New call-to-action

Thread: MySQL back-end with Alpha Five front-end?

Real Name
    Greg Roy

Default MySQL back-end with Alpha Five front-end?

I am new to Alpha Five. I purchased it for various reason (reporting, etc..), But, now I need to create an inventory application and my first inclination is to go with a SQL back-end like MySQL (it that really possible, or do I have to use the native .dbf format?)

I would have multiple users 10 -20 in at the same time. Doing Inventory check-in, picking, shipping etc...

I realize these details are fairly light. But just trying to get a feel for the fit for this purpose. I am going to be evaluating small WHMS, but I have a preference for creating the app to fit our needs not vice-versa.

Thanks,
    Greg

Volunteer Moderator Steve Workings's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steve Workings

Default Re: MySQL back-end with Alpha Five front-end?

Hey everyone! We got ourselves another convert!

Welcome!

Alpha, of course, works well with other back ends. I don't know that you have a specific reason or reasons to use something other than the .dbf. And without hearing more from you, my first take is that the .dbf will handle your needs just fine.

There's a discussion at the top of the Database Design part of this message board that's of related interest. And, of course, the links at the bottom of this thread.
    -Steve

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Steve Workings knows more than I do about this.

pretty much, If you are only going to have that many users and all local, you will be better off with native tables. If you plan on making a web app later, you might think about sql, but I believe it unecessary. I have close to 20 running now and one forum regular has in the hundreds on a lan.

Others will chime in if i am wrong, but I believ you can use the native dbf files on your own server even with sql(not sure about the sql part). i am working on that now and hope to complete a web side app soon similar to the app i have and a lot more.

welcome to the community.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldadesktop.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Greg Roy

Thanks everyone. I will be digging into this in the next month.

--
    Greg

"Certified" Alphaholic NoeticCC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Andrea Gill

Quote Originally Posted by groycvg View Post
    I am new to Alpha Five. I purchased it for various reason (reporting, etc..), But, now I need to create an inventory application and my first inclination is to go with a SQL back-end like MySQL (it that really possible, or do I have to use the native .dbf format?)
    In my (limited) experience, the dbf files - and to some degree also the desktop apps written in A5 - are very useful for data that is used as a lookup for things that don't change that often (or are only changed by a few users compared to the main portion of the data).

Another thing I have found them easier to use for than SQL databases is for storing data that is used to customise an application further (such as images for each department's or customer's controls/web area etc, assignment of departments to staff members and so forth), and for financial and other data that is accessed more locally, by fewer people, or that you want to isolate from remote access as opposed to data that is accessible to a wider audience.

The greater manipulation afforded by desktop apps also means that for my apps, I use them mostly for administrative uses and users, whereas the more straightforward and more limited web interfaces, which run mostly on our Oracle database, are what the majority of users interact with.

Active link tables give a lot more power to what you can do with the desktop side of things though :)