Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Table name recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Table name recommendation

Hello...
    In the A5V8 documentation, I find the following:
    "Table and Field Names
    Alpha Five recommends that table names, field names, and paths to your files start with a letter (A-Z or a-z) and be composed of letters, numbers (0-9), and underscore (_) characters."

I am now in the process of "converting" all my FMpro databases to A5V8. Because of one client's requirements to save a copy of their table's data at a particular point, I have been in the habit of naming tables beginning with the date in numerals, i.e., "20080202tablename". From the above info, this might cause problems, although I cannot determine why this naming format would do so. I always put the date first because it sorts the tables by date within a folder.

Having thought about table naming since yesterday afternoon, I have come up with the following solution if the above naming convention might cause problems for me:
    Given:
    1. The 2000 series of years will be around longer than I will.
    2. The first 26 years of the 2000 series of years will be around longer
    than my business will, and possibly, longer than I will.
    New date convention:
    1st character: A-Z, beginning with 2001=A.
    Therefore 2008=H, 2009=I, ..., 2026=Z
    2nd character: 1=Jan, 2=Feb, ..., 9=Sep, A=Oct, B=Nov, C=Dec
    3rd and 4th characters: 01=1, 02=2, .... 30=30, 31=31 (day of the month)

Actually, I like the above as the date can be specified in 4 characters.

It looks like I have answered my own question; but, if I have missed something, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by sknightstar; 02-08-2008, 05:15 PM. Reason: changed punctuation

Re: Table name recommendation

Or you could take and separate the dates from the table names (if consistantly named) and place them ALL in the same table. This could then simple be filtered by whatever you want...generally I think this is what most would have in an Alpha DB at least, as is very easy to filter (view) whatever data is wanted and yet have all the information right at hand without "umpteen" tables to deal with.

Just a thought...your way would certainly work too.
    Mike

Comment

Or you could use a single character followed by your convention:

X20080202tablename
      X20080517tablename
      etc.

or an underscore:

_20080202tablename
      _20080517tablename
      etc.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter,

I have seen this before in that some people start names with an underscore but according to the naming recommendations of Alpha, names should start with a letter and starting with an underscore would be analogous to starting with a number (which is fairly well known to cause problems).

Any thoughts??
        Mike

Comment

If you crosstab a table and group by columns on a numeric field, Alpha will place an underscore before each numeric value which becomes a field name.

Probably not the best choice to name a field with a leading underscore but apparently at least "legal"/
          There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks Stan. So it seems that Alpha, in this case, goes against its own documentation! I will find it in the help file and submit this as a possible revision using the "Comment" . I guess that is the reason why I posted in the first place...to find out what the inconsistancy was, not realizing that even Alpha used beginning underscores.

:)
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
              Any thoughts??
              Mike,

In addition to what Stan said, I think the problem is beginning names w. numbers. I believe underscores are generally safe. These days, I use underscores as the 1st character of set names. That way I get a clean sort between tables & sets.
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks Peter,

I just added to the requested amendments to the documentation via the "Comment" hotspot to basically say what has been said in this thread--that apparently users (and Alpha) use the underscore as the lead character in naming and the documentation should reflect this.

I just checked and so far none of my "suggestions / corrections" have been implemented as of yet for the documentation...at least 5 Comments made so far, two of which got a confirmation reply from Alpha about 5-6 months ago. (noone at Alpha to do it I guess! :( )

EDIT:

:D @ Peter!
                |
                |
                \/
                Last edited by MikeC; 02-09-2008, 12:12 AM.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                  (no one at Alpha to do it I guess! :( )
                  Yeah, a technical writer shortage it would seem. Maybe that will get back to normal after the writer's strike ends.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Uh, oh. I just noticed I am still using hyphens in my table names.
                    I have been doing this for so many, many years, it's become a habit and I don't even think about it.
                    I have used a hyphen in many of my newly "converted" tables.
                    Although A5V8's documentation does not specifically recommend using a hyphen in a table name, it seems to be OK, so far.
                    Am I going to run into a problem, in the future, because of using a hyphen in a table name?
                    Thank you,
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sknightstar View Post
                      Am I going to run into a problem, in the future, because of using a hyphen in a table name?
                      I have lots of old tables w. spaces in the names and even one or two w. hyphens. They seem to work ok. But if you're rebuilding stuff, I would suggest not to use hyphens or spaces.

A long time ago, I had a hyphen in my path folder name, and Alpha sure didn't like that. Not sure if that's still a problem these days.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by sknightstar View Post
                        Uh, oh. I just noticed I am still using hyphens in my table names.
                        I have been doing this for so many, many years, it's become a habit and I don't even think about it.
                        I have used a hyphen in many of my newly "converted" tables.
                        Although A5V8's documentation does not specifically recommend using a hyphen in a table name, it seems to be OK, so far.
                        Thank you,
                        Steve
                        I would think that you will run into a problem and it will be a devil of an issue to resolve. Much of Alpha is written in xbasic and xdialog. I have helped others diagnose issues where the underlying xbasic for an operation failed because Alpha was interpreting a table name, containing a hyphen, as a statement subtracting two variables. If I remember correctly it was an append operation.

As ever, my memory is faulty. It was an append operation but it was a space in the table name.

I think the same logic applies. If it doesn't confrom to the published specification, don't do it.
                        Last edited by Stan Mathews; 02-11-2008, 04:13 PM.
                        There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
                          I think the same logic applies. If it doesn't confrom to the published specification, don't do it.
                          Ratz. Since I started with DOS, I just will not use spaces in path, directory, folder, file, document, table, field, etc names. I also have a personal bias against using Underscores because they look like spaces.
                          Well, it�s time to move along, abide by the (A5V8) rules, and get rid of the Hyphens I have in my table, browse, and report names.

Thank you, Stan, for pointing out where I could run into �Hyphen� problems.
                          Steve

Comment

I've never seen any problems with underscores, but hyphens and spaces are bad for Alpha as well as others.

Also, don't use fieldnames or index names greater than 10 characters. Once they go over 10, they are stored in an incompatible to a Dbase IV standard that means the data is harder to resurrect when you have corruptions (which occasionally have been know to happen to some)

My biggest concern is using pointers like pointer.and.subpointer be interpreted as an .and. of two values rather than a long pointer. So don't use .AND.,.OR.,.NOT.,.XOR. as a pointer. Similarly, be careful of multiply * near a function that starts with an * (occasionally used by Alpha). In that case, make sure there is a space or parenthesis between the *s.
                            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                            New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Originally posted by csda1 View Post
                              Also, don't use fieldnames or index names greater than 10 characters. Once they go over 10, they are stored in an incompatible to a Dbase IV standard that means the data is harder to resurrect when you have corruptions.
                              UH, OH... That brings up an important, to me, question:
                              If I already have a field whose name is more than ten characters, it's stored in the incompatible standard. If I then re-structure the table to make the field name 10 characters, is it still stored in the incompatible structure? If it is, is there a way to correct the situation?
                              Thank you, Ira.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X