Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Fields with video clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fields with video clips

Is it possible to build a dbase with records holding individual video clips.

Re: Fields with video clips

michael,
    Fairly easy to do using basically a "reference" field...a path to a video file that can be opened with sys_open(). Basically the same way to create a playlist of mp3 s which was a fairly recent thread--do a search for "mp3" and some threads should pop up.
    Mike

Comment

Will this play the video inside the record field box or just create a path to the video clip. I am trying to create a database of horserace video clips for each day of racing along
      with other race information. I want each record to have the embedded video clip for that particular race.

Comment

sys_open() just uses a path to a file and acts like a "doubleclick" on the file, opening the file up with whatever is set as the default player for it.

I think what you want would use an ActiveX object that you could place on a form....have not experimented with that yet but maybe others will chime in that have. :)
        Mike

Comment

michael,
          I just placed the quicktime 2.0 ActiveX Control on a form and with the activex events you could have the topparent:ACTIVEX1.activex.url = "C:\WINDOWS\clock.avi" equal any file you wanted by setting it to a field's path value instead. So is one way to accomplish your need.
          Mike

Comment

Well yes that works in playing the same video in all records. I need a different video for each record. That means that somehow, inside a field I must be able to place a link to a video file to play the video. I am not sue what type of field to start with.

Comment

michael,

Like I said, there were threads on MP3 which should show you this. Here is a link to one I gave a really small example to: Download the example from post 18. Each record has a different link to a MP3 file.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=66362

You could do what you want in much the same way except for using the ActiveX object to play your videos right on your form.
              Last edited by MikeC; 02-19-2008, 10:31 AM.
              Mike

Comment

michael,

I added video to the MP3 example. If something else was wanted, just elaborate a bit more.

Mike

Comment

Hi

I am putting together a very silmilar database, except i dont want my video embedded, i want my video to open in windows media player so i can see it in full screen. Where my problem comes in is that for each record i have 3 different videos, so each record need 3 buttons. Like Ruffian i would also like the buttons on the form, and not on the browse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
                  Cliff

Comment

I guess I'm feeling a little dense today and don't really see a question in your post. What I guess: 1) You have 3 fields in each record to store the paths to video clips, 2) You want these to be on your form, 3) You need a button beside each of these to launch WMP with the appropriate video clip. This sounds pretty straight forward. Where is it that you are having your problem?

Comment

My question is i have 500 records, each record needs 3 different videos (in total 1500 video clips), how do i link 3 buttons, each with a different video to 1 record?

Comment

So in each of those 500 records you need to add 3 fields that contain the path of each of the 3 video clips. This is done with the table editor and will alter the tables structure. You then create a button on your form which will have an Action Script or XBasic code on it which will start up WMP and use the first field as a parameter so that it will load and play. Create 2 more buttons for the other two fields. I realize this is just a rehash of what has already been said, but that is all there is to it.

For clarification (I hope), each of the fields I suggested can contain any paths with them all being different. You will, obviously need to enter all these paths into your database so that it will know what video clips go with what record. When your form is displaying a particular record (forms typically display only 1 master record), pushing one of the buttons will start up WMP using the paths associated with this record. Does this help to explain it better? If not, what part are you not understanding?

Comment

Hi Doug

Thanks for helping.

New to programming, sorry to be stupid, when u say i have to add 3 fields for each record by means of the table editor, please give me a bit more info.

Thanks
                          Cliff

Comment

A table is what you store your data in. In the case of Alpha 5, the default is a .dbf file. You create a table by defining what type of information you want to store (fields). For instance, a customer table might have the fields Customer Number, Name, Address, City, State, Zip, Phone Number, etc. You said that you have 500 records so I assumed that you already had created a table with the data in it. How did you create it? So getting back to Alpha, you should find your table in the Tables/Sets tab. To add the fields I spoke of, right click on the table in question and click on Edit Structure. Read up in the docs about all your options. Once you have done this, each record will now have the place for you to put the paths for the video clips which you will then have to enter.

HTH

Edit: Being new to Alpha, you might want to go over the Getting Started document and follow the example to see how all the basic things work.

Comment

Hi

What i have done is add 6 extra columns, 3 generate 3 different id's eg A00001, B00001, C0001, And 3 hold the path to the video. What script can i use on each of my 3 buttons to direct it to the column with the video path?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X