Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

What's good about the WAS and what's not so good ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's good about the WAS and what's not so good ...

In all due respect, I am always truly amazed at what I can quickly and easily do with Alpha products. My hat goes off to the team at Alpha for this.

However, I do have a serious complaint (hopefully I will not offend anyone). While I can quickly design most of an application and have most of it functioning very quickly, it is the small but very essential stuff that takes me hours, sometimes weeks, months, or never to figure out. In my opinion, the documentation is woefully inadequate in a practical sense. By that I mean, it is so volumnious that it really cannot be printed out and studied, and the all too often issue is that even with all those pages, the answer just cannot be found. I am then left with having to go to the message board, to hopefully find an answer. The members of the message board are rather generous in offering their help and time (though again hoping not to offend, the WAS v 8 board seems to have very little activity or response in comparision to the message board of the desktop versions), but I do not think it is fair to put the burden on other message board users. Many issues come up that do not get resolved, and I do not think this should be on the shoulders of the member community. Alpha needs to do something about it's documentation and in a hurry! I also think that given the years of support we as the member community have given, I think it is time that Alpha starts monitoring the boards on a very regular basis (like daily, if not 24/7), and starts answering questions that cannot be resolved by other members after at most a day or two of trying (if not much sooner). These issues should be responded to by Alpha promptly and with references of where in the help we can find the answers, or letting us know that a new entry has been placed in the help to clarify and explain the issue.

Without that serious committment from Alpha, I find using the WAS too frustrating, and if I feel that way, perhaps others do too.

Again, I hope I have not offended anyone, but these are my thoughts, and are offered here in hopes of improving the Alpha experience.

Gary
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Re: What's good about the WAS and what's not so good ...

Originally posted by drgarytraub View Post
    it is the small but very essential stuff that takes me hours, sometimes weeks, months, or never to figure out. Gary
    Could you please provide a couple of examples of the "essential stuff that takes you hours..." that you are referring to in your post?
    "all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

Mike

Comment

Hi Michael,

If the essentail stuff just took me hours, I would be ecstatic. It's the stuff that takes hours and hours, months, never - whatever.

There are many examples, but the most recent one of my posts is about filtered lookups. I consider that "essential" and as of now, no one has an answer ...

By the way, all I am saying is either Alpha should make a much more useable manual for the WAS and/or give lots more help on the message board ...

Gary
      Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

I concur. I have been an Alpha user since version one some 20 years ago. I respect Alpha and believe it is a great product. However, as mentioned above, I feel there is a great (urgent) need to improve the help �manual� and to have more message board participation.

The user message board community (Alpha customers) has helped me a lot over the past few days. Mainly thanks to Steve Wood I have been able to get answers. But I do have a couple of posts that have gone unanswered. Several times I read on other posts, �read up on the topic� or the complete answer isn�t given or explained. I understand that the goal is for the �newbie� to learn the program: the syntax, where to place the syntax, etc. It is important, but, sometimes for a �newbie,� giving the complete answer in detail is all he/she needs to gain that confidence to move on to the next part of the project, complete the project and ultimately continue to be an Alpha customer.

Many times I have considered giving up. But I have pursued and learned a great deal. A lot has been trial and error. But so far I am succeeding.

I do believe it is important for Alpha to again monitor this board much more frequently and participate in providing answers and direction.

Again, big thank you to those users �gurus� who have helped us newbies get off the ground. You have been a tremendous help!
        Eric

Alpha Five Websites
        longlivepuppies.com
        socialservicenetwork.com
        -------------------------------------------------
        socialservicenetwork.org

Comment

For those of you who are brave enough to honestly voice your opinions, I applaud you. I have similar complaints about the documentation and the clear lack of being assured that a serious issue would ever be resolved.

That is a frightening position to be in when you are committing your professional reputation on the products you produce. One could spend months working on a project only to be stumped near the "end" of the project by a feature that can not be implemented and this lack of completion can "taint" the whole product.

I think that we who are willing to speak out are people who really want Alpha to work out. We are not Alpha haters or over complainers. In many cases we are probably some of Alpha's strongest believers.

For those who fear "the wrath of God" for speaking out only contribute to the problem. Any company can convince itself that "all is well" because they get so "few" complaints. If more people speak up and do it consistenly, then maybe the company will take notice and "fix" the problem.

Anyone using A5, from novice to guru knows for a fact that A5's help system is next to useless. We also know that were it not for a few A5 guru's who contribute to this forum, a lot of us would be flat out left in the cold. Personally I would have had to dump the product after two weeks of use. I've gained some expertise in a number of different computer languages and in no other platform have I spent so much time on trying to make a specific function work in the manner it was intended. I also get very frustrated in a component that worked five minutes ago, suddenly stops working in the same manner.

Let's get some more voices to be heard. If you love A5 and want to fully support it in your future, then speak out. Being quiet doesn't help at all!!!

Comment

So, would you say that using and 'contributing' on the forum is enabling this attitude (as described in this thread) because all of the complaining is played out here, rather than directed there, at Alpha. As a major contributor, this has been on my mind. That is, I sometimes think about stopping.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve (and all),

I am hoping that it does not come to that--contributors suddenly boycotting the forum... it would cause a great deal of problems for many reasons. I am sure that all contributors realize that they are a very valuable resource and that they themselves also benefit immensely by the associations they develope amongst each other.

It is too bad Alpha does not consider this aspect as much as I feel they should. They have "said" so, but that is about the extent of it as far as I know...almost meaningless without some action behind it such as fixing some long time issues that most here have "wished" for in one way or another, help files only being one of them. Without the contributors here on this forum, I think Alpha's sales and reputation would plummet. If a boycott actually came about I can imagine at least 25% of new people would quit Alpha simply , if for no other reason, they could no longer continue or finish their projects without hiring someone to do it (in addition to those that quit now due to whatever reasons). And I am not talking about all contributors boycotting--if just the 15-20 who frequent the forum almost daily did.

I am not advocating this by no means!! I truly would hate to see this happen and am hoping that Alpha will SOON come to see how disgruntled many people are and that some things should be attended to immediately.
              Mike

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance, but I�m having a hard time understanding what, �exactly,� the problem is with the documentation, help, support, etc. Don�t get me wrong, all/any level of documentation, help and support can be enhanced� but what exactly are �we� looking for? For example;

Is the documentation/help incomplete? If so, what functions/features are not currently documented? Have the problems been reported to Alpha and they have refused to correct the situation?

Is the documentation/help incorrect? If so, have the problems been reported to Alpha and they have refused to correct the situation?

Is the documentation not formatted in such a way as to enable it to effective? If so, in what way would you like to see it formatted?

Are you looking for more examples, samples, �step-by-step guides, etc?� If so, like what, and would the things you are interested in seeing be of value to all� or are they specific to your exact, unique, requirement?

Would you like to see Alpha offer/provide some sort of �paid support?� If so, what would you be willing to pay and how would you propose it be delivered?

I think this kind of discussion can be very healthy� but I�m really not understanding exactly what the problems are, and therefore, for me at least, it�s very hard to consider what the viable solutions may be.

Mike

Comment

I can answer this with some detail, but it will be later this weekend or Monday. I'm sure many others can comment too.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Mike,

I am by no means an authority on this but having read so many posts regarding the help file and documentation needs/problems, I think I can answer some of your questions.

The help file has not been updated since about January of this year and many functions, corrections, and additional documentations have been made since that time.

As Steve pointed out there is NO documentation on some features at all--and this is not just on the web side, although mostly there I believe.

Examples are needed in most instances to especially aid newbies--quite a few exmples have been created by users of this forum so maybe that is going to have to be the route to take to get these incorporated into the help.

Up until just very recently many people wanted a printable help file---and Alpha did come through with this after considerable time.

More cross referencing is needed in the help although this would be probably the most difficult (time consuming) of all to do.

Truthfully, I am very surprised that Alpha doesn't attend to these needs a bit more considering how INCREDIBLY they respond to virtually everything else such as bugs reported or functions that do not work, etc.

Regardless of what happens with the help/documentation I, for one, think overall Alpha is a great company and this community is absolutely the best one could hope for. We just want to make it even better is all!!
                    Last edited by MikeC; 01-13-2008, 12:10 PM. Reason: more info
                    Mike

Comment

I concur with mike. Would hate to EVER see the loss of Steve Wood and others that contribute so much here.

Let me just say this:

I came from clipper and way back when, we got our little user manual with all the available functions and I was still an infant learning Clipper. A friend who was accomplished in Clipper explained to me that the functions needed to be memorized completely before I would ever make it. I did that then, but can you imagine trying to memorize all the functions that are supplied with Alpha? Maybe you can, I cannot. In Clipper, we made or purchased/traded (udf)functions to do what we needed.

A help file with the Alpha functions categorized might be a blessing. I know it would take more work and some redundancy. A category for forms would also have functions that would be the same as reports, but not all.

Same with other categories. I would love a category on file manipulation for instance instead of going in and searching for "file" and not seeing maybe 30 other functions that are under another heading. I guess this comes under the naming convention and I sure don't want anybody changing the names of the current functions at this stage.

I, like most of you would love to see more documentation on functions and yes, there are some with no docs in the help file that are useful to me. It is a lot like try three functions and hope one works sometimes, or come here and find out which one before spending a week trying all the different possible ways for each of the three(it could be 20 or 1 that I found).

Updated help file would be a great thing, but I understand v8 bugs and fixes are the utmost importance right now. I have been in a position where I had the choice of fixing a very important mathmatical problem or working on the help file. I chose the math just like you would.

I hope I did not offend anyone and let it be known, I appreciate all of you and the Alpha Company.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                        So, would you say that using and 'contributing' on the forum is enabling this attitude (as described in this thread) because all of the complaining is played out here, rather than directed there, at Alpha. As a major contributor, this has been on my mind. That is, I sometimes think about stopping.
                        Steve,

You were instrumental in my purchasing A5 in the first place. In fact Alpha had you call me because of my pre-sales apprehension about the product. It would be absolutely disasterous for you to not participate on this forum. I know that there has got to be a large number of users that must feel the same way.

I feel so strong about your personal involvment I really think that Alpha should PAY YOU to participate. I say this with great passion. I don't know how big of a company Alpha is but I can guarantee you they have the means to pay you and pay you WELL.

There are others that merit similar consideration in varying degrees of importance but something needs to be done soon. Let's face it, it's not like there are no alternative options in program development. C'mon Alpha, please hear our pleas.

Comment

Originally posted by Fulltimer View Post
                          I have similar complaints about the documentation and the clear lack of being assured that a serious issue would ever be resolved.
                          Excuse me for jumping in, but what "serious issue," specifically, has Alpha not assured you "would ever be resolved?"

One could spend months working on a project only to be stumped near the "end" of the project by a feature that can not be implemented and this lack of completion can "taint" the whole product.
                          What feature has you so "stumped," so as to "taint" your whole product?

If more people speak up and do it consistenly, then maybe the company will take notice and "fix" the problem.
                          What, exactly, is the "problem," and how would you suggest Alpha "fix" it.

Anyone using A5, from novice to guru knows for a fact that A5's help system is next to useless. We also know that were it not for a few A5 guru's who contribute to this forum, a lot of us would be flat out left in the cold. Personally I would have had to dump the product after two weeks of use. I've gained some expertise in a number of different computer languages and in no other platform have I spent so much time on trying to make a specific function work in the manner it was intended. I also get very frustrated in a component that worked five minutes ago, suddenly stops working in the same manner.
                          Re "help system is next to useless," what is wrong with it... what should they do to it?

Re "Specific function" that doesn't work as "intended," which function?

Re component that works, but then doesn't work... which component... what exactly seems to be the problem?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by michaelwpayton View Post
                            Excuse me for jumping in, but what "serious issue," specifically, has Alpha not assured you "would ever be resolved?"
                            Michael,

It is clear to me that your responses to the subject of this thread are intended to cast doubt of the validity of those submitting related posts.

Are you an attorney? Are you trying to raise reasonable doubt? Why do YOU need to have every single issue spelled out to you. The specifics of what "most of us" are talking about are peppered throughout this forum. You can find hundreds of them if you wanted to sit down and read them.

Review the questions and see how many are left unresolved. I see by your join date that it hasn't been very long since you joined. Maybe you have'nt tried enough "real application" developement to run into snags of your own.

You certainly seem to sound like a person who is having no problems. To me, a person having no problems with A5 is not attempting anything serious. Just like in a legal deposition, is it your job to simply read the forum and ask everyone to explain themselves. Well we have real work to do and don't have time for such "verbose" explanations, especially when the questions do not appear genuine.

Maybe you are still evaluating A5 and want your "fears" allayed before you get yourself really involved with the product. Well let me warn you, your biggest concerns will begin to occur when your 30 day evaluation is over.

In any case, those who take the time to try to understand and make the product better are Alpha's biggest supporters. Those who couldn't give a s*&% simply just don't do anything. They may or may not be really committed. Those of us who really care, want Alpha to "be all it can be."

Comment

Tom

Here is some suggested reading that you'll find helpful.

http://www.robertfulghum.com/
                              Al Buchholz
                              Bookwood Systems, LTD
                              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Working...
                              X