Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Logging into WAS application from Alpha Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logging into WAS application from Alpha Desktop

I need to allow my A5V8 desktop application to upload files to a complementary WAS webapp that imports data from the desktop app for use on the web.

I don't want the data to be uploaded to a world-writable folder. Ideally I'd like the desktop application to log into the web app for the user, then upload the file to a location only available to an authenticated web application user.

I realize I could use FTP for this, but I'm not keen on embedding FTP login info in my code.

So, question 1: Is it possible to craft a URL to log into a WAS login dialog, like

http://mysite.com?userid=me?password=mypassword

Is this the best way to login to the web app?

Second, short of sending keystrokes to a browser window with a file upload dialog, can anyone think of a way to upload to a folder that's not world-accessible?

Third, if I am able to upload to the webapp programmatically *without* using a file upload dialog, will I have to use something like FolderWatch on the server to look for files to import?

Fourth, am I overthinking this? Can I just upload the file to a world-accessible folder and use something like FolderWatch to move the files to a secure location when the server spots it? If I do that, how do I notify the server that the upload is complete?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Logging into WAS application from Alpha Desktop

Not sure what you are asking. If you want to share your desktop app data on the web using the WAS, you don't need to "upload" data files anywhere. As long as you implement security on the WAS, no one get at your data. Period. Just because the WAS is on the web, doesn't mean that the data is accessable to those who shouldn't be able to get at it. They can't - as long as you implement standard built-in WAS security.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't too clear in my initial post, I was still trying to figure out how the WAS security deals with files.

I don't want the desktop app to publish the data to the webapp, I'm talking about a desktop runtime app that exports data as a zip file to be imported on the server.

I want the desktop app to automatically upload that zip file to the webapp, and have the server extract the files, import them into the webapp dbf files, and do it all with as little user intervention as possible.

How can I do that?

The two ways I *know* I can do it are 1) by having the user login to the webapp and use a file upload dialog. This is not very automated.

2) use a script to FTP the files to the webserver, then maybe have the desktop application invoke a page that starts the processing, or alternately have the server run Folderwatch.

#2 is the best method I can think of, I was just wondering if anyone else has a better idea.

Comment

Again, I don't know why you want to do it that way, but I suppose it is possible. The "standard" way is like this:

Say your desktop app has tables: A,B, C, D & E. You only want the web to show certain records of Table B. Assuming that your desktop files are on the server anyway, you just cionfigure the web app to filter table B and only allow access to those records of that table to legal users that have a password.

BUT, if you need to do it the way you described, then that is much more difficult. Do a search in this and WAS-7 forum on uploading files.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I don't think I'm communicating clearly. I already have web security implemented. Users of the web app can only see their records, etc. Got that all worked out.

I have hundreds of desktop users that will be uploading data to this web application. They will be constantly updating their data and uploading it daily. I want this to be a 1 click process for the user if possible.

The web app will delete their old data from the web app tables, take their uploaded data file and import it so it's available to their customers on the web.

Clearer picture?

I have searched the forum and I don't see another method other than the ones I outlined in my previous post. I was just hoping someone might see a method I overlooked.

Comment

Yes, you can create a URL like you suggest that automatically logs in to the web application. The function is a5ws_login_user() and its not in the Hlelp document. But it has bubble help if you type that function into code.

You would create an A5W page that expects a URL with userid and password (at least) as parameters and then use the function to automaticlaly log the person in.

Use at your own risk.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thank you Steve. I've been avidly reading your posts here on the board and they've saved me a lot of time in figuring out how to do things with WAS.

I've settled on using FTP to upload the files, then having the desktop A5 app open a URL that will cause file processing to take place.

My main concern is only allowing authorized users to run the processing on that page, so I have a choice of creating an alternate method of authentication, or using the WAS built-in security, so that function will make my life easier.

I had thought about encoding the URL with an MD5 string, but it would require the server to have an MD5 hash of the user's password, and I can't retrieve that from the WAS Web Security.

I think what I will do is encrypt the login info into the uploaded file, then have the server unzip the file, decrypt the login info and proceed with processing if the login is successful.

That way I can use the A5 encryption functions with worrying about URL encoding the string, and I don't have to worry about someone retrieving the user's info from the browser history.

At worst, if someone knows the URL of the processing page and the upload file naming convention AND has the FTP login info, they could upload a zip file with whatever they wanted, and then cause the server to unzip the encrypted login file, but they cannot force processing to continue unless that file contains accurate login info that is encrypted with the proper key.

Can anyone poke holes in my thinking from a security standpoint?

Comment

Sorry for poking my head in on this conversation but thought I would throw a couple of ideas out there.

Seems to me like this is being make more difficult than need be. I am not seeing a reason behind having the username/password encrypted in the file to be uploaded.

You already have created an FTP server, create individual accounts / folders for each of the users that will be uploading via FTP. Secure the folders so only the approved user is able to access the folder. Create a table in the database to store the username / password of the FTP users. Using filters you can limit the display of the data to the record the only the current user should see.
                (I am using Secure FTP 2.5 from www.glub.com, the client side has the capability to encrypt the password for use in a script. I think this would be an easy to use feature to encrypt the password in the table)

On the server side, watch the folders for new files, or batch the process and wait until the end of the day and then process all files in the FTP folders.

Basically by each user having their own folder / password / security you don't have to worry about another user seeing data they shouldn't be seeing. Also you will not have to write your own security implementation but use the one provided by the FTP server.

Forgive me if I have strayed to far offtopic on this one.

-Andy
                Andrew

Comment

Andy,

Thanks for your ideas. That's a viable approach, but for me, it comes down to a question of the overhead of managing the FTP folders/accounts. I will have hundreds of users accessing this. I do not want to have to create/manage hundreds of FTP accounts in addition to the accounts for WAS.

It comes down to how you indicate to the server who the data belongs to. Your method relies on the server checking hundreds of folders for file changes. The assumption on the server side is that only a properly authenticated FTP user has access to that folder.

Seems simpler for me to have a single upload folder with write only access. By embedding the user's login info in the file, the server will know which user's data this is and that it is a valid upload from my desktop app without me having the overhead of duplicating all my WAS accounts in the FTP server and managing a bunch of folders. File naming is not an issue, as it will contain an account number unique to the user.

If someone figures out the FTP login info, the worst they can do is upload a file to the folder or even overwrite a valid upload if they time it just right.

Even if they are able to counterfeit the file the server is expecting to see, without the properly encrypted WAS login info, the server won't do anything with it.

The question of who gets to initiate processing is what I'm still on the fence about. If I set the processing page security to Always Denied, then only WAS could load it via something like FolderWatch.

I like the immediacy of allowing the user to tell the server to deal with their upload, and this will work in a situation where my web app may be hosted where the provider will not allow Folderwatch.

Comment

Working...
                  X