Alpha Video Training

Thread: How can I print a table’s structure? The answer

Real Name
    Steve

Default How can I print a table’s structure? The answer

I don’t need to, thanks to Stan Mathews.

In a previous thread with the subject “How can I print a table’s structure?”, Stan provided this answer:
    “With the edit structure "genie" open for the table in question, drag select as you would in a spreadsheet. Ctrl-C to copy. Open a spreadsheet program, paste.”

My purpose in asking the question was to be able to change the structure of Table2 so it would perfectly match the structure of Table1. With a print of the structure of Table1, I could then use the edit structure “genie” to make changes to the structure of Table2 while looking at the print of the structure of Table1.

Thinking about Stan’s answer just now, I opened a blank Excel spreadsheet, placed the cursor in cell A1, followed Stan’s instructions to copy and paste a table’s structure into the spreadsheet.
    Then I thought, “Hmmmmm… Maybe I don’t have to make a print of the table’s structure…
    I placed the cursor in the spreadsheet to cell F1 and followed Stan’s instructions to copy and paste another table’s structure into the spreadsheet. BINGO!!! There’s both tables’ structures right alongside of one another. I can easily see the differences. More to the point, I can make changes directly in the spreadsheet, copy the changed structure, and paste it back into the edit structure “genie”. How easy and no printing!

For anyone new to Alpha, as I am, you have Stan Mathews to thank for a very easy way to compare, and change, the structure of two (or more, I suppose) tables.

Steve

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Default Re: How can I print a table’s structure? The answer

caution: if you have tables with existing data, and you open the table - deletre all the fields, and then paste all the fields from the spreadsheet back, you will devastate the data
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Dave Mason

being from the very old school, I never thought of using a spread sheet that way.

you could just copy the table structure and leave out the data and layouts.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by martinwcole View Post
    caution: if you have tables with existing data, and you open the table - deletre all the fields, and then paste all the fields from the spreadsheet back, you will devastate the data
    Delete all the fields? Just reading that is scary.
    Martin, you are absolutely correct. I didn't think about deleting anything because the instructions were to copy, not delete.
    Since I am the one who spent 2 1/2 days making my first report work, then promptly found a most elegant way to delete it, please heed Martin's caution.
    (I know I will.)
    Steve

Real Name
    chris bell

Try this function as layed out in the attachment. Just use "Tablenames" as input when calling function
    Last edited by christobal; 02-15-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: leftovers
    “There is nothing like a dream to create the future.”
    But then again:
    Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing and to steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research!