Alpha Video Training

Thread: Quirky Browse behavior

Real Name
    Douglas Wiegand

Default Quirky Browse behavior

I’m baffled. Can anyone explain the following quirky behaviors?

Quirk 1:
    Design a simple table comprised of two character fields. Open the empty table using <default browse> (i.e. double click the table) and then immediately try to exit without entering/creating a record and Alpha displays a warning dialog window asking “Save enter in progress?” even though no data is entered.

Design another table with 3 fields. Open this empty table in <default browse> and Alpha doesn’t display the warning dialog window when exiting unless content is actually entered into the record and the exit action is invoked without having first saved the record. Just Hmmmm…..

Now actually enter/save a record in each table as above. Then click on <new record> as if to add another record, but don’t enter anything and simply try to exit. Same odd results.

Bigger Quirk 2:
    Use the same two-field table design and actually add/save a record, then click on <new record> and attempt to exit without entering data for the new record. Alpha again generates the warning confirmation dialog. Try the same thing with a browse displaying three fields and Alpha only generates the warning dialog when exiting after clicking on <new record> if data is entered and not saved. Now create a stored browse displaying only one field. Things really get weird. Alpha permits <new record> to be clicked even though the table is empty. If an exit from the browse is invoked Alpha will generate the warning dialog (even though no data is entered) but if one simply moves focus off the empty new record line back to a previously stored line, Alpha creates and saves a null record (i.e. one with no field contents) with no warning dialog displayed. Huh?

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Default Re: Quirky Browse behavior

this is normal behavior - if you open an empty table it is by default in enter mode, unless it is opened in a modal form

it is normal, when you begin entering a new record, and try to exit for Alpha to ask what you want to do with the record - save it as blank? cancel it?
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Doug Page

Martin,

Read his post a little closer. What he said was that if the table had 2 fields in it, it would create the message BUT NOT if there were 3 or more fields. I just tried it and he is correct. It should be the same both ways in my estimation.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

I see what you mean
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Douglas Wiegand

Thanks for the replys.

Most bothersome to me is the behavior with only one field displayed in the stored browse. Click on <new record> and then click off to another row (stored record) and see what happens. New blank records are created with absolutely no warning.

In the absence of an explanation pointing to something I'm missing, I am left to conclude these behaviors are bugs. Just surprised that a bug(s) of this nature have been run into and fixed eons ago with a product that's been out as long as Alpha.

Guess I will have to prepare some samples and ship them off to Alpha for their response.

I also have a some other quirks that consistently encounter but can't explain or resolve and will submit those for anyone's comment when I get done preparing some examples and expanatory text.

Thanks again guys for your time and attention.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Douglas, the normal behavior for the browse object embedded in a form layout is to save pending edits when the user moves the record pointer in the browse or shifts focus to a different object in the form layout. I understand you to be saying that the new blank records are occuring in the single column browse even when no "edits" have been started. I share your concern. FWIW an easy work around for this is to cancel the save if a key field or group of fields is blank. You can do this in the CanSaveRecord event in field rules for the table.

Real Name
    Douglas Wiegand

That's precisely what I have experienced but only in cases of browses displaying one and only one field. Thanks for the suggestion about using a cancel in the CanSaveRecord event. That will probably suffice as a work around, but my thinking is that this behavior ought to be automatically trapped by Alpha and the developer shouldn't have to be bothered by having to define event rules to prevent it from happening.