Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

What's good about the WAS and what's not so good ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's good about the WAS and what's not so good ...

Tom,

As you liked to start your rant, "It is clear to me..." that all you want in this thread is for everyone to agree with you and, I guess, do nothing productive!!! And then to name call at that... Maybe time to step back a bit and cool down. None of us are ganging up on you. After reading many of your posts, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Michael has not once said that there is not deficiencies. He just asked everyone to be specific instead of just ranting. That would actually make this thread very worthwhile to all of us. And Alpha if we want them to read this.

As a start, I would like to say that over the years that I have learnt a lot by following examples and then entering them myself. It gives you a quick overall study of the interface as well as methods in which someone else uses to accomplish certain goals. Yes the AlphaSports sample is excellent but for a new person to Alpha, it would be more educational to actually build the AlphaSports app from written instructions. Many years ago, I purchased Dr. Wayne's book and was able to go through and build his checkbook application. It taught me an awful lot about where to even enter things into the interface. As AlphaFive is not a mainstream product in the bookstores, I believe it is imperative for the marketing gurus At AlphaSoftware to get more examples done like this. Again from my yesteryears, I remember how magazines used to have sections of code each month that added on to the previous months installation. If Alpha followed this method, in short order they could have something quite useful for anyone to start with. The sample app in the docs (I think it was AlphaMovies) has so many mistakes in it that it becomes frustrating for a new user.

As for the current docs, they are mostly technical docs and not really a "help" manual as so many tend to call it. This is an area that needs to be seriously looked at in my mind. For Alpha to call their product able to be used by non-programmers, then they need to start catering better to that market. After a few years of using it, I do believe it to be very powerful without doing any real programming. But it took a long while for me to figure out what I have.

The current docs are quite behind the time as the last update was now a year ago. So many things have changed since then (like a new version) that it really should be dealt with. Someone needs to be dealing with everything that is sent to the link in the docs for updates. For those that have sent in corrections, it seems like you are wasting your time and hinders them from continuing to do so. When there was a person in charge of the documentation, updates were quite regular. I think that Alpha will have to consider this position with a lot more urgency considering what some members have said recently.

This also brings up another point to be thought about - AlphaSoftware is not a big company. This does seriously limit what it is that they can do and they have to decide where there resources are best used. I think that it is quite well known that we are all pushing for more help in the documentation and education areas. And my own specific requests would be to update the technical docs that are already there and then to expand greatly in the area of further samples.

As for the forum, it is the greatest resource there is right now for help. And all those that answer questions, right or wrong, at least shows that everyone is trying to help one another as there is always more than one way to look at a problem. I just want to thank all those people who have taken their time to respond as I have learnt so much from everyones questions and answers and look forward to reading many more in the future. At the same time, this might be a good time to call out on all those other people who like to use this forum but return very little in return to others questions. We all need to participate to make this fairer to all involved.

I eagerly await Steve Woods post as I am sure that it will be done with all the professionalism and articulate thinkng that he usually exhibits in all his posts and documentation that he has made available for download. He has a much broader knowledge of AlphaFive than most of us and his post should be good food for thought for all of us to comment on.

Comment

Yom and Michael,

You both may have pushed it a little bit far, but both views got noted in my mind. Seems more helpful docs and examples are needed, and both of you got there with no problem.

The good thing is, the people on here each have their own abilities and understanding of how to use certain functions and other actions very well. By using this forum, we are all sharing our knowledge to the others who don't understand the usages.

Thank God for the forum,,, uh Alpha too.
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Fulltimer View Post
        Michael,

It is clear to me that your responses to the subject of this thread are intended to cast doubt of the validity of those submitting related posts.
        You couldn't be more mistaken.

Are you an attorney? ...... Maybe you have'nt tried enough "real application" developement to run into snags of your own.
        No, I'm not an attorney. But, I (and my staff) did design and develop the most successful "justice oriented" management information system in history... maintain and support thousands, upon thousands of users of that system, across the US and 2 other countries, for over 20 years... and sell that company to a publicly traded corporation. So, maybe that's the "legal vibe" you are are picking up.

Of course, you would think I would have learned something prior to that when I designed, developed, maintained and supported the human resource, payroll and procurement systems for NASA... agency-wide, i.e. 11 centers, across the US. But, perhaps the systems I designed and developed for a number of highly respected Fortune 500 companies... including Morgan Stanley, Chase and First Boston... somehow have clouded my ability to function as you would prefer... or, maybe, going way back... I'm 48 now... perhaps it was those 6 vertical market software packages... I designed, developed and maintained that really did me in. Who knows...

Well we have real work to do and don't have time for such "verbose" explanations, ...
        Considering that two of my questions required one word answers... the name of a "function" you were referring to and the name of a "component" you were referring to... do you really think "verbose explanations" are what I am looking for?

Maybe you are still evaluating A5 and want your "fears" allayed before you get yourself really involved with the product. Well let me warn you, your biggest concerns will begin to occur when your 30 day evaluation is over.
        No, we are well on our way... and making pretty good progress, thank you, but I appreciate the warning.

No tool is perfect... or even does things in the way I would prefer, most of the time. It is because of these, and other, facts of application development life... that we have always found it necessary to 1) provide extremely specific feedback to our development environment supplier/partner... just as we ask for it from our clients... and 2) we always find ways to work WITH the tool, to accomplish what we need rather than... well, let's just say... rather than take the approach some others choose.

I am truly sorry if I have offended you... or anyone else... with my request for clarification of your concerns. I assure you... our only intentions re this forum are 1) to learn as much as we can and 2) to eventually contribute/help out, as much as we can.
        "all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by michaelwpayton View Post
          Is the documentation/help incomplete? If so, what functions/features are not currently documented? Have the problems been reported to Alpha and they have refused to correct the situation?
          One thing that I think might solve this problem (and do away with the need for more extensive documentation) is something I suggested in the wishlist forum - more context-sensitive help/popup suggestions and genies/menus especially in the code editor. At the moment, it either completely cuts out the Xbasic genies when CE is open in a web app element, or it simply shows all Xbasic functions that relate mostly to forms etc. Some things like calling up reports, which DOES work in the web environment, you can't even access through genies which is a shame because genies are a great way of teaching yourself the basics of the code (to get you started).

Comment

Most of the critical comments made in this thread are very much on target, it seems to me. Some of the counter-criticism (i.e. those criticizing the critics) is misplaced, it also seems to me. Here are some relevant points, IMHO:
            • Alpha needs to update the year old documentation, and keep it up to date.
            • Alpha's documentation is quite good as far as it goes.
            • BUT, Alpha's documentation does not address the many complex implementations of certain functionality with respect to the WAS, etc, as Gary points out.
            • Steve Wood almost single handedly supports this particular forum. If he bales out, everyone loses. This is not to say that there are not many other contributers, but he consistently and regularly comes through for others.
            • Alpha is a very small company, thus the limitations lamented here in this thread.
            • If Alpha is growing, it doesn't show, as suggested by the relatively low activity on this WAS forum. If Alpha does not grow substantially at some point, these complaints (in this thread) may never be addressed.
            • Thus, Alpha may be in a catch-22: it cannot grow because it lacks sufficient resources to address these complaints - and, it cannot gain the needed resources, unless it grows.
            • Having said that, Alpha ignores its critics at its own peril. But given the catch-22, what can they do?
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I have been reading this thread with great interest.

I would like to make a few comments that i hope will be viewed as being helpful.

1) a new book on functions and expressions is being finalized and will be released this month

2) a new book on xbasic is also being finalized for release either this month or next month

3) we are looking to expand the video tutorials that are available

4) we will work harder to get a greater level of participation on this message board by Alpha employees

5) the participation by alpha users as providers of help is most important and is appreciated

6) a book on building web apps in Alpha Five is being developed

7) if you are building an application and are stuck on one or two things, you can always contact Theresa Johnston at [email protected] and she can put you in touch with an Alpha Five Professional expert such Steve Wood
              for some mentoring to get you over your hump

8) i am always open to receiving communication and constructive suggestions at [email protected]

sincerely
              Richard Rabins
              Co Chairman
              Alpha Software

Comment

Richard, the discussion is not about training it's about resource allocation to maintain an up to date, reliable, logical and context sensitive help system that includes many of the non-documented, but necessary to know commands needed when developing in the WAS. I said several years ago now, taking the line that the WAS and the desktop can be supported as the one product will only work if they are 100% compatible, but as only some functions work and the placement of a logical insertion point for code is done by hooks and threads and best guess due to lack of instruction by the help file, it just can't be. The desktop and the WAS may be better broken into smaller parts when it comes to help files, each only dealing with one or the others capabilities, and concentrating on the 20% of the material 80% of developers want 100% of the time first, then eventually 100%. Doing nothing is clearly unacceptable.
                This is a good product, just like the Space Shuttle is a fine space ship, but only if you know how to fly it and have somewhere to turn when you need to help and support to understand one of its many functions built into it over the years. � That said keep up the good work, the efforts of all are greatly appreciated by many of us, this is an issue that was bound to come up sooner or later, and we just need to fix it. In my view it is the single biggest thing holding back up-take of the product even more important than new functionality and development.
                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

thanks for the input Peter!

btw we will also be adding more content here

http://www.alphasoftware.com/documentation/
                  Richard Rabins
                  Co Chairman
                  Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                    ... this is an issue that was bound to come up sooner or later, and we just need to fix it. In my view it is the single biggest thing holding back up-take of the product even more important than new functionality and development.
                    I echo Pete's concerns that giving us the means to more effectively get the most of what we've got, is paramount over giving us additional "nifty" new features which only add to the already confused state.

Remember the saying, "If if ain't broke, don't fix it!" Well in the current state of A5 the statement might better be put as:

"If it doesn't work, just pray you'll find an answer!"

I was however greatly pleased that Richard responded to this thread. It's given me a new breath of hope for my own A5 future.

The WAS is "all important" to many of us. In a previous thread I voiced my thoughts that the product may be in need of a split because too many things are different in the desktop version and the web version. I've spent untold days and weeks learning things that didn't apply to my web app.

Again, thank you Richard for showing us that someone up there at Alpha is listening.

Comment

Boy, this certainly generated a lot of response!

In my opinion, there is already a huge amount of ducumentation, which could be made more current, and complete, as has already been said above.

But, I think the tomes of documentation, while needed as a reference, is too intimidating to really put your arms around. I think a concise 50 page or so "Primer of the WAS" is what would make this apparently wonderful product more accerssible to the masses. The tomes would be there for further study.

The primer should cover the basics of such things as where and how to use Xbasic, how to run scripts, how to do reports, and perhaps even some comments on how to do some of the things on the WAS that we already know how to do on the desktop. I think about 20 or consise pages on just the bullets would be great, and maybe another 20 or 30 pages on step by step insructions on how to build a WAS app from the ground up. Maybe more than pages, but keep it as simple as possible, so that ebveryone can get an app on the WAS, aqnd could then go to the gigantic 6000 page help file for further info.

Gary
                      Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Gary

thanks for this past email -- your specific suggestions are most helpful!
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

Comment

One of the readers of this post sent me this email

Richard

There already is a book on building web apps.

http://shop.intellectualbusinesssolu...ode=ASIV8_BWA1

I think it is an effective product to teach users the basics about building a web application. It walks them through building a sample application step by step.
                          Richard Rabins
                          Co Chairman
                          Alpha Software

Comment

Richard,

I already have it - and I am now going to look at it again ...

Gary
                            Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Hi again,

Well, I reviewed the entire book, all 400 pages of it. It is a good intro for the novice user, and certainly has its place. Rather little on code though.

I, and I believe many others here on the forum, are thirsting for much more detail on how to get the most out of the WAS, but in a more easily accessible form than the present help system. Perhaps more videos is the way to go. Perhaps articles on specific topics, based on questions raised by users in the forum.

In mastering a complex topic, I like to curl up and sink my teeth into a written source. I like to sit by the pool and read on a topic, and while it would be great exercise, it would be difficult to lug 6000 pages with me out there. Even my psychopharmacology books were not even close to that big. And there were nice summary books like Psychopharmacology Made Ridiculously Simple that got some main points across, and then the bigger authoritative texts were there for more detail.

I know I am rambling a little bit, but the point I think has been made.

Gary
                              Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

fyi

here is the table of contents for the upcoming newly updated book on xbasic

see pdf attachement
                                Richard Rabins
                                Co Chairman
                                Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                                X