Alpha Video Training

Thread: Publishing multiple Sites on same server

Real Name
    David Keenen

Default Publishing multiple Sites on same server

Having many issues with this. The first site works great and is published directly to a5webroot (localhost/xxxx.a5w). The second is published to a5webroot\pacs. When I try to hit second site (localhost/pacs/xx.a5w), I get all kinds of 403 forbidden errors. Some say my security credentials don't work and some say the security settings are missing. I have tired everything, republishing, creating a new profile and changing all the settings there, removing security completely from the second app etc. Driving me nuts.

Can anyone assist?

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: Publishing multiple Sites on same server

If the second site is an edited copy of the first, perhaps a file named Guid.SecuritySettings has the same value for both applications. Check, and if so, you can safely delete that file from the second application in both the development files and on the published location, then republish to recreate a unique new one.

These are separate projects, right? You're not trying to "split" one project into two folders?

Each folder needs its own set of security files, as published from your developemnt copy using a profile. In addition to what you would recognize, you should find a file named a5_application.a5i. But really, all of this should be automatic an require no attention, just proper publishing using the profile settings.

To recover, delete the pacs folder under A5Webroot, and republish all; check the Publish Security Tables to ensure security files get sent.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    David Keenen

Steve, thanks for responding. They are separate projects. I had tried the GUID file before. In fact I have tried everything I found in searching the message board.

I tried again to delete the guid file. They are both different. No luck.
    I deleted the entire pacs folder but still getting 403 forbidden saying the security settings on the server are missing or incomplete.

Is it me? Am I missing something?

Real Name
    Steve Wood

I could be completely wrong, can't remember what Jerry last said about this, but perhaps each of your projects needs to be in a separate folder. That is, c:\a5webroot\proj1 and c:\a5webroot\pacs. I've never had a project directly inside a5webroot; I always publish to a unique subfolder under a5webroot for each project. But I have a dozen there, all acting with independent security settings.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Each project should be published to its own folder. If you publish multiple projects to the same folder, the security will be determined by the last project published as its security will overwrite any previous settings. Each folder must have its own unique security, and security guid. You can not publish the same security to multiple folders on the same server.

If you inadvertently published the same security with the same guid in the guid.SecuritySettings file to two or more different folders on a single server, you will get an error when you try to open the second project. Deleting the duplicated files is not enough to clear the errors as some data is stored in the program memory. After deleting the duplicates, you must shut down Alpha Five and restart the program. Stopping and restarting the server alone will not clear the duplicate values in memory.

Real Name
    David Keenen

Perfect!!!!. That did it. I moved the one app out of a5webroot and put it in its own folder. Both apps now work. Thank you both for the help.