Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

I want to create a Simple Database on A Fileserver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want to create a Simple Database on A Fileserver

Bill,

Just a question, but how many .dbf files are in the alpha4 app you are going to put into alpha5?

By the way, there is an areea on the forum that has some threads on v4 to v5 that may help you.

I did mine so many years ago, it is hard to remember.

Dave
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks again.
      I started playing with a form today.
      How do I make a field that can contain both numeric and letter values?
      I am working on finishing the practice alpha movies database.

Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

Make it a character field type and you can use any data.
        Cheryl
        #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
        http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl Lemire View Post
          Hi Bill,

Make it a character field type and you can use any data.
          I am using the online help

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...sing_Forms.htm

I am up to the part using forms. I learned how to create tables and sets so far an to customize a browse. I created the Sample Alpha movies Database and am working through the examples with alpha sports. I kinda feel overwhelmed by all the options. How many examples should I work through before I start researching how to import my Alpha 4 Data.
          I know so little about this. If it is imported will it create tables for me.
          I wish I could hire someone to create the database but my company refuses to pay. That is why I am trying to force myself to learn this.
          The Database we have on Alpha 4 is fine but it being in Dos format is not good because of lack of support for New hardware.

Any suggestions are appreciated,

I will continue prcticing the Examples for now,
          Thanks

Bill

Comment

Bill,

To reiterate what has been said above, YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO DO ANY IMPORTING OF YOUR A4 DATABASE AS IT IS ALREADY IN USEABLE FORM!!!!!!!!!

I am not yelling, just trying to make sure that you understand the importance of that statement. If you create a new folder on your computer and COPY your .dbf files to this directory, then you can start A5 and with the Table tab selected, right mouse click anywhere in the white area and click on Add Table/Set. Now navigate to your NEW folder and select one of the .dbf files. This table will now show up and is useable. Do the rest of the .dbf's that you have and then you can start the process of creating your forms, etc.

However, do keep doing the demos as you do have a fair amount to learn to create a whole new system.

Comment

Just another question by default does alpha4 save all the .dbf files in a folder called A4. Just curious cause I thought I saw the files there.
              I may come in early on friday to attempt to copy the files to my desktop before anyone starts working. I took over for a different net admin so I never really figured out how everything was set up.
              But there is a mapped drive in Z:\Data\Peggy where I think there might be the .dbf files. I think there is also an application directory with dbf files. weird thing is when I find the target of the shortcut it looks like it is pointing to the alpha app on the desktop and not the actual Database.

Thanks again,
              Bill

Comment

Bill,

It has been so long since I saw A4 that I don't remember where things are anymore. You might want to post a message in the A4 area and ask how to find where to see the directory that the database is in. I am sure I can remember that there was a way to do this.

It also seems to me that the desktop icon should be to the .exe but there should also be another parameter after that shows which database to load. That should have the path to the files you want.

Comment

Originally posted by billperrotta View Post
                  Just another question by default does alpha4 save all the .dbf files in a folder called A4. Just curious cause I thought I saw the files there.
                  I may come in early on friday to attempt to copy the files to my desktop before anyone starts working. I took over for a different net admin so I never really figured out how everything was set up.
                  But there is a mapped drive in Z:\Data\Peggy where I think there might be the .dbf files. I think there is also an application directory with dbf files. weird thing is when I find the target of the shortcut it looks like it is pointing to the alpha app on the desktop and not the actual Database.

Thanks again,
                  Bill
                  bill,

you are right, data are stored on the server with the mapped drive z. what you are seeing if you find the target of the application on workstation is a shadow copy of what you have in the server.

its like a aplitted database in access, separating tables from forms, reports etc...

hope this helps
                  Francis

Comment

Possibly use search with *.dbf on each computer from the explorer and watch the file sizes that show up. Somewhere in there are the tables you need. The big ones are probably correct and should/probably be all in one folder.
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

This is like watching a slow motion train crash!

May I suggest that you try and find a local person who has a bit of experience with Alpha Software. What you are tring to do is really very simple if it is approached from a position of knowlede.

Problem is that all of us who earn a living with Alpha products have been through the learning pain barrier and you have a simple choice - do the same or call in a favour.

See if you can get someone to invest a bit of social responsibility (free) time. Might cost you a coffee.

Ted
                      See our Hybrid Option here;
                      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I was able to add some of my forms from Alpha 4 into a New Alpha5 Database
                        But I am unsure How to create a new New Main Menu or splash screen
                        to try to link them. Link them from the main menu similar to how Alpha 4 was.

Thanks again,
                        Bill

Comment

Bill,

A main menu is nothing more than a form. It is usually best to create a table something like blanktble to base your mainmenu/form on. That way, it can just have one record(if by chance it gets a whole bunch of records, it doesn't matter because they are not used for anything). You can set the form to not allow more records and no fields have to show on the form itself. It is for navigation by buttons(it is easier at first with buttons) to open other forms built on tables and sets.

For instance: I have a blank table(It has 1 record) in my db with a form called mainmenu that only has buttons. One of the buttons opens a form called prospbuyer that is built on a set. I can then go from there to 12 other forms as needed to enter all the sales records with numerous places to print reports as needed by the users.

There is another button the goes to a reports menu, another that goes to utilities, and so on. It all started with one button.

Hope this helps get you started.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Once you have your "menu" form set up, while viewing the control panel, use the File menu, Database Properties, to make that form open on startup.
                            There can be only one.

Comment

Ok Just to reiterate.
                              I have converted 6 dbfs
                              into Alpha5 Tables.

They are

1. Residents Database

2. Prescreen Hotline Database

3. Treatment Plan Database

4. Program Services Database

5. Case Manager Database

6. Activity codes Database

All the info I need is already here. Do I have to create forms for these tables before I create a Mainmenu form? If so is there an easy way to do this
                              Thanks,
                              Bill This is such a simple Database that hopefully this won't take long at all

Comment

Bill,

If you think about it, what is a menu? It is a screen that LINKS to another screen - or in Alpha terms a form that links to another form. It would be pretty hard to create the links if there is no secondary form to go to. You could if you wanted, just create the menu with the buttons linking to nothing and then go back after creating each of your secondary forms and create the links later. If you already know what you want, I think it would be easier to create the secondary forms first and then create the link as you create the buttons on your Main Menu.

Comment

Working...
                                X