frances P. from Florida. She charges $150/hour, which is an even more respectable number (she makes no secret about this). Maybe Frances charges more now, but that was what she told us at the last conference (last May). I cite her, because she has the highest number that I know of, and thus she is the winner. The worst thing is to undercharge. Low balling only hurts other developers and may cause one to cut corners. I saw one developer who charges $35/hour, which to me, is a joke. It suggests that the person is merely doing it for a hobby and has another secondary (i.e. primary) income stream - or they are retired.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

For what it's worth, I agree with Peter... $120 is OK, $150 is better. Our rates are based on the type and amount of work. For example, if you wanted us to provide 20 hours of service and the project had little or nothing else to offer... we would likely bid it at $250 per hour, with the hours to be provided based on our schedule. That is, we would get to the project when/as we could.

On the other hand, if you have hundreds of hours of work for us... and we believed the project provided us, in one way or another, more than "just" a work an hour get paid an hour opportunity... we may bid the project as low as $90 an hour.

In general, I assume my developers will only be "billable," 1,000 hours per year. That said... based on their salaries and our overhead... we (the company) "needs" to bill them between $90-$100 per hour JUST TO BREAK EVEN. So, $120 per hour would be the minimum if the company is to make any money at all... while $150 provides the company a reasonably good profit.

Bottom line... our hourly rate depends on the "type and amount of work," and what else, if anything, is in it for us. But, no matter what... we do not work for less than a "living wage," for the company, which is approximately $90 per hour.
          "all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

Mike

Comment

I charge similar to Michael below. To simplify I start out with a "base price" for the common elements of a web or desktop application. That's because I have pretty evolved 'templates' that took hundreds of hours to develop, but take me little time to implement on a brand new project. That 'base price' does not increase the overall project, but helps to break it into one 'known' entity (with a list of standard features, etc.) and one which is the client's custom elements. I ask for 20-25% of the estimate up front, and then just bill hourly after that. On rare occassions I quote a fixed price, but I would like to evolve to that level.

When I first started out I undercharged for everything. I stopped that when one prospect turned down my proposal because it was significantly under what they expected, indicating I must not know what I was doing. I did know what I was doing, and so took a clue.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

I think Peter hit it. If Frances Peake can get it, I can too(no knock on her intended). Actually, I have never knowingly ran cross of her and i am in Florida too. I think we are about 300 miles away though.

I had been thinking it was time to go up a bit. I use the hourly when estimating a job and rarely do a job on an hourly basis. I figure the hours it should take for me to do the work, multiply by 120 and then double it. I don't get much resistance at my now pricing, so going up a little should be fine. 150 would be much nicer.

The best business I have is when someone calls for a form to be printed for a car program. Most of the major software companies want to charge 250 or more to fill in a form. I can get 100 - 150 to do it and complete in 15 to 30 minutes and that is sent to them in that time period. I already have most of the forms made and it only takes a few minutes to move the fields around to fit.

Remember, There are always callbacks for more work and if you did it, it becomes much easier for you to do the changes and can be very profitable.

Contracts are a must! Detail is a must! Complete agreement is a must!! The other thread that was referred to covers most of this. Sometimes a contract lawyer is a must to be sure the wording is correct for legal purposes. It costs money and should be figured for in your contract. Be SURE to use your own attorney!

Dave
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question. A very informative discussion.

Does anyone know of or have a list of things to consider (checklist) when quoting for a database build and implementation.
                Thanks
                Murray

Comment

Here are the most basic questions I ask: http://alphatogo.com/request_quote.htm

I don't ask about budget on my ititial form, but ask during the first conversation.

Here is Alpha's list of questions: http://www.alphasoftware.com/services/proservice.asp
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Give a little hint to help here.

First: I am considered a master salesman, if there is such a thing.

the steps to any sale consist of:

Greeting: this can be a hand shake, a basic hello, or to an involved process. No matter how you got to the client, a greeting is VERY important.

Qualification: meetes 3 categories: Can Afford(what is the budget), what is wanted, what is the need. In this order - wants - can afford - needs. this to me is the most important part of the sale, because if you don't meet these there is no further. Remember, if the want and need are there, the budget may get larger. Be sure of this before you promise something that puts you in a hole.

Presentation: something must be shown the client: a mockup, past programs made: something with beauty, funtionality and similar to the desired product(want and need).

Demonstration: show the program similar to what is wanted and needed and make some of it functional. Let them feel how it works in their own hands and , if possible, on their own computer.

Close: This is a moot point unless the other steps are taken. Ask for the sale and do not be bashful about it. Name your price that has been derived by your own hard work(past and future) and tainted with the qualification step. Negotiate. Sign a contract and get as much of the money up front with a written understanding it will not be refunded.

after this: do your job and supply what you contracted for, deliver on time, make sure the client knows how and can use it. If you contracted for training of the help, then supply as much as needed.
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Does anyone have a generic support agreement (what is and is not covered) that they might share?

Thanks
                      Bill Belanger

Comment

Bill,

That should be incorporated in your contract at time of sale. The car program(my number 1), I cover almost every thing for the first year. If the customer call about any problem pertaining to upslog, I work on it. If they opt for support after the year, I cover the same things as within the one year. My contracts also have a provision for one time printed forms generation so they get whatever forms they have made in the first stages of our relationship. After, they have to pay.

A friend of mine does have an agreement made up for support. I will try to get you a copy. He has 2 and one includes any printed state and bank forms needed.

Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                        X