Alpha Video Training

Thread: Application Printing Issue

Real Name
    Gary Fletcher

Default Application Printing Issue

Have an application that generates a PDF file from input data once submit is pushed. This works fine almost all the time. For some reason lately I am getting an error and the app is hanging during the printing action. What might cause this to work most of the time but occasionally not? I recently moved this application from one server to another. All the appropriate Alias have been changed and the app seems to work fine 99% of the time.

Attached event log screen gif.

Real Name
    Gary Fletcher

Default Re: Application Printing Issue

This is really becoming a critical problem as when it happens all applications on the WAS server are not functionl. The exact error message is:
    Printer Not Activated - Errro Code 30

This appears to be a problem in other software on the net from what I can tell. Does anyone have a solution to this for A5v8??

Gary

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Gary, go to your server, select printers, and see if the ayumi printer is installed. If not, there is an installation exe in the application server program directory.

Pat

Real Name
    Gary Fletcher

I have completed this installation. Does this need to be the default printer? Right now I have the Alpha printer as the default.

Gary

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

I don't think so. Try it and see.

Real Name
    Clive Swanepoel

Gary:

Also check that the Printer Spooler is running on the server. It is often set to start manually, you can set it to start automatically. The pdf printer will not work unless the printer spooler is running.

Clive
    Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
    Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Real Name
    Steve Wood

The print spooler should be OFF for the Alpha Five Printer driver (Clive may be referring to a server spooling setting, not related to the driver itself. I don't know where that is set.)

Here are some comparisons that will help.

I have four instances of Application Server running. Consistent on ALL of those machines:

The Alpha Five Printer Spooler is set to OFF. Properties > Advanced > Print Directly to the Printer is selected.

I have ONLY the Alpha Five Printer. Gary, you have an additional one named Amyuni Document Converter. I don't have that on any machine. Did this error exist before you ran the install step Pat suggeste below, which I assume added the Amyuni Converter driver.

On all of my Alpha Five Printer drivers, if I right-click and select Printing Preferences, I get the -30 error you get. As I go through the driver, the -30 error pops up on several of the button selections. But it does not affect normal operations, PDF's print as normal.

Every single configuration page of your Alpha Five Printer is the same as my working driver; same version, exact same settings etc. Except on the Ports page where your says "Amyuni Document Converter, Alpha Five Printer" and mine just says "Alpha Five printer". That's curious and would encourage me to delete the Amyuni Document Converter driver as a start, then check the Alpha Five driver to see what remains under Port.

Beyond that, you have to test when it happens. What report, exactly when.
    Last edited by Steve Wood; 11-10-2007 at 06:51 AM. Reason: unsure about the spooler, driver or server setting?
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Steve Wood

I figure now that Clive was referring to the Print Spooler that is found under Services for the server. I check and it is running, set to Auto.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Gregory Zilliox

Also, under recovery, set it to restart, restart again, then on third try maybe set it to reboot.
    Greg

Real Name
    Steve Wood

What is 'recovery'?
    Steve Wood

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Steve,

Under services for when you are looking at a particular service right click and choose properties and you will find on a tab the area referenced as recovery--it allows you to decide how your OS will respond to when some service does not start---how many retries, etc.
    Mike

Real Name
    Steve Wood

OK. If you mean the Print Spooler, that service is running fine and not part of the problem, at least here.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Gregory Zilliox

Future reference. If a service should suddenly stop, the recovery feature will advise the OS on what to do. I alway will set the recovery tab on Apps. like MSSQL and MSSQLAgent. If SQL agent stops, non of your batch jobs will run.
    Greg

Real Name
    Gary Fletcher

For close to a week now I have had no problems with the printer hanging up. For some reason today, I once again got the error message. I have removed the Amyuni Converter printer, but the driver still remains and I don't see an Alpha driver for the Alpha printer.

I DID have the problem before I installed the Amyuni printer so I anticipate that the problem will return. I don't understand how things can work fine for so long and then have this error which makes the applcation unaccessible to users until I remote to the server an close the error window.

Any more ideas? Thanks.
    Gary

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Gary - go to the A5 config screen and turn on all of the logging functions, then wait for an error:

1) see if you can figure out when the error occured. There should be a message in the servers Event Log.

2) look at the A5 logs for the same moment and see what the user was doing.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Gary Fletcher

Steve...
    Done. I will see what happens. I still don't understand why you are seeing an Alpha driver and I see the other one. I did restart the WAS server, but did not restart Windows when I deleted the Amyuni Covnerter printer. Do you think I need to in order to get rid of the Amyuni driver?

G

Real Name
    Gary Fletcher

Steve... I have had another printer hang and again it shuts down all access to any of the WAS server applications. I have looked at the logs but unfortunately cannot make anything out of them. I really don't know what I am looking at. I know about what time this happened, but not sure what I am comparing with what and where the logs are that I am looking for. Can you tell me any more about this. This mystery is killing me! The only way I am able to fix is to go in by destop remote and close that printer error window. The server is down until I can do that so when I am away from my computer I can't close it.

Any more ideas on this?? It's really as serious problem. Anyone from Alpha that has any input here???

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by graysarge View Post
    but not sure what I am comparing with what and where the logs are that I am looking for.
    Steve is referring to the system event log that is located by going to the control panel - administrative tools - event viewer (at least for XP)

Then look for an entry at or about the time of the trouble. Chances are it's color coded yellow or red.....
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Gary,

I looked at the event logs and can't figure out when that msg poped up. I also note you have thousands of records saying the app server was restarted. If you want I can do this late tonight, when no one is on, purge the event log and change some of how you have AlwaysUp set. I think IT Is restarting the app server very often based on some setting. I bet its possible if the server is rebooting just as someone is printing, that might cause this. I know you have lots of folks printing this report.

Also, Lenny has said he is interested in anything that kills the app server, so I'd touch base with him too.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Gary Fletcher

Thanks Al...I did look at this and am very confused by what I see. To start with, when I look at START>PRINERS> I see printers shown that are NOT on the server, but are on my local system (I am looking at the server using Desktop Remote). I am assuming that it's picking these up from some sort of "network" look. Once I get into the event log, I see things like red circles with an X and when I look at PROPERTIES the items I see do not make sense. The error shows something related to the printers that are not even on that server! I also see yellow triangles with an exclamation point. Again, related to printer issues. I'm attaching one of the errors that I looked at and this printer is not on any system.

Also, in Googling the net on this error code 30, it's saying that it's a timeout error. Some have suggested it's a latency error. These comments go back awhile.

Real Name
    Gary Fletcher

Steve...
    It happened around 3:30-3:45 my time today. Please do what you can. Whatever it takes to stop this problem is what I need done. This is causing me real problems and some unhappy customers. As you know, I can't afford to have this down for long periods of time. We get people from around the world using the Makeup application, so you can do your thing whenever it works for you to reset things. The other client you are very familar with is not active after around 6 my time.

Thanks. I will alert them that maintenance might be going on later tonight.

Gary

Real Name
    Gary Fletcher

Steve...
    The reports that I get from Always up are not showing any restarts except those that I cause. I did one today and one yesterday. Certainly not thousands.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

I left it up on your server screen for 11/9-13. Some of those comments are restarts. If you scroll back, esp to 11/4 and prior, you see restarts every few minutes. If you compare that to my server, I have no such activity at all.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Gary Fletcher

I have no idea why that would be happening. There are a lot of very strange error messages even up to yesterday. I will be attaching a PDF of a number of these messages and will be sending also to the hosting company were the server is located. Some of these are Alpha related and some do not appear to be, but I am not a techie so am not sure what they mean or if they are nomal.

Gary

Real Name
    Gary Fletcher

I continue to get the error "Printer Not Activated - Error Code 30" on a random basis and have no clue as to why. In searching the internet I have found one item in a forum that relates to a printer module that I think is used by Alpha58. Here's the post:

"As you mentioned, EnablePrinter() enables the PDF Printer for a short time. And this is because you are able to print to the PDF Printer only progarmmatically and not from Windows applications like MSWord or MS Excel by example. This is true for the Developers licenses of our Converter.

You can call EnablePrinter() when catching the EnablePre() event fired by the driver.

If this didn't help, you can contact our Technical Support team support@amyuni.com and explain to them the situation to check if you can get another activation code."

Is the Alpha 5V8 printer that is installed for PDF using the amyuni drivers? And could this somehow be my problem? This has been going on for some time and driving Steve W and me nuts! Or maybe I'm driving him nuts, but either way I REALLY need to squash this bug!!!

Gary:(:confused:

Real Name
    Paul Velke

Just wondering if anything was found on this issue. I have this problem with my application. It is a heavily used application with many reports being printed daily. It runs days or even over a week, then gets the "Printer not activated" error on the server, and stops WAS from working until the box is cleared.

Real Name
    Gary Fletcher

I removed all printers that were showing and have only the Alpha 5 Printer and the Microsoft XPS Document Writer, with the A5 Printer as the default. This problem has been resolved as it relates to the printer error.

Real Name
    Paul Velke

Thanks Gary. I think it was done already on our server, but I will double check.