Alpha Video Training

Thread: DropDown Table Lookups

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default DropDown Table Lookups

I love the new enhancements to the table lookup field rule! They put some real muscle in the dropdown display option.

I have a suggestion. The dropdown display will now support the entry of new records to the lookup table itself. The attached image shows how this is implemented. Notice the highlighted text. I think our users will find this prompt confusing since it is the same text that appears by default to enter a new row in the embedded browse object (in this case invoice line items). Using such similar text will cause them to wonder whether the button would enter a new invoice line item or a new product.

I recommend that the prompt be changed to make it clear that the new record would be entered in the lookup table. Perhaps something like:

"Add new entry to lookup list"

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Default Re: DropDown Table Lookups

Probably more flexible if developer can specify "New Record" text as in browse properties.

Bill.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Yes, Bill. I agree. That would be even better. -- tom

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
    I love the new enhancements to the table lookup field rule! They put some real muscle in the dropdown display option.

I have a suggestion. The dropdown display will now support the entry of new records to the lookup table itself. The attached image shows how this is implemented. Notice the highlighted text. I think our users will find this prompt confusing since it is the same text that appears by default to enter a new row in the embedded browse object (in this case invoice line items). Using such similar text will cause them to wonder whether the button would enter a new invoice line item or a new product.

I recommend that the prompt be changed to make it clear that the new record would be entered in the lookup table. Perhaps something like:

"Add new entry to lookup list"
    good idea.

I changed it and now allow a user defined prompt.

to change the text, you would add code to your autoexec, or some other script that did:

dim aa as p
    aa = addin.variables()
    aa.A5Strings.LookupWindow_EnterNewRecordText = "your text here"

this would allow you to dynamically set the text for different lookups in the onArrive event of the field.
    Last edited by Selwyn Rabins; 03-06-2008 at 07:59 PM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Great!

Real Name
    Ted Berry

Hello everyone,

I am new to Alpha Five and I must say what a great group and what a great product.
    My background includes 20 something years of database programming using Paradox (when it was DOS and still Borland), Clarion for DOS and Clarion for Windows. I am retired from the US Navy and almost retired from programming - until I found Alpha. The power and strength of Alpha is totally awesome. I was just reading this thread and noticed the response from Alpha in making little changes that make us all happy. I just wanted to let everyone know how excited I am about being an 'Alpha guy' now and look forward to visiting and sharing with everyone here.

Ted Berry
    Iowa Park, TX

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by TedBerry View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am new to Alpha Five and I must say what a great group and what a great product.
    My background includes 20 something years of database programming using Paradox (when it was DOS and still Borland), Clarion for DOS and Clarion for Windows. I am retired from the US Navy and almost retired from programming - until I found Alpha. The power and strength of Alpha is totally awesome. I was just reading this thread and noticed the response from Alpha in making little changes that make us all happy. I just wanted to let everyone know how excited I am about being an 'Alpha guy' now and look forward to visiting and sharing with everyone here.

Ted Berry
    Iowa Park, TX

Ted

Great to have you on board.

We love people with an attitude like this !

"Certified" Alphaholic mmaisterrena's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mauricio Maisterrena

Is great that you made that change, remember that not all applications are developed for english speaking people

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Ted,

You are a bit far away to easily come to our monthly Dallas Alpha User Group meetings, 2nd Thursday of each month, but if you want to be on our mailing list drop me a note at "bill at partec dot net".

Otherwise we might get together when I am out that way for the Hotter n' Hell ride in August.

Bill.