Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

I want to create a Simple Database on A Fileserver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to create a Simple Database on A Fileserver

I have no idea where to begin.
    I have a Suse 10 Fileserver running Open enterprise Server.
    For this purpose it is a lot like a Netware fileserver and it maps z: to a DATA: volume.
    I want to build my database in Z:\DATA on my fileserver.
    And I want a single user to access it via a windows xp workstation with a novell client. Right now I have an old Netware server with an alpha 4 Database running on it connected to a different xp machine side by side the other xp machine that I want to access my new file server. This is so I can browse the old dos alpha 4 Database and create the same fields in my new alpha5 database.
    Which the new machine will access on the new server. This is a case management program the admin before me created which keeps track of residents and room assignments in a shelter. I have no idea if I can export the data from the old dos program or not, nor how to do it. I am not a programmer and know very little about Alpha4 or alpha5.
    Suggestions are appreciated
    Thanks,
    Bill

Re: I want to create a Simple Database on A Fileserver

Hire someone to help you with the project.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I work for a nonprofit.
      that does not like to spend a lot of money.
      so that is definitely not an option.
      But Alpha should be a lot like ms access.
      I just don't know where to begin.
      That is why I am asking for suggestions.
      I am looking for technical answers like can I install the program
      To z:\alpha onmy file server. instead of on my xp workstation and put a shortcut on my desktop and start it from my pc and
      any other pc a create a shortcut on?

Thanks,
      Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

May I suggest you keep things simple? Install Alpha on your xp workstation and create your new db there. Once you have the db working as you need it to be, then simply copy the entire directory to your fileserver where you need it to be permanently.

As far as importing your old data, I would suggest searching the forums as this has been discussed many times in the past. In general, the forms, reports, labels, scripts, etc will not import to the Alpha Five versions. All of those will need to be created from scratch. You can, however, copy the tables from the Alpha Four database to a new directory on your work station with the exception of any memo fields (the memo field file is a different ext now).
        Cheryl
        #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
        http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

What do the tables consist of? Because depending on how hard it is to do, it might not even be worth doing. I would also have to manually back up the old alpha4 data before importing cause there is no backup currently on the server.
          I may have to just start creating from scratch.
          just using the old database as a model
          Also the db is a self sufficient app correct?
          So once i create it I can run it from anywhere correct?
          So the alpha5 program needs to be installed only on the xp station i create the db on. then once i am finished i can copy my custom app to my fileserver and there is no need to install alpha5 there? Then wherever i create a shortcut to the db ie another desktop etc it will run there?

Thanks for the help,
          Bill

Comment

Bill,

As I suggested, please search the forums and review the many threads discussing the conversion of an Alpha Four database to Alpha Five. When you copy the Alpha Four files to a new directory (again, except for the memo fields) then you will have the tables (formerly called databases) and all the data that is currently in them. Depending on the database itself is concerned, it may or may not be easier to start from scratch depending on the number of tables you are looking at and the number of records involved.

If you start from scratch you will need to then import the old data and if you have actually changed the table structures this can be a time consuming and/or difficult process.

The database files can be placed anywhere you want it to be and then accessed from the same computer or different computers. This is not just a matter of creating a shortcut on the computer you want to access the database from. The computer where you will create the shortcut (or computers) will need to have either the full version of Alpha installed or the runtime version of Alpha installed on it as well.

Again, Please search the forums and read the many posts discussing the conversion between Alpha Four and Alpha Five. As Al stated, since you have little experience with programming, Alpha Four, or Alpha Five, it may be in your best interest to hire someone to handle the project for you. For the experienced developer, this process is time consuming but not necessarily difficult. For someone with little or no experience, this project can and will be a frustrating process.
            Cheryl
            #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

I appeciate your concern.
              But I cannot hire anyone to help me means just that.
              So please do not suggest it again.
              Alpha touts that any Netadmin can create a simple db with Alpha without programming.
              If that is not true they are lying.
              What I need to create is a simple Database that keeps track of resident names and the rooms they are assigned to.
              I will start reading about the conversion process from Alpha4 to Alpha5 on Monday. The catch 22 attitude does not fly with me. I taught myself to be a Novell,Windows and Linux Admin. I had no money to spend on training. Now I am in my opinion a better Netadmin than 90% of the people who went to school in my opinion. I do not desire to be a programmer, but I want to figure out how to create a simple database. Also if anyone knows of any step by step links, to tutorials that would be helpful to me to create a simple db with Alpha5 I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
              Bill

Comment

Bill,

Try going into Alpha Sports and see how the tables are put togther and how the forms/reports and so forth are done.

It is there for you to learn with and you could copy it to a folder and modify it or parts of it to your needs.

You can do it. Don't let anyone dissuade you.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I have no idea where to begin.
                  Install Alpha Five on the local XP workstation. Forget converting anything until you climb the learning curve a bit more.

Read through the user's guide.
                  Open the sample template databases and then tear them apart to see how they work. Play with the prebuilt forms, then open them in design mode to see how they were constructed.

Move to AlphaSports sample database after working through the other samples.

Then create a new database from scratch. Define a few tables. Work with the default form and browse layouts to learn how to enter, edit, and navigate through the tables.

Then embark on the conversion. If you can't invest cash be prepared to invest significant time.

Comment

Tom gave you some excellent advise. I think the hardest job I ever did was for a non-profit that paid nothing.
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Bill,
                      I agree with Dave.

As far as
                      any Netadmin can create a simple db with Alpha without programming
                      I do believe that is true---the problem feel lies in what is classified as a "Simple database". If I had undertaken what I now feel would be a simple project, I could have done dozens of them in a two year time span doing it part time.

I started a project almost 2 years ago but have yet to finish it---not for lack of being able to by no means...more of a lack of time to do such AND learn as much as I could about Alpha programming which has definitely taken the majority of my time the past 6 or more months. As simple as I had originally thought my project was I am now convinced that it is not--Tom Cone had pointed this out to me early on in my endeavor and was very correct.

I think your intended project is a fairly simple one--or could be I should say as anyone can make even a simple project much more involved than needed to by adding all sorts of "bells and whistles" to it.

But the import of other data can be a headache and is what many here are warning you about--and this has Nothing to do with Alpha's contention regarding the ease of programming a simple database--importing data is not part of a simple database in my opinion.

It sounds like you have much more experience than I probably now even have (total of now 2 years for me in regard to any programming). As such I think you, with help from the board can create a simple database--but time does have to spent for sure and prep time is probably the most important--suggest going through not only AlphaSports but also at least one of the tutorials out there. AND learn how to search the online help file and this messageboard as most answers will be there.

Good luck!
                      Mike

Comment

Bill

There is excellent advice in the above posts - you are getting this advice from very good Alpha programmers - some who do it for a living and others that do it for their companies.

Your first concern was importing data from the old Alpha4 dos version. Cheryl gave you good advice on how to do that - Alpha ver 8 will read the dbf files of Alpha 4.

I just opened an old Alpha4 ver "2" file with Alpha ver 8 - I did as Cheryl advised - I copied all the files to another directory - copy them DO NOT MOVE THEM ( you might need to go back to the original). I made sure that all the files necessary to run it under A4V2 were there including the memo file which has the extension of .DBT. I then loaded A5V8 and then open the file into Ver 8. As Cheryl said there were no layouts (forms), reports etc. The only thing that was brought over was the dbf. I then opened the default form and it loaded all the information into a form (created tabs because there were quite a few fields (8 tabs to be exact). I was surprised that even the memo fields were on the new form with memo data intact.

The A4V2 file that I copied was from 1999 and it still worked in A5V8 - no importing whatsoever. (I knew it would)

I'm just trying to assure you as all of the learned ladies and gentlemen have tried to with excellent advice.

Take the time to read the help files - look at Alpha Sports - Alpha is made for the novice but advanced enough for most profiecient programmer/developer.

Don't give up - this forum will be here to help you every step of the way -BUT - you must take the first step in trying to understand Alpha and its workings under the window environment - everything that you want to do is doable under Alpha. You will be amazed how you can build in Alpha without writing a single line of code (using Action Scripting).

Again - don't give up - we will be here to help.

Tom Baker

Comment

Cool thanks for all your help.
                          Another thing I forgot to mention was that my
                          Boss did suggest that if importing the Data from Alpha 4 was
                          too difficult or time cosuming, that I could just create a similar Database and
                          have the case maanager imput all the new data in only the new database.
                          and eventually just fade out the old one.
                          I may or may not import the alpha4 Data based on what is involved.
                          I plan to start researching the importing and messing around with alpha sports on monday. I also have to figure out networking wise where I am going to plug in my laptop and have one pc with the alpha4 database open as my model for creating the new one. This company refuses to waste money so they will have to live with however long it will take me to figure this all out.

Thanks again,
                          Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

Please re-read the responses in this thread. You should NOT have to 'import' any of the data. Simply copy your A4 files to a new directory and then open the db from the new directory in V8 and all of your data should be there. Unless there is corruption in any of the tables, you should be ok as far as the data is concerned.

Unless your plan is to completely re-structure the tables from the A4 version, it makes no sense to start from scratch and lose your existing data.
                            Cheryl
                            #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Bill,

Suggestion:

Copy your tables over like most have said and then add fields as you need them. once you have that data in the tables, if anyone adds to the old tables, you can run an unique append to get the newest data over too your a5 tables. Only append the newest records until the new a5 app is online.

caution:

Once the new system is running, disable the old a4 system or someone will surely put stuff in the old one because they are familiar with it and claim something like, "OH I Forgot".

We are all rootin for ya.
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X